1998 jeep limited 5.2 cranks but will not start

Old August 7th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jeep limited

Default 1998 jeep limited 5.2 cranks but will not start

Hey I know you must get this same question ten times but enduldge me
its my first time here
I have a 1998 that started to buck in midrange and I would have to
floor it to get it to stop I figured it was afuel problem and replaced
the fuel pump with new filters the problem wasz still there but
becomeing worse if I put the car in nutral it would run fine but not in
gear anyway I figured I would tune it up new cap rotor wires ect well
after the tune up I started the jeep it ran for five minutes and died
and now will not start I ordered a new scaner to check out the system
but until it gets here and I do not have an oms tester is there
anything I can check out to get the dam thing started and moved away
from the front door lol thanks ps e mail me at thanks
Tim

Old August 7th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Tim,
It's running in the safe mode. Find out what your fault codes are,
via turning the ignition key until the digital odometer displays, repeat
three times in succession and then back to "On" (On/Off, On/Off, On/Off,
On). At the fourth "On" the odometer will be replaced with codes. If no
codes are present then "Done" will appear:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm I think you'll find you need a
Crank or Cam Position Sensor.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 9th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jeep limited

Hello all I have solved the problem I went out on e bay and bought the
code sensor tester all codes came up clean and returned the done reply
..I then took the lower vacume hose off and sprayed starting fluid and
tried to crank it over still no good .
this showed me that the problem was an electrical issue ,I had an old
accel coil from a camaro anyway I mounted it and changed the wires
from the stock coil to the new one and the jeep fired right up thank
you for all the good words of advise on the board and on my question
without it I would still be scratching my head .but I have to say the
way the coil died was as odd as I have ever seen I have to say God must
have had a hand in keeping me running untill I got home again thanks
to all Tim