Saturn VS Honda

Old December 16th 04, 03:00 PM
B. Peg

My alternator in a '94 SL2 made it to 110,000 miles.

Around here, batteries only last 2 years though due to the heat.

Still on the original radiator hoses too at 125,000 miles!

My Ford blew hoses every two years along with freeze plugs (costly to pull
engine for the rear one), radiators, and 3 alternators, 1 headliner (glue
came loose (heat), 1 bent crankshaft, heat damaged computer (mounted on
engine by smart Ford engineer!), assorted broken springs, and a bunch of
minor stuff. Only way to drive the Ford was to take routes close to car
part shops (no lie!). Had nice well used-toolset in trunk just in case.
What a piece of crap car that was.

B~

Old December 16th 04, 04:38 PM
Bill Davis

"Ron Herfurth" > wrote:

>"EDeneen" > wrote in message
>> >The only
>> >problem we've all had were alternators, which go out every 70k like

>clockwork
>>
>> The original alternator in my SL lasted over 120,000 miles !

>What year is your SL and is it an SL1 or SL2 ?
>
>The original on my 94 SL1 made it just past the warrant, The one I got at
>the dealer to replace it made it just past its 3 year warranty. The one I
>got a local Chevy dealer only had a 1 year warranty but is still working.
>ron

Another data point: '93 SL2, 137K miles & 11 years (at which point
the car was totaled), original alternator (battery replaced twice).
Almost all driving done in Southern California (medium to high air
temps.).

I lost the oil burner lottery, could be I won the alternator lottery
).

Bill Davis
'93 SL2, 2005 ION2
Old December 16th 04, 11:27 PM
EDeneen

>What year is your SL

It was a '94 SL, just SL, basic single cam. I have heard the twin cams ate
alternaters because oil tended to leak into them, but this is just what I heard
on-line. It ran 168K with no major work. It threw the engine at 168, so I got
a new Ion.

Old December 17th 04, 07:17 AM
Caleb Olson

"Art" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Quite frankly if you are happy with the Honda get another. My parents
> bought a L300 Saturn wagon several months ago and I have driven it quite a
> bit. Honda is well known for its tight steering. I do not believe you
> would be happy with the vague steering of at least this Saturn
> particularly when pointing the wheel straight. There is no road feel at
> all when the wheel is centered.

You're comparing the L series (their "luxury" model if I'm right) to a
civic, of course the steering is going to be tighter in the civic. As far
as a mileage difference, go to to gov's fuel economy site and they should
have a rating. As far as reliability, I've see 3 saturns now (S series)
with over 250,00 and still running strong.

Old December 17th 04, 02:11 PM
Ron Herfurth

"EDeneen" > wrote in message
> >What year is your SL

> It was a '94 SL, just SL, basic single cam. I have heard the twin cams ate
> alternaters because oil tended to leak into them, but this is just what I

heard
> on-line. It ran 168K with no major work. It threw the engine at 168, so I

got
> a new Ion.

The single cams (SL & SL1 ) also ate alternators since they were jammed back
behind the engine where they couldn't get any cool air. I heard this was
corrected on later models but can't say what year.
ron 94 SL1

Old December 17th 04, 02:45 PM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:11:04 -0500, "Ron Herfurth"
> wrote:

>"EDeneen" > wrote in message
>> >What year is your SL

>> It was a '94 SL, just SL, basic single cam. I have heard the twin cams ate
>> alternaters because oil tended to leak into them, but this is just what I

>heard
>> on-line. It ran 168K with no major work. It threw the engine at 168, so I

>got
>> a new Ion.

>The single cams (SL & SL1 ) also ate alternators since they were jammed back
>behind the engine where they couldn't get any cool air. I heard this was
>corrected on later models but can't say what year.
>ron 94 SL1

corrected, I wonder if it was possible to make it worse than what it
is in my 97sl2. My altenator is located between the firewall and the
engine, right beneath the power stearing pump, son when the pump seal
fails again, they can get a two-fer out of this repair again. Seal
fails, leaks all over the altenator, altenator fails and wow that was
a nice bill.

later,

Tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com