We're not the worst?

Old May 23rd 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker[_2_]

Default We're not the worst?

>> 18. When you approach a traffic signal displaying a steady yellow
>> light, you must:
>>
>> A. Go through the intersection before it turns red
>> B. Stop if it is safe to do so
>> C. Be prepared to stop
>> D. Slow down

I'm with Chris. It doesn't say the light is briefly showing yellow before
turning red, it says "steady yellow". Malfunctioning. Correct answer is to
call the city and report it.

Now, what would you do for a flashing green? That's what I ran into my first
trip to Winnipeg. I pulled over and stopped.

miker

Old May 24th 09, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Tests like that don't tell near as much as they pretend to. A
> couple of those questions are just stupid in my opinion and the
> one that I got wrong, I would argue is simply a bad question.
> Check out #18 ;
>
> 18. When you approach a traffic signal displaying a steady
> yellow light, you must:
>
> A. Go through the intersection before it turns red
> B. Stop if it is safe to do so
> C. Be prepared to stop
> D. Slow down
>
> First off, this should never happen unless something is
> malfunctioning. To me that makes it a ridiculous question. You
> can see my answer here. They say Stop if it is safe to do so.
> To me that's ignorant, other drivers see yellow, they are
> thinking caution, be prepared to stop, they might even be
> staring at the stupid stuck yellow light and guess who's arse
> they are going to crash into sitting stopped in the road!
> Idiotic really.
>
> I remember watching some safety movie bs once where they
> declared that "a safe driver goes 5 years w/o ever squealing a
> tire". The movie was made in the 50's and DPS was still quoting
> it on their defensive driving test! I just laughed! In Houston,
> if you drive a serious commute (and you don't have abs) you
> might 'squeal a tire once a month! That's if you're super
> careful and defensive. If you're inpatient and pushy, you'll
> probably have to pull off a panic stop once a week!

I have a friend whose car was rear-ended by a state cop when he
stopped at a yellow light. The cop's comment was something
like - "I didn't think you'd stop - it was only yellow."
-----
Ive & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old May 24th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Iva" > wrote:

> I have a friend whose car was rear-ended by a state cop when he
> stopped at a yellow light. The cop's comment was something
> like - "I didn't think you'd stop - it was only yellow."

A friend had his motorcycle wrecked when he stopped at a stop sign, the
lady who hit him told the police, "I had no idea he was going to stop,
nobody stops there!"

It's hard to believe people that stupid are driving....

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old May 24th 09, 06:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> A friend had his motorcycle wrecked when he stopped at a stop sign, the
> lady who hit him told the police, "I had no idea he was going to stop,
> nobody stops there!"
>
> It's hard to believe people that stupid are driving....

I can't decide which was stupider: hitting your friend, or giving that
excuse to the cops. Did she earn a sobriety test?

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 24th 09, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article >,
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> A friend had his motorcycle wrecked when he stopped at a stop
>> sign, the lady who hit him told the police, "I had no idea he was
>> going to stop, nobody stops there!"
>>
>> It's hard to believe people that stupid are driving....

> I can't decide which was stupider: hitting your friend, or giving
> that excuse to the cops. Did she earn a sobriety test?

No, it was in the morning, she was sober, just not paying any
attention. Fortunately, he wasn't hurt, unfortunately, the bike was a
total.

Old May 25th 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Thu, 21 May 2009 21:51:11 -0700, XS11E wrote:

> Take the test yourself he http://nationaldriverstest.com/
>
> State Rankings for best/worst drivers: Note: Many states tied for the
> same position in the rankings.

Got 100 but I admit that I guessed on a couple. I wasn't sure about the
fog question, whether you should use low beams or fog lights. And I also
thought the steady yellow light question was misleading.

Having said all that, I notice that large numbers of people somehow
manage to fail this test. How is that even possible?
Old May 25th 09, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Carbon > wrote:

> On Thu, 21 May 2009 21:51:11 -0700, XS11E wrote:
>
>> Take the test yourself he http://nationaldriverstest.com/
>>
>> State Rankings for best/worst drivers: Note: Many states tied for
>> the same position in the rankings.

> Got 100 but I admit that I guessed on a couple. I wasn't sure
> about the fog question, whether you should use low beams or fog
> lights. And I also thought the steady yellow light question was
> misleading.
>
> Having said all that, I notice that large numbers of people
> somehow manage to fail this test. How is that even possible?

How could anything else be possible? Haven't you noticed the huge
number of people on the road who don't know the traffic laws and
demonstrate their lack of knowledge every minute they drive?

Old May 25th 09, 12:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

XS11E wrote:
> Lanny Chambers > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> XS11E > wrote:
>>
>>> A friend had his motorcycle wrecked when he stopped at a stop
>>> sign, the lady who hit him told the police, "I had no idea he was
>>> going to stop, nobody stops there!"
>>>
>>> It's hard to believe people that stupid are driving....

>> I can't decide which was stupider: hitting your friend, or giving
>> that excuse to the cops. Did she earn a sobriety test?

> No, it was in the morning, she was sober, just not paying any
> attention. Fortunately, he wasn't hurt, unfortunately, the bike was a
> total.

any time i am coming to a stop, and especially on my 93 bmw k 1100 lt,

i slow well before the need to stop and i look in my mirrors to ensure the

potential wingnut behind me is being attentive.

when stopped on the bike, i keep it in 1st and keep my eyes on the
mirrors.
Old May 25th 09, 01:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

XS11E wrote:
> Carbon > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 May 2009 21:51:11 -0700, XS11E wrote:
>>
>>> Take the test yourself he http://nationaldriverstest.com/
>>>
>>> State Rankings for best/worst drivers: Note: Many states tied for
>>> the same position in the rankings.

>> Got 100 but I admit that I guessed on a couple. I wasn't sure
>> about the fog question, whether you should use low beams or fog
>> lights. And I also thought the steady yellow light question was
>> misleading.
>>
>> Having said all that, I notice that large numbers of people
>> somehow manage to fail this test. How is that even possible?

> How could anything else be possible? Haven't you noticed the huge
> number of people on the road who don't know the traffic laws and
> demonstrate their lack of knowledge every minute they drive?

yes, it would be nice if we in the US had similar attitudes towards
driving as many in Europe.(granted some boot shaped countries are less
than courteous drivers .

Germany is probably the best example, with the well engineered autobahn,
cars and laws and "common sense".

indeed, decades ago bmw lost market share in the US because they didnt
have cup holders and the Germans could not understand why anyone would
do anything other than drive in a car....

the one law i wish were enforced is the "drive right" law where slower
vehicles should stay to the right

we can wish

peter
Old May 25th 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Mon, 25 May 2009 08:02:17 -0400, peter wrote:

> the one law i wish were enforced is the "drive right" law where slower
> vehicles should stay to the right

Nothing is more aggravating than two or more cars driving side by side
at exactly the same speed, oblivious to the train of aggravated drivers
behind. This is a very common occurrence on the Interstates, to some
extent caused by cruise control coupled with extreme laziness. "Well, I
could move out of the way, but then I'd have to pay attention for a
couple of minutes..."

Worst of the Worst: 101 and Vermont gpsman Driving 0 February 26th 09 12:00 AM
BMW 318 - worst car ever ? billy BMW 17 December 21st 06 09:34 PM
MAY THE WORST MAN WIN ! fred Technology 8 October 19th 06 12:06 AM
Help me prepare for the worst Percival P. Cassidy Chrysler 3 June 17th 06 03:53 AM