euro taillight/rear fog question

Old January 12th 05, 06:47 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Default euro taillight/rear fog question

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Bernard Farquart wrote:

> Nate, I have seen lots of Hella & Bosch smallish add on fog lights, but
> the slickest rear fog I have seen to date, (albeit for a 911) is he
> http://www.type-911.co.uk/images/general/911rrfogs.jpg It looks like you
> could do the same thing with one of those reflector kits that everyone
> sells for 924-944 bodies.

Not to me, it doesn't. No optics in the lens, no reflector behind
the lens for the rear fog function.

If you have the space on the back of the car, you could install the
flush-mount C5 Corvette factory export rear fog lamp, which comes as a
kit, which should include everything you need -- maybe less a socket or
bulb, easily obtained in the aftermarket. GM P/Ns:

Left: 1253 3323
Right: 1253 3324

Recommend "only left" but if you want symmetrical appearance you can spend
the extra $100 for the right one, too, and just not hook it up (a rear fog
is better as a single unit, on the driver's side of the vehicle -- dual
rear fogs look too much like brake lights. Alternatively, if you add a
couple diodes to the system, dual lamp units can serve as extra brake
lights 'til you throw the rear fog switch, taking both new lamps out of
the brake lamp circuit and lighting the left one full-time).

Pictures of this lamp unit:

http://www.cat-co-ltd.co.jp/hashimoto/rearvw2.JPG
http://www.cat-co-ltd.co.jp/hashimoto/rfogps.JPG

DS
Old January 13th 05, 02:46 AM
Ulf

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Bernard Farquart wrote:
>
>> Nate, I have seen lots of Hella & Bosch smallish add on fog lights,
>> but the slickest rear fog I have seen to date, (albeit for a 911) is
>> he http://www.type-911.co.uk/images/general/911rrfogs.jpg It looks
>> like you could do the same thing with one of those reflector kits that
>> everyone sells for 924-944 bodies.

> Not to me, it doesn't. No optics in the lens, no reflector behind the
> lens for the rear fog function.
>
> If you have the space on the back of the car, you could install the
> flush-mount C5 Corvette factory export rear fog lamp, which comes as a
> kit, which should include everything you need -- maybe less a socket or
> bulb, easily obtained in the aftermarket. GM P/Ns:
>
> Left: 1253 3323
> Right: 1253 3324
>
> Recommend "only left" but if you want symmetrical appearance you can spend
> the extra $100 for the right one, too, and just not hook it up (a rear fog
> is better as a single unit, on the driver's side of the vehicle -- dual
> rear fogs look too much like brake lights. Alternatively, if you add a
> couple diodes to the system, dual lamp units can serve as extra brake
> lights 'til you throw the rear fog switch, taking both new lamps out of
> the brake lamp circuit and lighting the left one full-time).
>
> Pictures of this lamp unit:
>
> http://www.cat-co-ltd.co.jp/hashimoto/rearvw2.JPG
> http://www.cat-co-ltd.co.jp/hashimoto/rfogps.JPG

The rear of a Euro spec 'Vette looks absolutely terrible. Why GM didn't
just color one of the reverse lights red and call that a fog light is
beyond me. Yes, I know some European countries use wider tags, but
still... This is even more idiotic than the front tow hook sticking out
6 inches in front of the car.

> DS

Ulf
Old January 13th 05, 02:46 AM
Ulf

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Bernard Farquart wrote:
>
>> Nate, I have seen lots of Hella & Bosch smallish add on fog lights,
>> but the slickest rear fog I have seen to date, (albeit for a 911) is
>> he http://www.type-911.co.uk/images/general/911rrfogs.jpg It looks
>> like you could do the same thing with one of those reflector kits that
>> everyone sells for 924-944 bodies.

> Not to me, it doesn't. No optics in the lens, no reflector behind the
> lens for the rear fog function.
>
> If you have the space on the back of the car, you could install the
> flush-mount C5 Corvette factory export rear fog lamp, which comes as a
> kit, which should include everything you need -- maybe less a socket or
> bulb, easily obtained in the aftermarket. GM P/Ns:
>
> Left: 1253 3323
> Right: 1253 3324
>
> Recommend "only left" but if you want symmetrical appearance you can spend
> the extra $100 for the right one, too, and just not hook it up (a rear fog
> is better as a single unit, on the driver's side of the vehicle -- dual
> rear fogs look too much like brake lights. Alternatively, if you add a
> couple diodes to the system, dual lamp units can serve as extra brake
> lights 'til you throw the rear fog switch, taking both new lamps out of
> the brake lamp circuit and lighting the left one full-time).
>
> Pictures of this lamp unit:
>
> http://www.cat-co-ltd.co.jp/hashimoto/rearvw2.JPG
> http://www.cat-co-ltd.co.jp/hashimoto/rfogps.JPG

The rear of a Euro spec 'Vette looks absolutely terrible. Why GM didn't
just color one of the reverse lights red and call that a fog light is
beyond me. Yes, I know some European countries use wider tags, but
still... This is even more idiotic than the front tow hook sticking out
6 inches in front of the car.

> DS

Ulf
Old January 14th 05, 12:29 AM
Mot Adv-NSW

"Ulf" > wrote in message
> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Bernard Farquart wrote:
>>
>>> Nate, I have seen lots of Hella & Bosch smallish add on fog lights, but
>>> the slickest rear fog I have seen to date, (albeit for a 911) is he
>>> http://www.type-911.co.uk/images/general/911rrfogs.jpg It looks like you
>>> could do the same thing with one of those reflector kits that everyone
>>> sells for 924-944 bodies.

>> Not to me, it doesn't. No optics in the lens, no reflector behind the
>> lens for the rear fog function.
>>
>> If you have the space on the back of the car, you could install the
>> flush-mount C5 Corvette factory export rear fog lamp, which comes as a
>> kit, which should include everything you need -- maybe less a socket or
>> bulb, easily obtained in the aftermarket. GM P/Ns:
>>
>> Left: 1253 3323
>> Right: 1253 3324

I'd wonder why GM just don't fit them to the North American market? . ..
One day perhaps.

Old January 14th 05, 12:29 AM
Mot Adv-NSW