Hood insulation / engine heat thinking

Old February 1st 05, 04:02 AM
gmccx

Default Hood insulation / engine heat thinking

I own a 95 black (pearl) Del Sol. Over time, the combination of engine
heat and (probably) heat from the sun in the summer combined to sort of
'burn' a light-ish section of the hood exterior. (the area was in a bit
of a circle and looked like a dirty silver)

I have recently had most of the car (including the hood) repainted and
I'd like to avoid that happening again in a few years.

Has anyone ever heard of, or done, something like putting some of the
sort of insulation used under car hoods inside a Del Sol or Civic?
The only down side I could think of would be the possibility of trapping
engine heat in such a way that the engine would be hurt. That would not
be a good trade off.

--

George

http://people.delphiforums.com/gmcc
Old February 1st 05, 01:03 PM
Mista Bone

not the engine heat, likley smeone got aggressive at one time with a buffer,
then the paint broke down faster than surrounding arears.

Old February 1st 05, 01:51 PM
Dan Beaton

Hi George,
I can't imagine a problem with trapping heat from adding insulation to
the hood. It's airflow that counts for cooling.

I doubt you will find an insulation kit; the Del Sol is just too rare.
However, you should have too mcuh trouble finding the material. Do
a Google search for "hood insulation" and you will get many hits. If
there is a shop in your area that does restorations, they would be a
good source too. You may have to glue the pad on; make sure to get the
correct adhesive and follow the directions. You don't want the pad to
fall onto the engine on a hot day!

As a side benfit, the car will be a little quieter.

Good lcuk,
Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

Old February 4th 05, 02:23 AM
gmccx

That could well be, especially since I originally bought the car used
and so have no way to know what happened to it prior to my owning it. I
guess the main reason I was thinking of engine heat was just because it
was in about the exact right place to have been caused by such.

If it wasn't heat that got it, then I won't need to worry about it
happening again, assuming my new paint is done well enough.