Loss of power 91 jetta 8valve

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 19th 05, 07:37 PM
dubljay

"One out of many daves" wrote:
> Well if you just bought the car and it passed the emissions
> AND it was
> running this way...........How do you know you have a loss of
> power?
>

> Well back to the basics....
> Check compression.....maybe even a leak down test
> Examine spark plugs well and make sure that they are gapped
> properly.
> Check timing and advance since that will tell you the
> condition of the knock
> sensor. The knock sensor will give you a big loss of power if
> it is bad or
> not torqued down correctly.
> Check vacuum since a leak could cause your problems too.
> Oh and get a Bentley for your vehicle. I think someone has a
> website
> dedicated to the Digifant II system if that is what you have
> on your CA
> equipped Jetta.
>
> Hope this gives you a few leads. ;-)
> --
> later,
> dave
> One out of many daves.
>

> > I am not sure how the ECM was checked, my father did that

> after I left
> > for school (break ended). As for the cad. converter, there

> is plenty
> > of pressure coming out of the exhaust. Also wouldn't a

> partial cloged
> > converter show up on an emisions test? (which was run just

> after I
> > bought the car)
> >
> > Thanks for the input.
> >
> > -Josh

Well I am no expert on jettas, or any car, however I had an 87
Cabriolet with a 1.8L 8valve that would tackle hills at 70mph+ This
jetta barely makes 60 in thrid gear (5 spped manual) on the same
hill. There is not much of a weight difference between the two cars (
I checked), so I know it’s not because the Jetta is significantly
heavier. The other thing is that there is a slight hesitation when
you put your foot down.. there is a very noticible response time. The
reason I believe there is a loss of power is beacuse if an engine with
the same displacement yet older style fuel injection (as in no
computer) can perform one way, it stands to reason that this engine
should be at least as good. Checking stock specs the 1.8 in my 87 had
was rated at 90 hp (i forget the rpm) and the 1.8 in the Jetta is
rated at 100hp.

Again thanks for the input.

-Josh

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Volkswagen...ict120690.html