2003 Mountaineer V8 Tranny Fluid Change

Old November 30th 04, 08:00 PM
D.D. Palmer

Default 2003 Mountaineer V8 Tranny Fluid Change

It's just not clear to me when the tranny needs to be flushed and how it's
done and who can do it. Apparently it's now a sealed unit without a
dipstick. The owner's manual is worthless...it says if you have THIS tranny
(gives a code number), then change this often, if THAT tranny, than that
often. How the hell do I know which tranny my vehicle has.

There has to be someone reading this with some common sense on this issue.
Can the tranny be flushed, SHOULD it be done, WHEN should it be done and
WHERE can/should it be done? My vehicle now have 30,000 miles. Too soon?

Old December 1st 04, 06:39 AM
Jim Warman

Your transmission is supposedly filled for life (unless, of course, we
subject it to "severe" service... towing, temperature extremes- that sort of
thing). In light of the many choices of ATF available and their
incompatability with each other, this may not be that much nonsense. I'm no
longer a big fan of chemical flushing though chemical flushing machines can
be used for fluid exchanges withot the use of chemicals. I have come to
believe that it is near impossible to rid the transmission of the flushing
chemical and that many shops selling the service are trying to substitute
Dexron/Mercon treated with some "miracle" ingredient as Mercon V
substitutes.

The process can be done manually but, unfortunately, filling your
transmission takes either specialized equipment or a certain amount of
mechanical creativity. Bear in mind that the road to hell is paved with good
intentions and making a cock-up of a manual fluid exchange may ruin someones
Xmas plans (read "get expensive"). If you haven't subjected the trans to any
conditions that could be construed as 'abuse', you may be further ahead to
leave well enough alone. A popular misconception is that "since one cooler
line pumps fluid out, the other one must suck fluid in....". Rest assured
that this is not the case and anyone trying that idea will be left with an
empty transmission pan.

Disclaimer... I work on a LOT more SuperDuties than Exs and our weather
oscillates between temperate and freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

Old December 1st 04, 01:14 PM
D.D. Palmer

So in plain english, are you saying to NEVER change the tranny fluid?

Old December 1st 04, 02:12 PM
Jim Warman

Heavens, no....

I said FORD has stated your trans is lubed for life if used in "normal"
service.

I said DON'T use chemical flushing agents if using a flushing machine to
exchange the fluid..

I said it is very difficult as a DIY project.

Towing, temperature extremes, short trips that don't allow the transmission
to come to operating temperature and extended periods of idling in gear (as
in heavy traffic) would all move your usage into the realm of "severe
service".

For the 2003 Mountaineer, the WSM lists only the 5R55S transmission....

Old December 2nd 04, 12:01 AM
D.D. Palmer

Jim, I do appreciate your advice here and I am not trying to be a smartarse.
But I never mentioned doing it myself. Even if it could be done myself, I
have no inclination to do so. I am merely asking WHEN to take it to the
dealer (or a reputable shop) to have it done. The vehicle is now 27 months
old/30,500 miles.

Old December 2nd 04, 01:00 AM
Jim Warman

Sorry, D.D., I wasn't trying to come across quite the way you think....
there's lots of other people reading these questions and answers... some of
them may need the extra advice or opinion....

Besides, you didn't say you WEREN'T going to do it yourself either - I have
no way of knowing. If I hadn't spoken of it's difficulty level.... someone,
somewhere would surely try and then return to give me "what for" for not
mentioning it...

Old December 4th 04, 03:41 AM
Peter

Hi Jim,
I took your advice and got my tranny fluid changed/serviced on my 01
Exp-Sport. While I was there I did ask the Ford dealer what the story
was with the 50k/250KKm on the "Service Guide". He said that this
particular 5sp tranny had many extreamly small passages which are
susseptable to clogging with normal debree buildup within the
transmission. He said that once the filter screen is full, the bypass
valve opens and thereby accelerates the possibility of internal
abraisions causing addittional debree and eventually shifting issues.
He indicated this is the reason why he even gets work from when the
quick flush lube shops do there thing. Reasoning is the flushing
action stirs up the debree without replaceing the filter, which may
already be in bypass mode. As for the service at 30KMiles or 50KKm, I
found it quite usefull getting a quick report on an inspection of the
innards and the condition of the oil coming out of the tranny. The
cost,$190cdn taxes in may sound expensive, but the way I see it,
changing the fuid every two years is no more than I spend on motor oil
changes, but may prevent a really expensive tranny service.
Old December 4th 04, 01:09 PM
MikePier

"D.D. Palmer" > wrote in message >...
> It's just not clear to me when the tranny needs to be flushed and how it's
> done and who can do it. Apparently it's now a sealed unit without a
> dipstick. The owner's manual is worthless...it says if you have THIS tranny
> (gives a code number), then change this often, if THAT tranny, than that
> often. How the hell do I know which tranny my vehicle has.
>
> There has to be someone reading this with some common sense on this issue.
> Can the tranny be flushed, SHOULD it be done, WHEN should it be done and
> WHERE can/should it be done? My vehicle now have 30,000 miles. Too soon?

More and more I see this a lot in new cars, where the tranny is sealed
and no dipstick. But I still think a tranny fluid change at 30K is the
way to go and it can't hurt, especially if you do a lot of stop and go
and towing. I remember I used to change the tranny on all my cars at
30K. Never had a problem.