1999 grand caravan

Old October 13th 04, 05:25 PM
gizzie

Default 1999 grand caravan

I bought my van 3 yrs ago second hand... It had about
62,000 miles on it... This past week i lost my transmission
it in... it is only 5 yrs old it should hold out longer
than that i would think... I have been trying to find if the 1999 caravan
has a recall on it.. i see that alot of other years have had recalls on
the transmission... I called and they tell me it has a recall for a clock
spring
cause i heard on the news about airs bags and she said mine
was not recalled on it i hope she is right but my airbag
light keeps comming on and beeping all the time please let me know if you
can help me thanks... mtncat53

Old October 14th 04, 01:26 PM
Tony H

"gizzie" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> I bought my van 3 yrs ago second hand... It had about
> 62,000 miles on it... This past week i lost my transmission
> it in... it is only 5 yrs old it should hold out longer
> than that i would think... I have been trying to find if the 1999 caravan
> has a recall on it.. i see that alot of other years have had recalls on
> the transmission... I called and they tell me it has a recall for a clock
> spring
> cause i heard on the news about airs bags and she said mine
> was not recalled on it i hope she is right but my airbag
> light keeps comming on and beeping all the time please let me know if you
> can help me thanks... mtncat53

The clock spring for the Airbag recall is for 98-00 all model Chrysler
minivans (i.e. a 1999 Grand Caravan would apply in this case). I also have
a 99 Gr. Caravan, but it has 120K on it. The tranny went out about 2 months
ago. I had another shop besides the dealer rebuild it, but if I could have
afforded it at the time, I would have taken it to the dealer.

Currently my van is at the dealer for another reason, but I do need to call
them about the Airbag problem, because I have had it whenever the tilt is
used, especially.

Back to the tranny...it seems Chrysler screwed up and made a faulty
transmission that seems to go whenever, but I don't think they want to
recall because they don't have anyway of fixing it. Just make sure that
whomever you go to uses the right fluid (ATF+3). I would also recommend
having a transmission cooler added.

So to sum it up. Call the dealer, arrange to get the clock spring fixed and
see if you can afford to get them to fix the tranny. Also, whomever you
use, ask them first what fluid they use and if the say something besides
ATF+3, then run fast to another shop.

Good Luck,
Tony

Old October 14th 04, 01:26 PM
Tony H

lkaboutautos.com...

Old November 10th 04, 04:43 PM
Zeppo

The right fluid is indeed a real problem. I had a (non-dealer) shop replace
my '98 GC Sport trans at 60K. Over the last 2 years they have replaced it 4
more times at their expense. The last time they acknowledged they had been
using the wrong fluid as their shop manuals said they could. On my
insistence they used ATF+3 the last time. So far (20K miles) so good.

I'm dumping the van soon so I won't have too listen to each shift so closely
waiting for something to happen. :-)

Jon

Old November 10th 04, 04:43 PM
Zeppo

Old November 11th 04, 04:50 AM
Gene Poon

Zeppo wrote:
> The right fluid is indeed a real problem. I had a (non-dealer) shop replace
> my '98 GC Sport trans at 60K. Over the last 2 years they have replaced it 4
> more times at their expense. The last time they acknowledged they had been
> using the wrong fluid as their shop manuals said they could. On my
> insistence they used ATF+3 the last time. So far (20K miles) so good.

So there's a lesson. ASK the shop what transmission fluid they will be
using when servicing your Chrysler 4-speed automatic. If they don't
know, or if they say "DEXRON," you know to go somewhere else, as that
shop does not know what they are doing with these vehicles.

Many of them think "if it's good in a Chevrolet it's good in anything."

-GP
Old November 11th 04, 04:50 AM
Gene Poon