A Fishkeeping forum. FishKeepingBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FishKeepingBanter.com forum » rec.aquaria.freshwater » General
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Getting a 55 Gallon Tank



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 20th 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Andy[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Getting a 55 Gallon Tank

I am buying a used 55 gallon Oceanic aquarium with cabinet stand and
hood for $75.00. It's a deal I can't pass up. The last time I saw
the tank, it was full of fish and my friend took it down and put it in
his garage.

It's been sitting in the garage for at least 6 years, going through
winters below freezing and summers in the 90s. The tank has been
empty and just sitting there. Is there anything I should be
concerned
about?
  #2  
Old August 25th 10, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Nitesbane
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default Getting a 55 Gallon Tank


"Andy" wrote in message
...
I am buying a used 55 gallon Oceanic aquarium with cabinet stand and
hood for $75.00. It's a deal I can't pass up. The last time I saw
the tank, it was full of fish and my friend took it down and put it in
his garage.

It's been sitting in the garage for at least 6 years, going through
winters below freezing and summers in the 90s. The tank has been
empty and just sitting there. Is there anything I should be
concerned
about?


You're going to want to make sure the seals on the glass are still good, and
definitely do a leak test before setting it up indoors. Just take it
outside, fill it with water and see if it leaks. While you're at it, make
sure the stand is in good order as well. If the seals are no good, you can
re-seal it yourself but make sure you get silicone that is meant for
aquariums or "safe for food use".


  #3  
Old September 9th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
sonoma
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Getting a 55 Gallon Tank NO ONE REALLY GIVES A ****

On Aug 25, 2:22*pm, "Nitesbane" wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

...

I am buying a used 55 gallon Oceanic aquarium with cabinet stand and
hood for $75.00. *It's a deal I can't pass up. *The last time I saw
the tank, it was full of fish and my friend took it down and put it in
his garage.


It's been sitting in the garage for at least 6 years, going through
winters below freezing and summers in the 90s. *The tank has been
empty and just sitting there. *Is there anything I should be
concerned
about?


You're going to want to make sure the seals on the glass are still good, and
definitely do a leak test before setting it up indoors. *Just take it
outside, fill it with water and see if it leaks. *While you're at it, make
sure the stand is in good order as well. *If the seals are no good, you can
re-seal it yourself but make sure you get silicone that is meant for
aquariums or "safe for food use".


There really is no one here that gives a **** about you getting a 55
gal; tank. NOw, are you getting any from your wife or girl friend,
that would draw more interest. For the most paret these fish groups
have gone to hell in a hand basket courtesy of TYNK aka Kelly and Gill
and the others who insisted on haiving their own moderated forums and
groups with closed membership to keep a certain person out.
  #5  
Old October 13th 10, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Andy[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default Getting a 55 Gallon Tank

On Oct 11, 12:42*am, Andy Pastuszak wrote:

Well, I am finally getting the tank tomorrow night. *Won't be able to
test how well it holds water until probably the weekend, since it's going
to rain the rest of the week here.

Andy


Got the tank today. It's a old 55 gallon Oceanic tank. I can't
believe how THICK the glass and silicone sealant is. Hopefully I'll
get it set up over the weekend. Need to decide what kind of filter I
want.
  #6  
Old October 30th 10, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
John Smith[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 107
Default Getting a 55 Gallon Tank NO ONE REALLY GIVES A ****

On 9/8/2010 7:04 PM, sonoma wrote:
... moderated forums and
groups with closed membership to keep a certain person out.


I certainly hope that "person" is you ... and that they are very
effective and successful at it!

Regards,
JS
  #7  
Old October 30th 10, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
John Smith[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 107
Default Getting a 55 Gallon Tank

On 10/13/2010 11:47 AM, Andy wrote:
On Oct 11, 12:42 am, Andy wrote:

Well, I am finally getting the tank tomorrow night. Won't be able to
test how well it holds water until probably the weekend, since it's going
to rain the rest of the week here.

Andy


Got the tank today. It's a old 55 gallon Oceanic tank. I can't
believe how THICK the glass and silicone sealant is. Hopefully I'll
get it set up over the weekend. Need to decide what kind of filter I
want.


Well? How is the tank working out?

I am thinking there might have been a good chance it would still be
without leaks ... silicone is some very tough stuff ... I have tanks
20-30 years old which still have not been resealed.

Regards,
JS

  #8  
Old March 11th 11, 09:16 PM
lenitaray lenitaray is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by FishkeepingBanter: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Default

You will want to ensure a sealed glass are still good, and certainly done a leak test before setting it in the house. Take the outside, fill the water to see if there are leaks. And you, be sure to stand in good order and good.
  #9  
Old June 25th 11, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Andy Pastuszak[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Getting a 55 Gallon Tank

On 2010-10-30 16:07:26 -0400, John Smith said:

On 10/13/2010 11:47 AM, Andy wrote:
On Oct 11, 12:42 am, Andy wrote:

Well, I am finally getting the tank tomorrow night. Won't be able to
test how well it holds water until probably the weekend, since it's going
to rain the rest of the week here.

Andy


Got the tank today. It's a old 55 gallon Oceanic tank. I can't
believe how THICK the glass and silicone sealant is. Hopefully I'll
get it set up over the weekend. Need to decide what kind of filter I
want.


Well? How is the tank working out?

I am thinking there might have been a good chance it would still be
without leaks ... silicone is some very tough stuff ... I have tanks
20-30 years old which still have not been resealed.

Regards,
JS


The tank is sitting in my family room right now full of gravel waiting
for water. Been very lazy about getting the whole thing together. I'm
hoing to add water to it this weekend. I have a flat screen TV mounted
above it. Soon as it's up, I'll post a picture.

Andy

  #10  
Old June 28th 11, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Nitesbane
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default Getting a 55 Gallon Tank


"Andy Pastuszak" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
On 2010-10-30 16:07:26 -0400, John Smith said:

On 10/13/2010 11:47 AM, Andy wrote:
On Oct 11, 12:42 am, Andy wrote:

Well, I am finally getting the tank tomorrow night. Won't be able to
test how well it holds water until probably the weekend, since it's
going
to rain the rest of the week here.

Andy

Got the tank today. It's a old 55 gallon Oceanic tank. I can't
believe how THICK the glass and silicone sealant is. Hopefully I'll
get it set up over the weekend. Need to decide what kind of filter I
want.


Well? How is the tank working out?

I am thinking there might have been a good chance it would still be
without leaks ... silicone is some very tough stuff ... I have tanks
20-30 years old which still have not been resealed.

Regards,
JS


The tank is sitting in my family room right now full of gravel waiting for
water. Been very lazy about getting the whole thing together. I'm hoing
to add water to it this weekend. I have a flat screen TV mounted above
it. Soon as it's up, I'll post a picture.


Not sure what you'll be keeping in the tank, but keep in mind that some
flowering plants and aquatic creatures are photosensitive and will react to
a TV screen the same way they'd react to sunlight even if the rest of the
room is dark.

I found this out when my MTS stopped coming out at night, and a flowering
vine I had growing out of one of my tanks stopped flowering when I moved a
computer into the room with my tanks.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1 gallon tank Mellie101 General 22 February 18th 06 02:09 PM
Want to buy - 125 gallon tank Ruth Marketplace 0 August 9th 04 01:43 PM
What to add in my 29 gallon tank. nuchumYussel General 6 February 17th 04 04:00 AM
FS: 80 gallon tank Art Williamson Marketplace 0 December 12th 03 05:13 PM
FS: 240 Gallon tank Matt Goldfish 1 August 23rd 03 03:38 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 FishKeepingBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.