Have Mexican Beetle, anyone else?

Old October 13th 04, 08:25 PM
Javier

Default Have Mexican Beetle, anyone else?

The yahoo group for MexiBeetles is
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mexibeetle/

Javier

Old October 14th 04, 01:06 AM
Marco

Hi Javier,

thanks for the info. I've just logged on and some info seems to be
there. Will check it out in more detail later on.

I was wondering where you got your car from? I bought mine from a
"dealer" with an office in Arizona, but I think it might just be a
mail box address and he is in Mexico.

I am the "first" owner after that car has been "restored", but there
are several problems that I have encounter.

The two biggest ones a
1. The gear shift doesn't work. I can't put the car into gear. Since
the guy sits in Mexico, I will have to bring it to a mechanic in New
England and have it checked out.
2. HE "lost" the first set of keys, including the red immobiliser. He
told me that there is another owner out there that has the same
problem (=the dealer lost his keys,too). I had received the incorrect
set in the beginning and mailed it back.

+ parts ordered, paid and not delivered

This guy is a major pain to deal with. I have written him about 40
emails and called him 20 times. He keeps on promissing to get things
fixed but nothing has happened in the last 11 months.

Maybe I should do another posting asking if anyone knows this company
and has bought his or her car from him

Thanks for the info

Marco

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:25:55 GMT, "Javier" > wrote:

>The yahoo group for MexiBeetles is
>http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mexibeetle/
>
>Javier

.. .

Old October 14th 04, 01:19 PM
Javier

You wouldn't by any chance be talking about BtlMex out of Arizona would you.
I have heard he is very slow responding. Unfortunately he seems to be the
only source I have found for parts on the MexiBeetles so far. Thought
sourcing them myself since I have connections in Mexico.

"Marco" =t> wrote in message
> Hi Javier,
>
> thanks for the info. I've just logged on and some info seems to be
> there. Will check it out in more detail later on.
>
> I was wondering where you got your car from? I bought mine from a
> "dealer" with an office in Arizona, but I think it might just be a
> mail box address and he is in Mexico.
>
> I am the "first" owner after that car has been "restored", but there
> are several problems that I have encounter.
>
> The two biggest ones a
> 1. The gear shift doesn't work. I can't put the car into gear. Since
> the guy sits in Mexico, I will have to bring it to a mechanic in New
> England and have it checked out.
> 2. HE "lost" the first set of keys, including the red immobiliser. He
> told me that there is another owner out there that has the same
> problem (=the dealer lost his keys,too). I had received the incorrect
> set in the beginning and mailed it back.
>
> + parts ordered, paid and not delivered
>
> This guy is a major pain to deal with. I have written him about 40
> emails and called him 20 times. He keeps on promissing to get things
> fixed but nothing has happened in the last 11 months.
>
> Maybe I should do another posting asking if anyone knows this company
> and has bought his or her car from him
>
> Thanks for the info
>
> Marco
>

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:25:55 GMT, "Javier" > wrote:
>
>>The yahoo group for MexiBeetles is
>>http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mexibeetle/
>>
>>Javier

. ..

Old October 14th 04, 01:27 PM
Javier

The Immobilizer can be replaced with on that BtlMex sells if you can
actually get them to ship it. The shifting problem should be able to be
checked out by any shop that works on Bugs, contact your local VW club or
ask on one of the forums to reccomend one. The thing I find about ordering
from BtlMex is don't be in a hurry for the part. May need to give this guy
some competition.

JD

"Marco" =t> wrote in message
> Hi Javier,
>
> thanks for the info. I've just logged on and some info seems to be
> there. Will check it out in more detail later on.
>
> I was wondering where you got your car from? I bought mine from a
> "dealer" with an office in Arizona, but I think it might just be a
> mail box address and he is in Mexico.
>
> I am the "first" owner after that car has been "restored", but there
> are several problems that I have encounter.
>
> The two biggest ones a
> 1. The gear shift doesn't work. I can't put the car into gear. Since
> the guy sits in Mexico, I will have to bring it to a mechanic in New
> England and have it checked out.
> 2. HE "lost" the first set of keys, including the red immobiliser. He
> told me that there is another owner out there that has the same
> problem (=the dealer lost his keys,too). I had received the incorrect
> set in the beginning and mailed it back.
>
> + parts ordered, paid and not delivered
>
> This guy is a major pain to deal with. I have written him about 40
> emails and called him 20 times. He keeps on promissing to get things
> fixed but nothing has happened in the last 11 months.
>
> Maybe I should do another posting asking if anyone knows this company
> and has bought his or her car from him
>
> Thanks for the info
>
> Marco
>

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:25:55 GMT, "Javier" > wrote:
>
>>The yahoo group for MexiBeetles is
>>http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mexibeetle/
>>
>>Javier

. ..

Old December 6th 04, 09:53 PM
Mike Smith

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:19:55 GMT, "Javier" > wrote:

>You wouldn't by any chance be talking about BtlMex out of Arizona would you.
>I have heard he is very slow responding. Unfortunately he seems to be the
>only source I have found for parts on the MexiBeetles so far. Thought
>sourcing them myself since I have connections in Mexico.

I think I scraped one of thos off of my windshield.
Old January 14th 05, 10:08 PM

I would suggest NOT following the above referenced advice regarding
"don't tell the company its a Mexi-Beetle".

Since these Mexi-Beetles were being titled from old vins, ( and I
believe used part of the original chassis?) they ARE altered from
original. If you do not disclose the modifications, then you are
misrpresenting the vehicle to the insurance company, and that could be
enough to deny a claim for misrepresentation. Most companies would not
insure these knowingly as they are "new built" vehicles that apparently
do not meet current U.S. standards.

The applications genrally ask not whether YOU modified the vehicle, but
if it has been modified from original.
As far as I know, all the collector car companies still require photos
of the vehicle. It should jump out that the turn signals are on the
bumper, and not the fender, but that does not mean if a company doesn't
catch the change that you are all set.

It's pretty worthless to pay for a policy, and then in the event of an
accident be denied coverage!

Old January 14th 05, 10:39 PM
Ben Boyle

Here's the thing though, these cars have gone through US customs as the year they are titled as. They are basically old
pans with new bodies. But here's the thing, these bodies vary in such minor detail from the originals the basic design
of the car is unaltered. The fact that the car is legally titled as what it is makes it a 1972 (or whatever) Beetle to
my mind and I cannot see what difference it makes.

You are also giving these insurance (including collector) companies way too much credit. You can buy fenders with no
turn signals and bumpers with turn signals all day long from numerous VW suppliers. They insure what probably amounts of
thousands of different styles of cars and I sincerely doubt they have some kind of checklist going on telling them now
to tell basic differences between Beetles.

Old January 15th 05, 01:13 AM
Dennis Wik

What you have is a 72 that has totaly new and updated parts except for
the original pan/frame and should be viewed as that by the owner, State
and Insurance company since that is the way the US customs and DOT
viewed it and allowed them in to the country. Dennis

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old January 15th 05, 04:59 AM
Ben Boyle

Exactly, it's a '72 Beetle for all legal purposes. There's no point in making it more complicated than you have to.