1998 SL2 Automatic Transmission Problem

Old September 8th 04, 04:01 PM
Erick Carpenter

Default 1998 SL2 Automatic Transmission Problem

Got a bit of weirdness going on.

The transmission has always been a bit slow when kicking into reverse.
If the car has just been started or has been idling for a bit it'll take
a quick second to kick in, but not a delay I would call out of the
ordinary for changing gears.

After it has been running for awhile (an hour or more) it seems to take
several seconds to get into reverse. It's longer than I would typically
expect it to take, but has yet to not pop into reverse and work.

Any ideas?

Thanks..

EC
Old September 8th 04, 10:31 PM
Blah Blah

Not unless its still under some sort of warranty which means you had to
of bought it used recently. On a good note however its easy to remove
the valve body on a TAAT.

Its best to just replace the entire VB but heres some details on your
problem.
http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/parts/PDF/95200-02_03K(rb).pdf

In article >,
says...

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sa...2valve+body%22

Old September 8th 04, 10:39 PM
Blah Blah

Actually now that I look at that link it doesnt say anything about
having to buy a reamer like you usually need. (reamers are 50 bucks or
better) I just noticed they had o-rings on the valves. You might be able
to just buy those parts. I'm not entirely sure... No one here ever
mentioned using a Sonnax kit as a fix.

In article >,
says...

Old September 9th 04, 02:12 PM
jdoe

You know there is a similar issue on GM's 4L60E trans. Only it causes the
torque converter to malfunction and burn up. I believe it's the same co.
that makes a "kit" for this but the kit is something like $450 as I recall.
Seems Gm can't figure out how to make a valve body.
Larry

Old September 9th 04, 05:37 PM
Blah Blah

Yeah its namely the TCC valve on the 4l60e. GM knew how to make a valve
body and they got things back in order now I think... They just didnt
bother to take into account that when you went from iron to aluminum you
have to make changes at that time. (such as making valves larger and
longer to reduce wear) The cast iron valve bodies held up great. I think
once you paid for every VB fix from sonnax for the 4l60e you would of
been better off to of bought a upgraded replacement VB from GM. Not
pratical for the diy'er but if you have a trans shop it would pay off.

In article <_EY%c.12233$D%.8401@attbi_s51>, says...
> You know there is a similar issue on GM's 4L60E trans. Only it causes the
> torque converter to malfunction and burn up. I believe it's the same co.
> that makes a "kit" for this but the kit is something like $450 as I recall.
> Seems Gm can't figure out how to make a valve body.
> Larry
> "Blah Blah" > wrote in message
> > Actually now that I look at that link it doesnt say anything about
> > having to buy a reamer like you usually need. (reamers are 50 bucks or
> > better) I just noticed they had o-rings on the valves. You might be able
> > to just buy those parts. I'm not entirely sure... No one here ever
> > mentioned using a Sonnax kit as a fix.
> >
> > In article >,

says...

Old September 10th 04, 04:22 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
Blah Blah > wrote:

> Yeah its namely the TCC valve on the 4l60e.

Heh, is there ANY GM tranny that DIDN'T have TCC issues with it?
Though, they poped up on a few other cars too. IIRC, Ford used a
centrifugal setup on the C5, I have no idea how well it works, but they
dropped it. The AOD had a real assinine setup on it, which made it easy
and fun to blow up...

> GM knew how to make a valve
> body and they got things back in order now I think...

Yeah. They're complex as heck, though But they do work very nicely.

> They just didnt
> bother to take into account that when you went from iron to aluminum you
> have to make changes at that time. (such as making valves larger and
> longer to reduce wear)

Interesting, when did they change? ISTR Ford used aluminum long ago, at
least, I think they do. The C6 I did for a friend was from the 70's and
the VB seemed to be light enough to be aluminum...

> The cast iron valve bodies held up great.

Powerglide!
Old September 10th 04, 08:24 AM
steve

go to saturfans.com. do a seach on the forums for reverse slam. there is a
fix that has a good success rate.
what you do is change the trans fluid, add a bottle of prolube trans
treatment. put the car in reverse with the e-brake on and let it run for
1/2 to 1 hr. this seems to clear out the valve body. it worked on my saturn.

Old September 10th 04, 11:42 AM
jdoe

FWIW allmost all VB are aluminum and until I bought my 1st GM product in
over 20 years (suburban) I never had a VB problem. Now I've had 2 'burb and
Saturn.
Larry
"Blah Blah" > wrote in message
> Yeah its namely the TCC valve on the 4l60e. GM knew how to make a valve
> body and they got things back in order now I think... They just didnt
> bother to take into account that when you went from iron to aluminum you
> have to make changes at that time. (such as making valves larger and
> longer to reduce wear) The cast iron valve bodies held up great. I think
> once you paid for every VB fix from sonnax for the 4l60e you would of
> been better off to of bought a upgraded replacement VB from GM. Not
> pratical for the diy'er but if you have a trans shop it would pay off.
>

> In article <_EY%c.12233$D%.8401@attbi_s51>, says...
> > You know there is a similar issue on GM's 4L60E trans. Only it causes

the
> > torque converter to malfunction and burn up. I believe it's the same co.
> > that makes a "kit" for this but the kit is something like $450 as I

recall.
> > Seems Gm can't figure out how to make a valve body.
> > Larry
> > "Blah Blah" > wrote in message
> > > Actually now that I look at that link it doesnt say anything about
> > > having to buy a reamer like you usually need. (reamers are 50 bucks or
> > > better) I just noticed they had o-rings on the valves. You might be

able
> > > to just buy those parts. I'm not entirely sure... No one here ever
> > > mentioned using a Sonnax kit as a fix.
> > >
> > > In article >,

says...