92 Caravan O2 sensor

Old July 8th 04, 03:30 AM
ma

Default 92 Caravan O2 sensor

Hi there.

Two questions, I thank you for answer to both, one or the other.

1- What does 1 volt output from O2 sensor mean to computer?
Another way of asking would be: What is the optimum O2 sensor
output voltage for optimum gas mileage? About 104,000 mikes & counting.

2- Is changing MAP sensor difficult for a person with trouble shooting
& good mechanical aptitude?

I get about 10 miles/gallon! O2 sensor is about 3 years old.
MAP sensor is the original.
Transmission not smooth.
Some oil consumption.

Thanks

Old July 9th 04, 01:59 PM
Circuit Breaker

ma wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> Two questions, I thank you for answer to both, one or the other.
>
> 1- What does 1 volt output from O2 sensor mean to computer?
> Another way of asking would be: What is the optimum O2 sensor
> output voltage for optimum gas mileage? About 104,000 mikes & counting.

My book is for a 1990 "Front Wheel Drive Car", not a 1992 van, but since
the engines really aren't that different, it should work fine. However,
all it said about the O2 in regards to voltage is that a lower voltage is
a leaner mixture and a higher voltage is a richer mixture (lower lean,
raised rich)... it doesn't say what's optimal though. You don't own a
DRB-II by any chance, do you?

On to question #2:
> 2- Is changing MAP sensor difficult for a person with trouble shooting
> & good mechanical aptitude?

If you have to ask, then you haven't bothered to look for it. If you have
a 3.0L, it's easier than removing the air filter box. Seriously, it is.
Two screws, a vacuum tube, and a 3-prong elect. connector. On other cars,
it's probably very similarly easy. Check the vacuum routing under the
hood -- it will not be an inch-for-inch picture, but will give you an idea
of which hose leads to the MAP sensor.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, THOUGH:
Check for fault codes. If you're getting really horrid mileage,
something's wrong, and there's a chance your SMEC knows about it. If you
don't know how to pull codes, cycle the key on-off-on-off-on within 5
seconds and watch your check-engine lamp. It will flash a number of
times, then pause, then flash a number of times again, then give a longer
pause. The first number of flashes is the first digit of the first
2-digit number, and the second number of flashes is the second digit of
the first 2-digit number.

Then again, I'm not sure this trick works on a '92, but I don't see why
not. I think it was 94 when it quit working.

Finally, do a tuneup. Check your idle RPM, check your spark plugs, check
your plug wires, check your timing, check pretty much anything you can get
your hands on under the hood. There's a reason for the bad mileage. If
it's the O2 or MAP sensor, you'll probably have a fault code stored in the
computer for it. Otherwise, it's something there is no sensor for. Look
around.

HIH
CJ
--
THIS POST ORIGINATED FROM USENET, *NOT* ANY WEB-BASED FORUM! IF YOU ARE READING
IT FROM A WEB BROWSER SUCH AS INTERNET EXPLORER OR NETSCAPE, THEN YOU ARE NOT

Old July 9th 04, 01:59 PM
Circuit Breaker

Old July 9th 04, 03:07 PM
Timo Wildschut

The key on-off-on-off-on works on a 92 caravan (have one myself). Pull
the codes and post them here, that should give us a clue for your problem.

Timo

Old July 9th 04, 03:07 PM
Timo Wildschut

Old July 11th 04, 06:54 PM
ma

Thanks everyone for replying.
I know how to do "ignition key code", but mine doesn't work
(just take my word for it).
I am going to check the map sensor (now that I know it is easy),
and fake a one volt output from the O2 sensor for a while.
If the two above improve gas mileage, then I'll change O2 sensor.
And, of course, I'll do a few tune-up stuff, and live with the results.
After all, this baby is going to celebrate her 12th birthday in Aug.
In car age, that is like 92 for me?

Mike

news

Old July 11th 04, 06:54 PM
ma

Old July 12th 04, 04:09 AM
Wesley

How many miles on your 92? Mine just rolled over 173k...bought it at 84k
almost 7 years ago... Let me know how things turn out, my gas mileage ain't
what it used to be and haven't been able to nail it down (though not as bad
as you describe). Put in a new O2 sensor, but no MAP sensor yet...I got
tired of spending money trying to save a little bit... :-)

Wesley

Old July 12th 04, 04:09 AM
Wesley

Old July 12th 04, 05:14 AM
ma

Right now it reads about 104,000, but I know it is about 1K or 2 less
than what it should be.
I have started a chart that I write down date, mileage, gallons, and $.
This, pretty soon will indicate approx. gas mileage.
If it shows really a high number, I am going to do a lot of tuning.
Whatever it takes.
Mike

"Wesley" > wrote in message
> [...]

> get
> > > your hands on under the hood. There's a reason for the bad mileage.

If
> > > it's the O2 or MAP sensor, you'll probably have a fault code stored in

> the
> > > computer for it. Otherwise, it's something there is no sensor for.

> Look
> > > around.
> > >
> > > HIH
> > > CJ
> > > --
> > > THIS POST ORIGINATED FROM USENET, *NOT* ANY WEB-BASED FORUM! IF YOU

ARE
> > READING
> > > IT FROM A WEB BROWSER SUCH AS INTERNET EXPLORER OR NETSCAPE, THEN YOU

> ARE
> > NOT
> > > READING THE ORIGINAL POST AND YOU SHOULD LEARN ABOUT "USENET" FROM

Other Sensor Problem? - WAS: Rain Sensor Help needed please. RichieP BMW 0 January 7th 05 01:02 AM
cat bad? John E. Yurkon BMW 7 November 17th 04 09:51 AM
Climatronic Diagnostic Controls Luís Lourenço Audi 1 November 12th 04 08:22 AM
94 Audi 100 S "Check ECS" light mpradeep Audi 2 June 20th 04 10:16 PM
A4 1.8T -2000 & MAF sensor J.P. Audi 0 May 20th 04 05:50 PM