Can anyone comment on 2005 Accord EX V6 Navigation system?

Old June 10th 05, 04:30 PM
BAS

Default Can anyone comment on 2005 Accord EX V6 Navigation system?

I am looking to purchase a new Honda Accord V6 EX with or without the
Navigation system. Can anyone comment on 2005 Accord EX V6 Navigation
system? How do you enter the destination? Is it worth the extra money?

Old June 10th 05, 07:33 PM

I own a 2004 TSX Navi same as Euro Accord and US model so I maybe able
to help as they both use the same Navi system.

Just like everything else, there is a lot to like about the Navi and
some things that are not so perfect.

Entering destinations is fairly straightforward but can be cumbersome
depending on the method.

For example, if you are entering a destination from the Navi database
such as a restaurant, bank, ATM, etc., you can perform this by voice
commands alone.

On the other hand, entering someone's address requires manual keyboard
strokes. So it's not completely hands free.

There are some times when the system will baffle you by not responding
incorrectly to your commands but these are ususally due to limitations
in the technology which means you are in the wrong menu screen .

For instance, the Navi supplies a few extra features such as a trip
computer that provides engine run time, miles since last refuel and
average fuel mileage. BTW, so far the fuel mileage readout has never
been accurate as it's alway overly optimestic by about 2-3 mpg compared
with a calculator.

Anyway, if you are viewing this screen and try to use a voice command,
it will respond incorrectly. You need to back out of this menu and
return to the main page or map page for it to work.

To be fair, these are nitpicks as the system works very reliably and
saved my butt numerous times, especially when getting lost on
Claifornia freeways or trying to find a location you've never been to
before.

But you need to weigh all aspects before you put down your money.
Another small shortcoming involves deviating from a plotted route.
Let's say you're going on vacation or a long trip and want to stop at a
restaurant along the way.

Currently, you can't choose the menu mode to find a restaurant without
cancelling the current route first. So you need to cancel your current
route, go back to menu, find a restaurant, plot it and after you get
there, retrieve your previous route or replot it again.

I understand the new Odyssey and Acura RL allow you to add additional
routes to existing ones?

All this brings up a fundamental problem with the technology, it's
still evolving. You could argue, maybe I'll wait for it to get better
or cheaper? Trouble is, it always will be changing and improving so at
some point if you decide you must have it, just say what the hell and
go for it.

True, it's more fun to "talk to your car" and tell it change the
temperature, radio station or ask it how long it take to get somewhere.
But the price is steep, about $2K.

Something else to consider, if you plan to keep the car a while, you
will want to update the DVD software at some point. It contains the
maps, restaurants, ATM, gas stations, etc. The updates occur about
every year or two and currently sell for $185 + shipping
https://iweb.alpine-usa.com/Hondadvdsales/naviorder.php

This leads to your last question, is it worth it? Tough to say, as
it's a subjective question and only you can decide if it is. Many
might argue you can buy a lot of maps or even a portable GPS unit with
plenty of change left over for $2K.

In my opinion, you can't wait for the "perfect time to buy a car that
will be perfect." Never gonna happen, it's always emotion based. Try
to find a dealer or someone that will let you play with one for a
couple of hours and decide if you can't live without it. That's what I
did.

Sorry for the rant and hope I didn't paint too bleak a picture but it's
always good to know the downside of stuff as most advertising is the
opposite.

Good Luck

Old June 10th 05, 08:17 PM

I own a 2004 TSX Navi same as Euro Accord and US model so I maybe able
to help as they both use the same Navi system.

Just like everything else, there is a lot to like about the Navi and
some things that are not so perfect. Since I tend to be a
perfectionist and very critical this may be skewed more to the
negative.

First and foremost, each and every time you start the car the first
thing that appears is what I like to refer to as the "Don't Sue Us
Because Your Too Stupid Screen" This consists of a disclaimer with
some weasal words indicating, I'm paraphrasing here - if your too dumb
to program and operate this system only at idle and decide to drive and
have an accident... don't blame us.

The problem is this screen lasts and lasts and lasts. So you must wait
for about 45 seconds (it can't be defeated) for it disappear before you
can use most accessories. You can use the audio and HVAC systems but
with limited functionality.

Entering destinations into the Navi is fairly straightforward but can
be cumbersome depending on the method.

For example, if you are entering a destination from the database such
as a restaurant, bank, ATM, etc., you can perform this by voice
commands alone. BTW, voice commands are cool, you can control just
about everything exccept your passengers and idiots in other cars

On the other hand, entering a non database address (friend, non-listed
restaurant, etc.) is not completely hands free and requires manual
keyboard entry. Hence, the disclaimer screen.

There are few times when the system will baffle you by responding
incorrectly to your commands but these are ususally due to limitations
in the technology which means you are in the wrong menu screen or
ambient noise is too loud preventing the system from hearing you.

Another issue, the Navi supplies a few extra features such as a
calendar, calculator and a trip computer providing engine run time,
miles since last refueling and average fuel mileage. BTW, so far the
fuel mileage readout has never been accurate as it's alway overly
optimestic by about 2-3 mpg compared with a calculator.

Anyway, this screen is in a menu called "trip computer" nested under
another screen called "information". If you view this screen and try
to use a voice command, it will respond incorrectly. Inidicating you
need to back out of this menu and return to the "main menu page" or
"map screen" for it to function properly.

To be fair, these are mostly nitpicks as the system works very reliably
and saved my butt numerous times, especially when getting lost on
Claifornia freeways or trying to find a location you've never been to
before. Which is why you want it?

Another small shortcoming involves deviating from a current route.
Let's say you're going on vacation or a long trip and want to stop at a
restaurant along the way.

Currently, you can't choose the menu mode to find a restaurant without
cancelling the current route first. So you need to cancel, go back to
menu, find a restaurant, plot it and after you get there, retrieve your
previous route or replot it and continue. Sort of a pain unless you
know in advance you will be stopping along the way and enter this as a
seperate destination.

I understand the new Odyssey and Acura RL allow for adding new routes
to existing ones?

All this brings up a fundamental problem with the technology, it's
still evolving. You could argue, maybe I'll wait for it to get better
or cheaper? Trouble is, it always will be changing and improving. If
at some point if you decide you must have it, just say what the hell
and go for it.

True, it's more fun to "talk to your car" and tell it change the
temperature, radio station or ask it how long it will take to get
somewhere. But the price is steep, about $2K.

Something else to consider, if you plan to keep the car a while, you
will want to update the DVD software at some point. It contains the
maps, restaurants, ATM, gas stations, etc. The updates occur about
every year or two and currently sell for $185 + shipping
https://iweb.alpine-usa.com/Hondadvdsales/naviorder.php

This leads to your last question, is it worth it? Tough to say, as
it's a subjective question and only you can decide if it is. Many
might argue you can buy a lot of maps or even a portable GPS unit with
plenty of change left over for $2K.

In my opinion, you can't wait for the "perfect time to buy a car that
will be perfect." Never gonna happen, it's always emotion based. Try
to find a dealer or someone that will let you play with a Navi for a
couple of hours and decide if you can't live without it. That's what I
did.

Sorry for the long post and hope I didn't paint too bleak a picture but
it's always good to know the downside of stuff as most advertising is
the opposite. Just to end on a positive note, you can program the Navi
voice command to prompt you in either a female or male voice. So if
you're tired of being lectured by a woman...you can always switch

Good Luck

Old June 10th 05, 08:59 PM

I own a 2004 TSX Navi (Euro Accord) same as US model so I maybe able to
help as they both use the same Navi system.

Just like everything else, there is a lot to like about the Navi and
some things not so perfect. Since I tend to be somewhat critical, my

First and foremost, each and every time you start the car, what first
appears is what I like to refer to as the "Don't Sue Us Because Your
Too Stupid Screen" This consists of a disclaimer with some weasal
words indicating, I'm paraphrasing here - if your too dumb to program
this system only at idle and cause a collision... don't blame us.

The problem is this screen lasts and lasts and lasts. So you must wait
about 45 seconds (it can't be defeated) for it disappear before you can
use the Navi. However, you can use the audio and HVAC systems but with
limited functionality.

Entering destinations into the Navi is fairly straightforward but can
be cumbersome depending on the method you choose to input the info,
either by voice or manually.

For example, if you are entering a destination from the database such
as a restaurant, bank, ATM, etc., you can perform this by voice
commands alone. BTW, voice commands are cool, you can control just
about everything exccept your passengers and idiots in other cars

On the other hand, entering a non database address (such as a
residence, new restaurant, etc.) is not completely hands free and
requires manual keyboard entry. Hence, the disclaimer screen.

There are few times when the system will baffle you by responding
incorrectly to your commands but these are ususally due to limitations
in the technology which usually mean you are in the wrong menu screen
or ambient noise is too loud preventing the system from hearing you.

Another issue, the Navi supplies a few extra features such as a
calendar, calculator and a trip computer providing engine run time,
miles since last refuel and average fuel mileage. BTW, so far the fuel
mileage readout has never been accurate as it's alway overly optimestic
by about 2-3 mpg compared with a calculator.

Anyway, this screen is in a menu called "trip computer" nested under
another screen called "information." If try to use a voice command
while viewing this screen, it will respond incorrectly. Indicating you
need to back out of this menu screen and return to the "main menu" or
"map display" for it to function properly.

To be fair, these are mostly nitpicks as the system works very reliably
and saved my butt numerous times, especially when getting lost on
Claifornia freeways or trying to find a location you've never been to
before. Which is why you want it? Another tip if you do get it, never
try to outguess it as it's a lot smarter than you. Let's just say
every time I thought it was wrong and believed I knew better... I
didn't. Which is why i pick on it so much?

Another small shortcoming involves deviating from a current route.
Let's say you're going on vacation or a long trip and want to stop at a
restaurant along the way.

Currently, you can't return to the main menu screen to find a
restaurant without cancelling the current route first. So you need to
cancel, go back to main menu, find a restaurant, plot it and after you
get there, retrieve your previous route or replot it and continue.
Sort of a pain unless you know in advance you will be stopping along
the way and enter this as a seperate destination.

I understand the new Odyssey and Acura RL have this capability and
allow for adding new routes to existing ones.

All this brings up a fundamental problem with the technology, it's
still evolving. True, it's fun to "talk to your car" and tell it to
change the temperature, radio station or ask it how long before I get
somewhere. But the price is steep, about $2K.

You could argue, maybe I'll wait for it to get better or cheaper?
Trouble is, it always will be changing and improving so the price isn't
likely to come down due to added features or content. If at some point
you decide you must have it, just go for it.

Something else to consider, if you plan to keep the car a while, you
will want to update the DVD software at some point. The DVD contains
the maps, restaurants, ATM, gas stations, etc. The updates occur about
every year or two and currently sell for $185 + shipping
https://iweb.alpine-usa.com/Hondadvdsales/naviorder.php

This leads to your last question, is it worth it? Tough to say, as
it's a subjective question and only you can decide if it is. Many
might argue you can buy a lot of maps or even a portable GPS unit with
plenty of change left over for $2K.

In my opinion, you can't wait for the "perfect time to buy a car that
will be perfect." Never gonna happen, it's always emotion based. Try
to find a dealer or someone to let you play with a Navi for a couple of
hours and decide if you can't live without it. That's what I did.

Sorry for the long post, hope I didn't paint too bleak a picture but
it's always good to know the downside of technology as most advertising
is the opposite. Just to end on a positive note, you can program the
Navi voice command to respond in either a male or female voice. So if
you're tired of being lectured by a woman...you can always switch

Good Luck with your decision

Old June 10th 05, 09:21 PM

You forgot to mention, the dash looks horrible with it, even worse on a
TL. Things look so screwed up and convoluted that I didn't get it in
my '04 Accord. The salesman (who I've bought 3 cars from and
semi-trust) badmouthed it so much, that he didn't help the prospect any
either. OK, so they probably didn't have many in stock.

$2000? They should happily supply 10 years worth of DVD upgrades along
with that. This data is available from manufacturers of cheap map
software, and is just ported to this application. How many of us are
really going to shell out $185? Yet, you can get the same data on $40
map software for home use.

Old June 10th 05, 10:42 PM
Dick

To each his own I suppose. As far as I am concerned, the nav package
was THE deciding factor when we bought our '93 EX V-6. I would feel
lost without it now. Sure, you can stick a big GPS on the dash (talk
about looking horrible), or carry a laptop with you with Delorme
Street Atlas, if you like watching the seat beside you while you
drive. Personally, I think the nav dash is far better looking than
the regular one. Much easier to do things too, like changing radio
stations, changing the A/C temp, etc. It's like carrying a fancy PDA
around with you built into the car. We bought our first update DVD
this year, but it wasn't really necessary. There were some freeways
that show completed on the new one that were only pieces on the
original, but that's not a big deal either. You learn to compensate.
On a long trip it is comforting to know exactly where you are. And I
mean EXACTLY if you need help. I don't think $185 every couple of
years is going to be a burden to someone who can afford a $26K+
automobile.

Dick

Old June 11th 05, 06:36 AM
harry

GET IT before you feel SORRY.

I tried several aftermarket Navi on my 2004 Sequoia and I never feel so
happy with another EX V6 just purchased 10 days ago. Not only it looks
good, it is moreaccurate than any desktop map software on the market. I
guess because it is DVD based--more space to put better resolution and data.

The first I drove it home, it impressed me already-it finds my address
10825....exactly. Delorme or MS Streets, nothing ever impressed me so much.
Also the trip computer integrated into the screen, it is much easier to see
all info on one screen.
The voice activation is useless to me.

Is it worth the money? Depends. If you are soccer/basketball parents that
you have to find different fields every weekend, you will love it. If you
average more than once a week using it, it worths the money 100%. I am not
saying $1800 is a reasonable deal but you can NOT find anything aftermarket
integrated as well even if you are willing to sepnd same or more money.

One thing to remember, Honda dealer tends to rip you off by charging $2000
or more comparing to the EX V6 without Navi because they have less cars
equiped with Navi. Also less colors to choose, I remember it falls to three
colors only if you want EX V6 with Navi. You will love the XM radio display
on screen. The location of Navi screen is perfect, never a glare problem to
me comparing to the one on dash....

If you need it, get it withourt second thought. If you don't use it, save
the $2000. It is a very useful tool to me.

oups.com...

Old June 11th 05, 08:10 AM
Sparky Spartacus

harry wrote:

> GET IT before you feel SORRY.
>
> I tried several aftermarket Navi on my 2004 Sequoia and I never feel so
> happy with another EX V6 just purchased 10 days ago. Not only it looks
> good, it is moreaccurate than any desktop map software on the market. I
> guess because it is DVD based--more space to put better resolution and data.

What a bizarre thing to say, why do you think the map software makers
don't use DVDs?

> The first I drove it home, it impressed me already-it finds my address
> 10825....exactly. Delorme or MS Streets, nothing ever impressed me so much.

I have used DeLorme for years and it has always been spot on, even used
it to navigate around Maui 18 months ago.

> Also the trip computer integrated into the screen, it is much easier to see
> all info on one screen.
> The voice activation is useless to me.

But getting voice directions is priceless, e.g., "bear right at exit 6
in 1.5 miles, coming up in 2 minutes", "bear right onto the I-80 and go
34 miles to exit 11", stuff like that.

YMMV, of course.
Old June 11th 05, 02:12 PM
Dick

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 03:10:24 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
> wrote:

>> I tried several aftermarket Navi on my 2004 Sequoia and I never feel so
>> happy with another EX V6 just purchased 10 days ago. Not only it looks
>> good, it is moreaccurate than any desktop map software on the market. I
>> guess because it is DVD based--more space to put better resolution and data.

>What a bizarre thing to say, why do you think the map software makers
>don't use DVDs?

Not sure what you are saying here. All my map software (Delorme, MS
Streets, etc.) use DVD's.

>> The first I drove it home, it impressed me already-it finds my address
>> 10825....exactly. Delorme or MS Streets, nothing ever impressed me so much.

>I have used DeLorme for years and it has always been spot on, even used
>it to navigate around Maui 18 months ago.

I have never found Delorme to be as accurate as the Honda nav system.
Typically, when you put an address into Delorme, you get a range of
address numbers from which to choose. You could be a couple of blocks
off. The Honda system usually finds the exact street address.

Dick
Old June 11th 05, 04:41 PM
Sparky Spartacus

Dick wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 03:10:24 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
> > wrote:
>

>>>I tried several aftermarket Navi on my 2004 Sequoia and I never feel so
>>>happy with another EX V6 just purchased 10 days ago. Not only it looks
>>>good, it is moreaccurate than any desktop map software on the market. I
>>>guess because it is DVD based--more space to put better resolution and data.

>>What a bizarre thing to say, why do you think the map software makers
>>don't use DVDs?

> Not sure what you are saying here. All my map software (Delorme, MS
> Streets, etc.) use DVD's.

I was replying to Harry's comment: " I guess because it is DVD
based--more space to put better resolution and data".

>>>The first I drove it home, it impressed me already-it finds my address
>>>10825....exactly. Delorme or MS Streets, nothing ever impressed me so much.

>>I have used DeLorme for years and it has always been spot on, even used
>>it to navigate around Maui 18 months ago.

> I have never found Delorme to be as accurate as the Honda nav system.
> Typically, when you put an address into Delorme, you get a range of
> address numbers from which to choose. You could be a couple of blocks
> off. The Honda system usually finds the exact street address.

Can't comment on the Honda system because I haven't used it. DeLorme has
been spot on for me. Perhaps I'm lucking out because I'm traveling to
well mapped areas for DeLorme? Does anyone know who makes the navi DVDs
for Honda? I doubt very much they have a mapping division.

2005 Accord: iPod-friendly? Paul Wylie Honda 11 April 5th 05 09:09 PM
2005 Accord solar tint glass? Tom Honda 2 March 27th 05 06:59 PM
2005 Honda Accord LX Automatic Best Price? [email protected] Honda 3 March 21st 05 08:12 AM
2005 Accord ... Should I? DaveR Honda 21 February 10th 05 01:15 AM
2005 EX-L with Navigation Jonathan Honda 8 October 1st 04 01:51 AM