Side Windows in Jeep Wangler

Old February 4th 05, 04:02 AM
Anthony Page

Default Side Windows in Jeep Wangler

Hi, I'm very new to Jeeps but I want to own one, I have a few questions
though. I was at the Jeep wrangler website and saw that some of the models
had cloth for the side window and frame, can these cloth sides be folded
down? Can the models with the metal frame and glass window sides also be
folded down? Do any of the Jeeps models come with automatic gear shift? Or
are they all manual? Is it easy to put the front window down? what speeds
can you safely drive with the front window down?
Old February 4th 05, 04:42 AM
Brett Little

The different doors you saw are the half doors and the full doors. The full
doors work just like any door, you roll the window down. The half doors are
just that, half of the door without the window. they come with "cloth"
windows that you can unzip and fold down. Wranglers do come in automatic.
Im not sure if its easy to put down the windshield because I never have but
im sure its quite easy. I never really had the urge to put down the
windshield because once you start going pretty much any real speed, the wind
gets unbearable (or so i hear). I dont know of really anyone who puts
theirs down at all, and i know a lot of jeepers.

Brett

.130...

Old February 4th 05, 04:58 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You may look around the soft top manufacture for TJs at:
http://www.bestop.com/ Their tops don't fold down like an American
convertible, rather take it apart in sections so as we may just remove
the doors and side curtains and retain the top to protect us from the
sun. If your good you may fold it all up and put it under the rear seat.
The hardtop is one piece fiberglass, and removed as a unit, some make a
hoist for it: http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/hardtopstorage.htm
I drive with my Civilian Jeep's windshield down along our
California coast highway, where the speed limit is twenty five. Any
speed faster is very uncomfortable, many times worst than a motorcycle.
Of course it's always down for off road.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 4th 05, 06:17 PM
Jeff Strickland

Tony,
There are two ways to have a top on a Wrangler (we use TJ to refer to these
models), you can have a hard top and you can have a soft top, OR you can
have both - this is the Dual Top option. If you get the hard top, you will
get Full Doors, if you get the soft top you can get either Full Doors of
Half Doors. With the Dual Top, you will get the Full Doors.

My personal preference is for the Full Doors, ONLY because the zipper
windows that come with the Half Doors are a pain in the ass at the drive-up
window. Also, if you get full doors, then you can get half doors later from
a variety of aftermarket sources, but if you get half doors from the
factory, finding full doors later is very difficult. Since the doors can be
taken off for Summer, and for offroad driving, then it is also true that you
can swap them around for different needs.

The Hard Top can be removed easily. There are a couple of bolts along each
side, and maybe a connector or two for lights, and then two guys can simply
lift the top off and set it on the ground.

The Soft Top has windows that are held in by zippers. You can remove them
and then fold the top down into the space behind the back seat and the
tailgate.

The hard top is molded fiberglass, actually it is different material, but
this works for this explanation, and the windows are glass. The rear window
opens upward and the tailgate can be opened to get into the back. The spare
tire is on a swing-away carrier that must be opened first. The soft top gets
windows that are zippered in place. The rear window can be unzipped and
rolled up and is held out of the way by a pair of elastic straps. The side
windows can be carefully rolled into a tube and stored in the space behind
the seat before the rest of the top is lowered. The soft top has a metal
frame.

Old February 4th 05, 07:30 PM
Derrick Hudson

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 03:02:40 GMT, Anthony Page wrote:
> Hi, I'm very new to Jeeps but I want to own one, I have a few questions
> though. I was at the Jeep wrangler website and saw that some of the models
> had cloth for the side window and frame, can these cloth sides be folded
> down?

The windows on the half-doors can be completely removed -- the video
that comes with the owners manual shows that the canvas and vinyl is
attached to a wire frame that sits on top of the door. The window
can also be unzipped, like the rear windows, while the frame is still
on the door.

> Can the models with the metal frame and glass window sides also be
> folded down?

No. The window does roll down just like any other vehicle with a
frame around the window.

The doors are interchangeable, so if you change your mind later you
can buy a pair of the other style door and switch them. Note that
rolling down the window on the full door isn't the same as removing
the window on the half-door: the full door is cut higher and the
window frame is sill there.

> Do any of the Jeeps models come with automatic gear shift? Or
> are they all manual?

The automatic is an $800 option. I like my 6-speed :-).

> Is it easy to put the front window down?

According to the manual, you simply remove the wiper arms (no tools
needed, just slide a clip) then remove two torx bolts. A strap is
provided to secure the windshield to the hood.

I fully intend to lower my windshield when summer comes around!
(I bought mine this winter)

> what speeds
> can you safely drive with the front window down?

Low speeds! The manual says something like 20 mph, IIRC. I suppose
it wouldn't be a bad idea to wear the goggles they used to wear with
roadsters back in the 20's, or at least have sunglasses on.

The Wrangler is a fun vehicle to drive with plenty of options and
built-in simplicity of design.

-D

--
UNIX is basically a simple operating system,
but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/ jabber:
Old February 4th 05, 07:48 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The air is so compressed running over the hood, I can hardly
breath. Nothing like folding my little '55 Austin Healy windshield down.
Like: http://www.reviewjournal.com/auto/ne.../25158627.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 4th 05, 08:22 PM
Dave Milne

never had you down as an Austin Healey man, Bill. What model did you have ?
They cost a fortune now.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old February 4th 05, 08:30 PM
Jeff Strickland

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> I drive with my Civilian Jeep's windshield down along our
> California coast highway, where the speed limit is twenty five. Any
> speed faster is very uncomfortable, many times worst than a motorcycle.

It is illegal in California to drive with the windshield down. The law is
very clear on this.

Old February 4th 05, 08:46 PM
Mike Romain

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> > I drive with my Civilian Jeep's windshield down along our
> > California coast highway, where the speed limit is twenty five. Any
> > speed faster is very uncomfortable, many times worst than a motorcycle.

> It is illegal in California to drive with the windshield down. The law is
> very clear on this.

Really? Too bad, it is a blast!

Up here in Ontario Canada, the law says you have to have a working wiper
and no obstructions..... Don't say crap about having glass there....

I have had her up to about 50 mph on a beer run from a trail camp. That
was fast enough, the front end just whips the wind at you.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old February 4th 05, 09:39 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jeff,
California law says: "shall be equipped with an adequate
windshield." It doesn't say anything about it having to be in the up
position: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26700.htm I have been
ticketed for leaving the windshield back at camp, though.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 07:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 03:22 PM