Steering on E46 325Ci Sport (18" wheels)

Old February 3rd 05, 11:38 PM
Chris

Default Steering on E46 325Ci Sport (18" wheels)

I have a 325Ci 01, it pulls to the left a bit but whenever I hit a
little uneaven road surface it does strange things which are very
unnerving, is this normal or should I go and see my dealer? I have
done about 50 000 miles.
Old February 4th 05, 07:32 AM
Alexander :-\)

I have 330 sport Ci and ever since fitting continental tyres on the rear
with Michelin pilot sports on the front my car is now very twitchy

Cant wait to get rid of the contis and get back to the Michelin Pilot.

May be worth having the steering and wheel alignment checked, no rumbles
from the wheels on hard braking and cornering ???

om...

Old February 4th 05, 12:19 PM
Chris

"Alexander :-\)" > wrote in message >...
> I have 330 sport Ci and ever since fitting continental tyres on the rear
> with Michelin pilot sports on the front my car is now very twitchy
>
> Cant wait to get rid of the contis and get back to the Michelin Pilot.
>
> May be worth having the steering and wheel alignment checked, no rumbles
> from the wheels on hard braking and cornering ???

Has recently had a full alignment and no rumbles have Pirelli PZeros on the front.
I have heard from someone else that the sports suspension does not like bumpy roads

Old February 5th 05, 12:20 AM
Tom Korth

"Alexander :-)" > wrote in message
>I have 330 sport Ci and ever since fitting continental tyres on the rear
>with Michelin pilot sports on the front my car is now very twitchy
>
> Cant wait to get rid of the contis and get back to the Michelin Pilot.
>
> May be worth having the steering and wheel alignment checked, no rumbles
> from the wheels on hard braking and cornering ???

The Conti SportContact 2 tires on my 328is are fine - maybe you should try
the same tires on all four wheels. Didn't the shop which sold you the tires
warn you that different tread patterns could result in handling problems?

Tom

Old February 5th 05, 01:57 PM
Mike

"Alexander :-)" > wrote in message
> I have 330 sport Ci and ever since fitting continental tyres on the rear
> with Michelin pilot sports on the front my car is now very twitchy
>
> Cant wait to get rid of the contis and get back to the Michelin Pilot.
>
> May be worth having the steering and wheel alignment checked, no rumbles
> from the wheels on hard braking and cornering ???

I get rumbles from my wheels on hard braking and cornering in my E34 with
18" alloys, does this mean something is up? I just put it down to poor road
surfaces.

Old February 5th 05, 05:14 PM
Todd Zuercher

Alexander :-) wrote:
> I have 330 sport Ci and ever since fitting continental tyres on the rear
> with Michelin pilot sports on the front my car is now very twitchy
>
> Cant wait to get rid of the contis and get back to the Michelin Pilot.
>
> May be worth having the steering and wheel alignment checked, no rumbles
> from the wheels on hard braking and cornering ???
>

> "Chris" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>I have a 325Ci 01, it pulls to the left a bit but whenever I hit a
>>little uneaven road surface it does strange things which are very
>>unnerving, is this normal or should I go and see my dealer? I have
>>done about 50 000 miles.

Having different tires on some cars can have a very detramental effect
on handling. I bought some new rear tires for a car of mine that were
the same brand and tread pattern but had a lower speed rating then the
old fronts. I didn't notice the difference before I bought them I
thought (assumed) they were the same. The car behaved horribly darted,
followed ruts in the road, ect. It turns out that the new tires had a
much softer sidewall construction than the old ones.