1994 explorer auto hubs grinding

Old December 1st 04, 05:00 PM
Happy Father

Default 1994 explorer auto hubs grinding

when i engage the 4x4 it works fine but i am concerned out the slight
griding noise i hear and feel in the gas petal, is this normal? I assume
with the 4x4 on i should experience a different feel in the gas peddle. It
engages and disengages fine.

The only other thing is when i turn over 1/2 way to the right or left, it
feels like the ujoint have to pop back. this i know is normal since one
wheel is turning faster than the other but i am concerned about snapping the
ujoints.

any idieas?

Old December 1st 04, 07:31 PM
Jim Warman

Dump the auto hubs... sounds like one of them isn't releasing. Warn manual
hubs are the way to fly..... Google hubs in this NG and you will see it is a
very, very common problem.

Old December 1st 04, 08:16 PM
Big Bill

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:00:00 -0500, "Happy Father"
> wrote:

>when i engage the 4x4 it works fine but i am concerned out the slight
>griding noise i hear and feel in the gas petal, is this normal? I assume
>with the 4x4 on i should experience a different feel in the gas peddle. It
>engages and disengages fine.
>
>The only other thing is when i turn over 1/2 way to the right or left, it
>feels like the ujoint have to pop back. this i know is normal since one
>wheel is turning faster than the other but i am concerned about snapping the
>ujoints.
>
>any idieas?

4x4 should only be engaged on a surface where the wheels can slip; it
sounds like you're doing this on pavement or some other surface that
won't let the wheels slip.
Am I close?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 1st 04, 09:27 PM
Bob

Jim Warman wrote:
> Dump the auto hubs... sounds like one of them isn't releasing. Warn manual
> hubs are the way to fly..... Google hubs in this NG and you will see it is a
> very, very common problem.
>

> "Happy Father" > wrote in message
>
>>when i engage the 4x4 it works fine but i am concerned out the slight
>>griding noise i hear and feel in the gas petal, is this normal? I assume
>>with the 4x4 on i should experience a different feel in the gas peddle.
>>It engages and disengages fine.
>>
>>The only other thing is when i turn over 1/2 way to the right or left, it
>>feels like the ujoint have to pop back. this i know is normal since one
>>wheel is turning faster than the other but i am concerned about snapping
>>the ujoints.
>>
>>any idieas?

I am going to dump my flaky autohubs for warn manual hubs. I'm thinking
of replacing the 4 WD shift motor with a floor lever too. Is this
possible? advisable? hard to do? (1994 Explorer XL, automatic transmission).
Old December 2nd 04, 12:51 AM
Jim Warman

Rereading his inital question, I think you're on the trail, Bill... Happy
Father is learning about driveline windup...

Old December 2nd 04, 02:07 PM
Happy Father

i used the 44 last night and it engages and disengages just fine. i live in
canada and we are starting to get snow.

I guess i didnt explain clearly what i am concerned about. When i engage
the 4x4 and it engages fine it feels and sounds like friction almost
grinding. I can turn left or right to about 80% anymore and the ujoints
have to "hop".

Old December 3rd 04, 12:38 AM
Big Bill

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:07:12 -0500, "Happy Father"
> wrote:

>i used the 44 last night and it engages and disengages just fine. i live in
>canada and we are starting to get snow.
>
>I guess i didnt explain clearly what i am concerned about. When i engage
>the 4x4 and it engages fine it feels and sounds like friction almost
>grinding. I can turn left or right to about 80% anymore and the ujoints
>have to "hop".

I'll ask again, because maybe you didn't see it first time...
4x4 is intended to be used on a surface where the tires can slip
relatively easily; snow, sand, gravel, that sort of thing.
If you're doing this on pavement or hard packed ground, this in itself
may be causing what you are hearing.
What surface are you doing this on?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 3rd 04, 02:49 PM
Happy Father

like i said, "i live in canada and we are starting to get snow." if i am on
dry pavement the sound is there and if im in the snow i can also hear it.

Old December 3rd 04, 08:11 PM
Big Bill

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:49:17 -0500, "Happy Father"
> wrote:

>like i said, "i live in canada and we are starting to get snow." if i am on
>dry pavement the sound is there and if im in the snow i can also hear it.

Sorry, I didn't see the post where you said that.
Don't do that on dry pavement.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

1994 Explorer hubs "grinding"/"buzzing"/"noisy" when disengaged Chris 4x4 2 November 26th 04 02:34 PM
1994 Explorer hubs "grinding"/"buzzing"/"noisy" when disengaged Chris Ford Explorer 3 November 26th 04 02:34 PM
91 Explorer auto hubs Rodger 4x4 0 March 24th 04 02:11 AM
Replacing Auto Hubs with Warn Lockouts Darin 4x4 2 December 24th 03 06:33 AM