156 suspension rattle

Old September 2nd 06, 06:27 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
quinny

Default 156 suspension rattle

Hi I have a rattle on the front left suspension, similar sound to metal
tapping against top of strut when going over bumps.
I have checked the damper, springs and arch trims but cannot find where
noise is coming from. Has anyone had similar problem?
thanks
Steve

--
quinny
quinny's Profile: http://www.usenetcars.com/member.php?userid=6906

Old September 3rd 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
mike[_8_]

Hi There

Have you checked the Anti-roll bar tie bars, they give a similar
sound as you describe when worn.

Regards

Cozymg
156 SP2 1999

Old September 3rd 06, 09:42 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tony Rickard

> 156 SP2 1999
> "quinny" > wrote in message
>> Hi I have a rattle on the front left suspension, similar sound to metal
>> tapping against top of strut when going over bumps.
>> I have checked the damper, springs and arch trims but cannot find where
>> noise is coming from. Has anyone had similar problem?
>> thanks

This may be too obvious - so I apologise in advance! I had a strange
tapping noise following a service and found the undertray hadn't been
tightened up properly. I even fixed it myself

Cheers
Tony
Old September 4th 06, 02:39 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
alfistagj

"quinny" > schreef in bericht

> Hi I have a rattle on the front left suspension, similar sound to metal
> tapping against top of strut when going over bumps.
> I have checked the damper, springs and arch trims but cannot find where
> noise is coming from. Has anyone had similar problem?
> thanks
> Steve
>

> --
> quinny
> quinny's Profile: http://www.usenetcars.com/member.php?userid=6906
> View this thread: http://www.usenetcars.com/showthread.php?t=706122

Sounds like worn (rubber) bushings.
Quite normal for 156's and simple to exchange.
Use the optional harder ones that are available.
Stiffer suspension and they last longer.
--
Ciao from The Netherlands
alfistagj (aka Gert-Jan)