Drivers side door won't open/shut (cold, winter, ice) 2002 FE

Old December 14th 04, 01:30 PM
Some Dude

Default Drivers side door won't open/shut (cold, winter, ice) 2002 FE

I live up in Vermont and have had this problem since last year that is
bugging me and I want to solve it. When I get up in the morning I
cannot open the drivers side door (it feels like its frozen shut). I
then have to go in the drivers side rear door and lean over the seat
and manually pull the door un "stuck". I can then go back and pull
pretty hard on the door and it will open. It seems as if its stuck
from ice or snow.

This morning I tried to use some deicer on the door latch but that
didn't work. I am wondering what I can do in order to either a)
prevent this from ever happening or b) fix it when it does happen.

Its a real pain driving down the interstate holding the door shut
Thanks!

Old December 14th 04, 02:32 PM
Big Shoe

Spray the rubber door seals with silicone spray every few months.
That will keep them flexible and also prevent them from freezing.
While you're at it, run the window down and spray the channels.

Old December 14th 04, 04:27 PM
Some Dude

So basically its the seals that are preventing the door from closing?
It doesn't have anythign to do with the latch/locking mechanism inside?
That'd be great if thats all it is...

Old December 14th 04, 04:28 PM
Some Dude

So are you referring to the sticking door in the morning or the fact
that the door won't close? Or both? I don't see how spraying the door
seals will allow the latch to lock after getting the door open (so it
will close again)...am I missing something?

Old December 14th 04, 05:07 PM
Big Shoe

You're right, sounds like you are describing two different problems.
The silicone spray will fix the problem with the door freezing shut,
but won't fix the latch problem. I'm not sure how to fix the latch,
but would start by taking the cover off the door and lubricating the
latch linkages. Jim Warman should be a pro at this if he is online.

Old December 14th 04, 05:14 PM
Mark Olson

Big Shoe > wrote:
[top posting fixed]
> On 14 Dec 2004 08:28:30 -0800, "Some Dude" >
> wrote:
>
>>So are you referring to the sticking door in the morning or the fact
>>that the door won't close? Or both? I don't see how spraying the door
>>seals will allow the latch to lock after getting the door open (so it
>>will close again)...am I missing something?

> You're right, sounds like you are describing two different problems.
> The silicone spray will fix the problem with the door freezing shut,
> but won't fix the latch problem. I'm not sure how to fix the latch,
> but would start by taking the cover off the door and lubricating the
> latch linkages. Jim Warman should be a pro at this if he is online.

My '93 Aerostar has a chronic problem with exactly these same symptoms.
It is caused by water getting into the cable that runs from the inside
door handle to the latch mechanism. I've fixed it by thawing out the
cable and blowing out the water with compressed air, then lubing the
cable with Tri-Flow or equivalent.

Old December 15th 04, 12:20 AM
Some Dude

Maybe I'll just get in the passengers-side door I can't be opening
up my car door and working on it outside for extended periods when the
ambient temperature is usually around 5f. (no garage, and
definitely not a heated one!)

Thanks though for the info...If there's anyway/thoughts to do this
without taking the door apart i'd love to know

Thanks!

On 14 Dec 2004 17:14:12 GMT, Mark Olson > wrote:

>Big Shoe > wrote:
>[top posting fixed]
>> On 14 Dec 2004 08:28:30 -0800, "Some Dude" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>So are you referring to the sticking door in the morning or the fact
>>>that the door won't close? Or both? I don't see how spraying the door
>>>seals will allow the latch to lock after getting the door open (so it
>>>will close again)...am I missing something?

>> You're right, sounds like you are describing two different problems.
>> The silicone spray will fix the problem with the door freezing shut,
>> but won't fix the latch problem. I'm not sure how to fix the latch,
>> but would start by taking the cover off the door and lubricating the
>> latch linkages. Jim Warman should be a pro at this if he is online.

>My '93 Aerostar has a chronic problem with exactly these same symptoms.
>It is caused by water getting into the cable that runs from the inside
>door handle to the latch mechanism. I've fixed it by thawing out the
>cable and blowing out the water with compressed air, then lubing the
>cable with Tri-Flow or equivalent.

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh
Old December 15th 04, 02:27 PM
Some Dude

Ok I found a fix for this problem which has worked for one day so thats
a good start

I'm unsure if its a GOOD fix (the for long term) but it worked this
morning at 10f

Basically you spray the deicer on the door latch and on the locking
latch when the car is warm. This morning the door opened *easily* (and
it was colder than yesterday) and it closed just fine. I noticed that
*all* doors are affected by this problem (god forbid I have to hold the
passengers side door closed while going down the interstate (no just
kidding, that'd be a bungee situation)...but

so there's a fix..try it out for your aerostar..can of deicer spray
while the car is warm.