Daytime Running Lights on '97 Mazda 626

Old February 3rd 05, 10:38 PM

Default Daytime Running Lights on '97 Mazda 626

I have a problem with the daytime running lights on a '97 Mazda 626.
They only work intermittently, and sometimes they stay on when the car
is turned off. They have killed the battery more than once, so I want
to disable them. I can't find any information specific to Mazdas, in
fact a lot of sites don't list Mazda at all so it may be an aftermarket
kit (we got the car used). Can anyone tell me what to look for, or how
to disable the DRLs?

Old February 4th 05, 01:53 PM
HLS

This is the first good reason I have seen for disabling a DRL system, but
fixing them would be better.

Every time I get on the road in heavy rain, fog, or other conditions where
visibility is reduced, I wonder why some idiots won't turn on their lights.
(It is the law here, by the way.) Actually, I am sure that most of these
people aren't idiots ...they just forget.

I was on the road in rain the other day, and noticed a driver tearing along
in the passing lane at a high rate of speed. When she passed me,
she was reading a damn book!! Now, that is an idiot.

Old February 4th 05, 03:17 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, HLS wrote:

> Every time I get on the road in heavy rain, fog, or other conditions where
> visibility is reduced,

This is NOT what DRLs are for! If you think it is, you're part of a very
serious problem. The correct lights for use in rain, fog or other
conditions of reduced visibility are the low beam headlamps, including all
front, side and rear parking/tail/marker lights. DRLs are for conspicuity
in CLEAR weather during the day. Most DRL systems are dangerously
inadequate for use in bad weather and/or at night, but that doesn't stop
people thinking their DRL-equipped car has "automatic lights" and failing
to turn on their proper lights when they're needed -- even up here in
Canada where DRLs have been on all new cars since 1/1/90.

Old February 4th 05, 04:49 PM
HLS

Dont be such an ass, Daniel. This newsgroup seems to have effected your once
positive personality.

My van doesn't have DRLs. I turn on my lights, as I am instructed to do by
the laws of this state.

My wife's Buick does have DRLs. It automatically sets low beams on and and
the taillights work as well. You can override and set high beams if you
need them, which is seldom the case.

I came upon one jackass the other day in the rain who had turned on his
parking lights. Better than nothing if you are facing him, but sets no
taillights, no rear warning.

Old February 4th 05, 06:06 PM
Steve

HLS wrote:

> I came upon one jackass the other day in the rain who had turned on his
> parking lights. Better than nothing if you are facing him, but sets no
> taillights, no rear warning.

If he had his parking lights on, the rear lights WOULD have been on.
What you probably saw was a vehicle with turn-signal based DRLs. That is
the only system I'm aware of that will illuminate the front amber
signals without also illuminating the rear parking lamps.

Old February 4th 05, 06:41 PM

In Canada? Nope, about 600 miles south of Windsor ON. My guess is it's
an aftermarket module. Either way, will it be under the dashboard like
the ones shown for the Miata? TeGGer's link gave me an idea of what to
look for.

Old February 4th 05, 06:44 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, HLS wrote:

> Dont be such an ass, Daniel. This newsgroup seems to have effected your
> once positive personality.

You must be new to the newsgroups. I've been here since '94. If you don't
like my posts, you are cordially invited to disregard them.

> I came upon one jackass the other day in the rain who had turned on his
> parking lights. Better than nothing if you are facing him, but sets no
> taillights, no rear warning.

Nope. Turning on the parking lamps turns on the taillamps and sidemarkers,
too. You came upon a jackass with a vehicle that had full-time turn signal
DRLs.

Old February 7th 05, 03:46 PM

Found the ******* and cut it out. Nothing under the dash looked
suspicious, so I looked under the hood. I can't believe I didn't
notice it before. About a 2" cube with a bundle of wires zip-tied to
it. Power lead from the fuse box, ground wire, and wires to the
headlights and winshield wiper motor attached with crimp on connectors.
It doesn't have any kind of printing on it, so I don't know who to
complain about. Anyway, {anonymous DRL module manufacturer} makes
total crap and you shouldn't buy their products.

2004 A4 Running Lights Len Sadauskas Audi 11 January 14th 05 11:58 PM
Can't turn off running lights firemedic Honda 4 November 21st 04 05:15 PM
The Running lights issue JJ Audi 1 October 23rd 04 04:02 AM
Adding Daytime Running Lights: 1998 A6 Quattro Jay Somerset Audi 4 September 13th 04 12:43 PM
OEM Mazda parts microfiche sets for sale Bigjfig Mazda 0 August 29th 04 11:21 PM