Hit & Skip

Old June 8th 05, 08:29 PM
Brian Talley

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:36:46 -0400, Steve wrote:

> My view is that I'm not a cop, so I don't get to decide whether it's
> appropriate for someone to be doing more than the speed limit. Maybe s/he
> has an injured passenger and is on the way to the hospital. So I feel I
> should get out of the way if I'm in the passing lane. OTOH, I am
> sympathetic with the view that accommodating someone breaking the law is not
> your obligation.
> Passing on the right, as the teem's experience shows, is dangerous and
> should be avoided. The truck's driver (the one that hit teem) should, IMHO,
> have first tried to get teem to move over to the right. In fact, in
> Connecticut (last I checked), passing on the right is strictly forbidden.

Passing on the right is not entirely legal in NYS, either. But if you do
it, a cop won't pull you over, unless you're doing mach 3 in which case
you'll get a speeding ticket instead.

Thanks for phrasing the argument in a more politic fashion than I did just
now.

Old June 8th 05, 08:53 PM
SMacIntyre

Whoops!

BTW for everyone - This link puts it better (and more civil)

http://www.roadandtravel.com/carcare/drivetooslow.htm

Scott

"Brian Talley" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 07:28:15 -0400, SMacIntyre wrote:
>
> > I truly believe if everyone would adhere to the basic rule of "Stay to

the
> > right except to pass" that it would eliminate 80%of the aggression seen

on
> > the roads. People get ****ed off and aggressive because of a-holes who
> > believe who putz in the left lane. I ALMOST have no problem with people

if
> > they do want to cruise in the left at the speed limit, IF they drive

with

Old June 8th 05, 09:48 PM
Ron Herfurth

"Brian Talley" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:07:04 -0400, Ron Herfurth wrote:
>

> > I don't call it the fast lane or passing lane, it's just another lane to
> > handle the traffic.

> And this helps illustrate just how bad driver's education is. At least in
> the U.S., which, I (perhaps wrongly) presume is the country from which
> you're driving.
>
> The left-most lane is, in fact, the passing lane. Certainly, in most
> congested areas, it accommodates traffic as do the other two or three
> lanes to the right, but it is *supposed* to be used for passing slower
> vehicles.
>
> > Around here the right lane just seems to have more
> > potholes and rough spots so I stay left.

> You *could* put in a call to your local town/city supervisors and ask them
> to fix the problem.
>
> > The folklore here is that you can
> > drive 5 mph over the limit and you won't get ticketed (some say its 9
> > mph but I don't have the guts to test that theory).

> Oh dear....
>
> > So if someone is in
> > the left lane doing 5 mph over, the right lane is full of cars doing a
> > bit less than the limit, and a guy comes up in the left doing 20 over
> > the limit, is the guy doing 5 over in the left lane obligated to get out
> > of the way of a law breaker?

> YES! MOVE THE **** OVER! WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO PASS JUDGMENT ON THE
> OTHER DRIVER? If you were in another lane, you wouldn't find anyone else
> on your tail. Why do you think that is, hmmm?
>
> > I don't see that someone doing 5 over is
> > causing a roadblock.

> That's probably because you ARE the roadblock. I can't stand 'em.

jees, chill a little.

It's not worth the time to call anyone about long stretches of bad roads
between towns, all the highway money is getting poured into roads in the
large cities.
What's the "oh dear" for? that I might drive a few miles over of that I
don't have guts to drive 9 over? Are you saying I'm a fool or a chicken?
(don't care which, been called a lot worse, just curious).
I DO MOVE OVER ! I DON'T PASS JUDGMENT ! i just wish there was a speed
trap to catch the guy that just blew my doors off.
imho doing 5 over the limit in the left lane is not being a road block,
especially if I pull over for speeders. doing 5 under in the left is a road
block; somehow that distinction has come up in the thread yet.
ron

Old June 9th 05, 12:06 AM
Brian Talley

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:48:13 -0400, Ron Herfurth wrote:

> "Brian Talley" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:07:04 -0400, Ron Herfurth wrote:
>>

>> > I don't call it the fast lane or passing lane, it's just another lane to
>> > handle the traffic.

>> And this helps illustrate just how bad driver's education is. At least in
>> the U.S., which, I (perhaps wrongly) presume is the country from which
>> you're driving.
>>
>> The left-most lane is, in fact, the passing lane. Certainly, in most
>> congested areas, it accommodates traffic as do the other two or three
>> lanes to the right, but it is *supposed* to be used for passing slower
>> vehicles.
>>
>> > Around here the right lane just seems to have more
>> > potholes and rough spots so I stay left.

>> You *could* put in a call to your local town/city supervisors and ask them
>> to fix the problem.
>>
>> > The folklore here is that you can
>> > drive 5 mph over the limit and you won't get ticketed (some say its 9
>> > mph but I don't have the guts to test that theory).

>> Oh dear....
>>
>> > So if someone is in
>> > the left lane doing 5 mph over, the right lane is full of cars doing a
>> > bit less than the limit, and a guy comes up in the left doing 20 over
>> > the limit, is the guy doing 5 over in the left lane obligated to get out
>> > of the way of a law breaker?

>> YES! MOVE THE **** OVER! WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO PASS JUDGMENT ON THE
>> OTHER DRIVER? If you were in another lane, you wouldn't find anyone else
>> on your tail. Why do you think that is, hmmm?
>>
>> > I don't see that someone doing 5 over is
>> > causing a roadblock.

>> That's probably because you ARE the roadblock. I can't stand 'em.
>>

> jees, chill a little.

How 'bout a compromise? I'll lighten up if you'll try to remember that
there are those who prefer to pass (as opposed to merely drive 5MPH over
the speed limit) at whatever speed they choose in the fast lane. Fair?

> It's not worth the time to call anyone about long stretches of bad roads
> between towns, all the highway money is getting poured into roads in the
> large cities.

If the roads are in bad enough condition that you are compelled to drive
in the far left lane and thus impose yourself as a potential hazard to
other drivers, you absolutely should consider it worth the time to contact
someone.

> What's the "oh dear" for? that I might drive a few miles over of that I
> don't have guts to drive 9 over? Are you saying I'm a fool or a chicken?

It's a matter of local culture, I expect. I know in some areas in the
Pacific Northwest, driving the speed limit is the norm. Where I am,
driving 15+ over is the norm. (Of course, the base speed limit plays a
role.)

> (don't care which, been called a lot worse, just curious). I DO MOVE
> OVER ! I DON'T PASS JUDGMENT !

Okay, then there should be no problem. :-) If someone comes up on you
quick when you're in the left lane and you make every effort to get out of
their way ASAP, then you're acting appropriately.

> i just wish there was a speed trap to
> catch the guy that just blew my doors off.

When you're asking about the roads, you might bring up the topic of
additional speed traps, too.

> imho doing 5 over the limit
> in the left lane is not being a road block, especially if I pull over
> for speeders.

I don't care if you're going 150MPH. If someone else wants to do 180, YOU
MOVE! If that's what you're doing, great - no worries. :-) It sounds as
though maybe you're not fully understanding the use of the left lane, is
all.

Old June 9th 05, 01:34 AM
Seamus's Stuff

> YES! MOVE THE F@@@ OVER! WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO PASS JUDGMENT ON THE
> OTHER DRIVER? If you were in another lane, you wouldn't find anyone else
> on your tail. Why do you think that is, hmmm?
>
> > I don't see that someone doing 5 over is
> > causing a roadblock.

> That's probably because you ARE the roadblock. I can't stand 'em.

Just move over...write down the license plate number, call the Highway
Patrol and let them handle the fool...Oh, smile and wave when you go by
while they are getting a massive ticket.

Old June 9th 05, 03:12 AM
Bob Shuman

Good suggestion ... and do remember to make sure that you tell them that the
driver appeared to be drunk and was a danger to others so they make sure
they pull them over.
\

Old June 9th 05, 06:45 AM
Lane

> So if someone is in the left lane doing 5 mph over, the right lane is full
of cars doing a bit less than the limit, and a guy comes up in the left
doing 20 over the limit, is the guy doing 5 over in the left lane obligated
to get out of the way of a law breaker?

Absolutely, without question. Law breaker or not, regardless of speed. Get
the heck out of the way.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old June 9th 05, 07:04 PM
Steve

"Brian Talley" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:36:46 -0400, Steve wrote:
>>
>> My view is that I'm not a cop, so I don't get to decide whether it's
>> appropriate for someone to be doing more than the speed limit. Maybe
>> s/he
>> has an injured passenger and is on the way to the hospital. So I feel I
>> should get out of the way if I'm in the passing lane. OTOH, I am
>> sympathetic with the view that accommodating someone breaking the law is
>> not
>> your obligation.
>> Passing on the right, as the teem's experience shows, is dangerous
>> and
>> should be avoided. The truck's driver (the one that hit teem) should,
>> IMHO,
>> have first tried to get teem to move over to the right. In fact, in
>> Connecticut (last I checked), passing on the right is strictly forbidden.

> Passing on the right is not entirely legal in NYS, either. But if you do
> it, a cop won't pull you over, unless you're doing mach 3 in which case
> you'll get a speeding ticket instead.
>
> Thanks for phrasing the argument in a more politic fashion than I did just
> now.

And thank YOU for the kind words! I'm not always that polite because
there are some times and some subjects about which I feel more as you do.

Too bad about the NY cops failing to enforce the "no passing on right"
law. I wish they'd at least issue warnings more often, if not issue a
ticket.

Old June 11th 05, 10:15 PM
teem

Hi Everyone!,seems i'm at fault with some of you.lets just say if i
tried to move over id a bumped off him & made a real mess.but I was
trying to move over,he didnt want to wait,thanks to all you
witnesses!!.And another thing:looking at the license # while all this
going on is the last thing on your mind.Final story,the ouside mirror
was broken,$160.00.It is amazing how the plastic panels/fenders On my
Ion ''performed''.If I was 10 years younger,I'd be hunting down this
aggressive hilljack. Wed, 08 Jun 2005 19:18:37 GMT, Brian Talley

Old June 13th 05, 12:05 PM
SMacIntyre

Teem-

OK - I'll give you back a small amount of credit - You had failed to mention
that you were TRYING to move over and he didn't wait. I'll give you the
benefit of the doubt that maybe you were passing someone (with the p/u on
your tail) and then didn't give you enough time to move over after you
passed slower traffic. As I said before, as long as your passing someone,
and not "traveling" in the left lane, I wouldn't mind much slowing down to
let you finish your pass, as long as you then moved over.

On a side note, we have a additional problem on Long Island that amplifies
this whole problem and that is the addition of the HOV lanes. They put them
in the far, far left lane, so the idiots have to work their way through 3
lanes of traffic (usually chatting away with their passengers), and cruising
at 55 in the left lane until the entrance to the HOV comes up. The same
when they get out of the HOV - They are entering into traffic moving around
75 doing 55.... Between them and the people trying to go around them it's a
friggin' miracle anyone gets where their going in one piece....

Scott