Can't get a 351W started. please help!!!

Old January 21st 04, 02:43 PM
Ben Witek

Default Can't get a 351W started. please help!!!

Several nights of work and I'm getting stumped here guys. I'm gonna
tray and describe my story a little better to see if any ideas come to
mind,
I found a Bronco sitting in a driveway and it was for sale. The guy
told me that about a month ago he ran it out of gas and he didnt do
anything to it, (got a 18 year old pregnate and so has no money and
needs to get rid of truck) He said it ran awesome. I bought it based
on that which was really dumb. But anyway, I bought the fuel pump and
asked him to install it. I pull up with my trialer to hual it home and
he was in the process of bleeding the fuel line. I wanted to get it
home so I said I would do it. (another bad move) but anyway, I got her
home and disconnected the fuel line and the "half way" point (a small
peice of rubber house had been spliced in) I was getting no fuel.
(tank is 1/4 btw too) I hooked up a electric fuel pump i had and was
now sucking gas out of the tank from that "half way" point. I then
removed the pump and was getting lots of gas through the line VIA
gravity. I then connected the half way point and went up to the front
where I disconnected the hose from the inlet side of the fuel pump.
THe hose was crimping really easlisy against the vertice peice that
comes from the tank. Got a longer hose and was now getting gas up
front with me electric pump. Took the pump off, connected the line to
the pump took air system off, sprayed a little walmart engine started
and bam, started up good and ideled perfect. I was in the garage and
fumes were killing me so I killed it and opened the garage up. Tried
again...... Dead battery now (it was really low to began with so it
made sense) I charged the battery the next day and went to start it
and it would give a little pop when i had my foot on the floors and
then let go. At one time i was pumping quickly and holding the engine
barley alive. Dead battery again....... Next time I was getting
nothing. Not even a pop. I am getting fuel all the way at the top of
the carb. I take the line off the carb and tunr the engine over and
had a buddy with me telling me it was flowing good up top. Fuel
filter??? Not inline that I can see..... Is it one of those deals
where the filter is in the carb where the hose goes? Electrical shut
off of some kind? Anyways the start the process of finding out
what???? Havnt owened a carb. car before. It has the 'adjusting" ford
2 rectangular holes on top of the carb. Is it posssible that i am not
getting enough pressure? Maybe fuel is not getting in the carb when i
hook the hose up? PLease ask questions if you have any. I am really
reaching out here, thanks a ton for anyone who at least read this!
-Awaiting some advice
Ben
Old January 21st 04, 09:24 PM
Figjam\(cable\)

Ben sounds to me like you may have flooded it and also carby setups dont
require the pressures that injected does.You might wanna try charging the
battery again and also use some jumper leads at the same time to spin the
engine over quickly incase it is flooded from when you flattened the battery
last.
Also when you do get round to cranking it make sure you dont keep pumping
the gas pedal as u will flood
an 8 realy quick if you are not aquainted with em.Just hold the pedal flat
for a few minutes before you
crank it to get some air in first, then crank it and resist from pumping the
throttle while keeping it flat.

Hope this helps mate

Fig

m...

Old January 21st 04, 09:24 PM
Figjam\(cable\)

Ben sounds to me like you may have flooded it and also carby setups dont
require the pressures that injected does.You might wanna try charging the
battery again and also use some jumper leads at the same time to spin the
engine over quickly incase it is flooded from when you flattened the battery
last.
Also when you do get round to cranking it make sure you dont keep pumping
the gas pedal as u will flood
an 8 realy quick if you are not aquainted with em.Just hold the pedal flat
for a few minutes before you
crank it to get some air in first, then crank it and resist from pumping the
throttle while keeping it flat.

Hope this helps mate

Fig

m...

Old January 28th 04, 07:50 AM
Craig

Ben,

It should be easy mate! Look at it like this: an engine needs three things
to run: Fuel, air and ignition!

If you have all three you should get *something* out of your donk.
Check that the fuel is being pumped into the carby when you work the
throttle. That should be enough to get something.
Take a lead off a plug and put a screwdriver in the hole of the lead. Hold
it about a quarter inch from the blonk and have your
trusty assistant crank the engine. You should see a nice blue spark. If
it's red, something is very dodgy in your ignition system
Air is not as simple - you may even need to remove a tappet cover to make
sure the valves are working ok. Not likely to be a problem, but do check
it.

You will likely find that it's something simple stopping your engine from
firing. A dead engine usually has one simple failure. Rectify and see what
happens next!

Craig
Toyota Landcruiser turbo diesel

Old January 29th 04, 01:02 AM
Figjam\(cable\)

Hi Craig, where are you posting from mate ?

Fig

Old January 29th 04, 01:02 AM
Figjam\(cable\)

Old February 1st 04, 05:27 AM
Craig

Toowoomba, Queenland, Australia

Old February 1st 04, 05:27 AM
Craig

Old February 2nd 04, 12:31 PM

I just had this same problem on my 351m. I couldn't get it to run
so we yanked the distributer out and found that the rollpin broke on the
gear at the bottom of the distributer. We popped in a new pin and she
fired right up.

Have a Good Day,,,,,, Randy, Janine,