Exhaust Resonator on 99 SW

Old November 23rd 04, 12:27 AM
69FLH

Default Exhaust Resonator on 99 SW

Seems that I have a bad resonator. Dealer wanted to repair but I told them
kto hold off for $$ reasons. I got a booK ( Haynes) and seems it is very
lacking in what it has to offer in the way of info. I have read elsewhere
that the resonator is not replaceable without cutting and welding etc. Will
a regular exhaust shop maybe take of of it then if it is just a simple cut
and weld like that or is there more to it? Can the damn thing just be cut
out and straight pipe put in it's place. I am in Ca. so it might be an issue
when it needs to be smogged again. Don't need any of those hassles.... Any
help appreciated....
TIA

Old November 23rd 04, 02:53 AM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:27:53 -0800, "69FLH" >
wrote:

>Seems that I have a bad resonator. Dealer wanted to repair but I told them
>kto hold off for $$ reasons. I got a booK ( Haynes) and seems it is very
>lacking in what it has to offer in the way of info. I have read elsewhere
>that the resonator is not replaceable without cutting and welding etc. Will
>a regular exhaust shop maybe take of of it then if it is just a simple cut
>and weld like that or is there more to it? Can the damn thing just be cut
>out and straight pipe put in it's place. I am in Ca. so it might be an issue
>when it needs to be smogged again. Don't need any of those hassles.... Any
>help appreciated....
>TIA

First thing that came to mind was that it's just for noise
suppression. So far it appears to be just that. So, being an item I
could not ignore(depending on how loud I listen to the radio) I would
try to repair it. If it failed, I'm guessing you mean it developed
a whole. I would use some muffler wrap on it to hold it over till I
"had" to repair it.

Now as far as inpections go, well a wrap could be considered a
temperary patch of the exhaust system, and if they can not get a valid
sample I'm sure they will fail you. I chance it. I mean if you 'fix
it' and it holds exhaust back, and out the designed flow path, could
it be considered tampering?

A google search turned up the typical warnings about a failed
resonator, same kind of warnings you get with open mufflers in fall:
http://www.urlbee.com?349 search for 'resonator' theres the typical
warning about broken ones could lead towards a fire under the car.

BTW, here is a page where people talk about replacing it yourself:
http://www.urlbee.com?350

Wish you luck, been years myself since I had to work on any exhaust
piping(was a toyota thing), and with my saturn I seem to come accross
electrical problems mostly.

later,

Old November 23rd 04, 11:40 PM
R Miller

> Seems that I have a bad resonator. Dealer wanted to repair but I told them
> kto hold off for $$ reasons. I got a booK ( Haynes) and seems it is very
> lacking in what it has to offer in the way of info. I have read elsewhere
> that the resonator is not replaceable without cutting and welding etc. Will
> a regular exhaust shop maybe take of of it then if it is just a simple cut
> and weld like that or is there more to it? Can the damn thing just be cut
> out and straight pipe put in it's place. I am in Ca. so it might be an issue
> when it needs to be smogged again. Don't need any of those hassles.... Any
> help appreciated....
> TIA

I also have a 99sw2 and my resonator went bad. It sounded like the
muffler was shot because it's right under the front seats. I took it to
the dealer and originally was told around $250. When I picked it up, it
was free because it was a saturn defect.I didnt argue and left quickly.
A mechanic told me it happens alot on older style resonators. The old
style looks like a small cheap narrow muffler. The new one is a long
welded one that looks like a long cat converter only much better made
than the old one. I don't remenber if it's a one piece welded exhaust.
Hope this helps

Exhaust Leak Ltine 4x4 3 August 27th 04 01:50 AM
Exhaust Leak Ltine 4x4 2 August 22nd 04 08:45 PM
Exhaust leak 2000 SL2 Eric Mark Saturn 3 June 9th 04 04:14 AM
93 SW2 Exhaust, how many pieces Zaf Saturn 0 June 1st 04 07:38 PM
1969 Fairlane Dual Exhaust Rob N Antique cars 1 April 21st 04 12:47 AM