Mustangs Unlimited ROCKS!!! (and "the plan" for the '68 coupe)

Old July 23rd 05, 10:48 PM
Thomas Cameron

Default Mustangs Unlimited ROCKS!!! (and "the plan" for the '68 coupe)

I wanted to thank everyone who answered my questions about the Grab-a-Trak
stuff from Mustangs Unlimited.

I wound up buying:

1) Grab-a-Trak Spring and Handling kit (upgraded to the 1-1/8" sway bar
and 5-leaf mid-eye rear springs) (http://tinyurl.com/8ro4t)

2) Grab-a-Trak performance suspension rebuild kit
(http://tinyurl.com/a94ra)

3) Make-it-New Steering Rebuild Kit (http://tinyurl.com/d4w65)

4) 4-Piston Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit (http://tinyurl.com/cakg2)

I talked to Carl at Mustangs Unlimited, and he was awesome to work
with. He actually talked me *out* of some more expensive brake stuff I
wanted, and urged me to have my mechanic call him directly when doing the
brake conversion so he could talk about some of the common gotchas.

So the plan is to pull the motor and tranny, put the car up on the lift
and pull the entire suspension out, sand/wire brush and POR-15 the
underside and engine bay, then put in the 351W and all new suspension
bits in.

The car should be a serious beast when all is said and done... I can't
wait to get into it!

The only bummer is that the blower is really out of my budget now. I've
spent so much more than I expected that the extra $2500 is just not
feasible right now. I guess that will be next year's project! :-)

Cheers,
Thomas
Old July 24th 05, 02:25 AM
Alias

Right on Thomas. Sounds like 'you done good'. While the motor I put in
my 67 is made for boost, I am putting of the blower until later when I
can afford it. For us 'po' folk, we have to do these things in stages.
8)

Take care,

Alias

Old July 24th 05, 03:18 AM
Spike

Ride on! Sounds like you have things well in control.

While you are rebuilding the suspension, if you have the bucks (under
$100), I would suggest you also look into the Vario Centric Camber
kit. The 65/66 can be a bear to align with the shims, and I've already
run into mechanics who complain about that and the tight space they
have to reach into. The VCC kit eliminates the need for shims. But it
has to be welded in. Mine comes from Mustangs Plus (who I also highly
recommend as good people to talk to), but MU should also have it.
Most of Mustangs Plus stuff is also Grab-A-Trak.

I also went with the Negative Wedge kit to lower the nose (Shelby
Drop) which helps with handling. Along with that goes the Bump Steer
kit. Also, I had everything converted to poly which flexes less than
the original rubber type bushings, etc. adding to the stability.

Next, I need to add a rear anti-sway in 7/8" from PST (www.p-s-t.com)
and weld on subframe connectors. Gotta wait until the 1st of the month
for both of those.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:48:05 GMT, Thomas Cameron
> wrote:

>I wanted to thank everyone who answered my questions about the Grab-a-Trak
>stuff from Mustangs Unlimited.
>
>I wound up buying:
>
>1) Grab-a-Trak Spring and Handling kit (upgraded to the 1-1/8" sway bar
>and 5-leaf mid-eye rear springs) (http://tinyurl.com/8ro4t)
>
>2) Grab-a-Trak performance suspension rebuild kit
>(http://tinyurl.com/a94ra)
>
>3) Make-it-New Steering Rebuild Kit (http://tinyurl.com/d4w65)
>
>4) 4-Piston Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit (http://tinyurl.com/cakg2)
>
>I talked to Carl at Mustangs Unlimited, and he was awesome to work
>with. He actually talked me *out* of some more expensive brake stuff I
>wanted, and urged me to have my mechanic call him directly when doing the
>brake conversion so he could talk about some of the common gotchas.
>
>So the plan is to pull the motor and tranny, put the car up on the lift
>and pull the entire suspension out, sand/wire brush and POR-15 the
>underside and engine bay, then put in the 351W and all new suspension
>bits in.
>
>The car should be a serious beast when all is said and done... I can't
>wait to get into it!
>
>The only bummer is that the blower is really out of my budget now. I've
>spent so much more than I expected that the extra $2500 is just not
>feasible right now. I guess that will be next year's project! :-)
>
>Cheers,
>Thomas

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Address
Old July 25th 05, 08:46 PM
Thomas Cameron

Alias wrote:
> Right on Thomas. Sounds like 'you done good'. While the motor I put in
> my 67 is made for boost, I am putting of the blower until later when I
> can afford it. For us 'po' folk, we have to do these things in stages.
> 8)
>
> Take care,
>
> Alias

Well, since this engine has hypereutectic pistons running only 8.8:1
compression, I am pretty sure that I could go with a bit of boost, as
well. I *really* want to put a Ford Racing blower onto this engine
(http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=2032),
but that will not be cheap. I am pretty much at the end of the budget
at this point, so I need to take it easy.

Thomas

Old July 25th 05, 09:27 PM

That's a great selection of stuff. You should be happy with the
results.

Why are all the links to Mustangs Plus?

I would use rubber bushings on the strut rods. Poly has been known to
cause strut failure.

I would do the Shelby Drop while you're at it. Templates are available
at Tony Branda's web site. You don't need a negative wedge kit for a
1" drop, so it's basically a free mod.

You also don't need the camber kit; '67's and up already use an
eccentric on the LCA to adjust camber.

An 8.8:1 engine can certainly handle boost. You actually would not
want to go much lower, or with a centrifugal blower you'd have no
bottom end at all.

Have fun!

Old July 25th 05, 10:15 PM
Spike

LOL.... I didn't catch that... cheers for Mustangs Unlimited and links
to Mustangs Plus.

For me, Mustangs Plus is "sorta" just down the road.... about 5 hours.
There are places closer... like in Sacramento which are good, too. I
got started with MP.

I wasn't aware Branda had the template. For me, if I had stayed with
stock wheels, I could have done the drop with springs alone. But when
i bought the Vintage 40 wheels, Vintage Wheel Works said I'd need a
negative wedge kit for the 16" wheels. They didn't specify anyone in
particular to go to for it. And I had already had some positive
contacts with MP.

Whenever possible, I generally buy from vendors who don't tack on the
7.75% Calif tax. And I shop for the best price anyway. MP doesn't
always have the best price. And a number of them can beat the prices
here in California even with S&H. The ones I use mainly are MP,
MUnlimited, National Parts Depot, Sacramento Mustang, Ford Racing,
California Mustang, and one other... Mustang Deport maybe. Quite
often, I go directly to the manufacturer. There prices tend to be
slightly lower. Like I got a really good deal on the Custom AutoSound
components, and the 3 point belts. I used PST for the rebuild of the
front end on the 66 FB I sold to get this one. I was very happy with
their parts.

As for the Camber kit... I know my 65 could use it. And there are two
kits, one for 65/66 and one for later (67/68?) as I recall. I'd have
to look it up to verify the years. There is a difference between the
two kits, but I didn't pay attention since the other one didn't apply
to my car.

The kits I got already had the polys, but which parts might not have
been, I am not sure. Overall though, poly seems the way to go.
Do you recall how it led to strut failure? Heavy loading, or???? Or
where I can read the information? TIA

Old July 25th 05, 10:43 PM
Thomas Cameron

Well, the Mustangs Plus vs. Mustangs Unlimited thing is 'cause I'm a
dope - I meant Mustangs Plus. I had been looking at Mustangs Unlimited
and it got stuck in my head. I chose Mustangs Plus over Mustangs
Unlimited... Now I feel like an idjit squared. <sigh>

I was thinking about the Shelby drop but the springs I am getting
already drop the front end by an inch. I want to make sure that I'm
not going too low - remember that this will be my daily driver, so I
don't want to go too crazy.

As far as boost goes - that will likely wind up being next year's
project.

Thomas

Old July 25th 05, 10:52 PM
Thomas Cameron

Argh - I just plain screwed up. The folks I bought from are Mustangs
Plus. I chose them over the others. Sorry for the confusion. I feel
like a dope.

I posted a correction, too. <sigh>

Here I thought I was helping out Mustangs Plus and I screwed up.

Thomas

Old July 25th 05, 11:45 PM
Alias

Before I started spending mad money on the suspension, I did a 1" spring
drop. It's not going to bottom out on speed bumps, so I wouldn't worry.

Enjoy your new handling prowess!

Old July 25th 05, 11:45 PM
Spike

On 25 Jul 2005 15:01:13 -0700, wrote:

>The Shelby drop does not lower the car by more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
>Check photos of some gennie '65 GT350's, which re-used the factory GT
>coil springs with a one inch control arm drop. Some even retain the
>nose-up look of the stock '65.

The neg wedge is 1.75". which, on my 16" wheels, is close but not
excessive. And the nose in the air stock stance reduced how much it
appears to drop. I think it actually looks closer to level than nose
down. I do need to replace the coils on mine. They looked ok when the
front was rebuilt, but the driver side, which is normal, sits just a
shade too low for my taste, without me in it. So, I'll go ahead and
put in a new set of stockers, along with new seats and isolators.

>The warning about strut breakage from poly bushings has been "received
>wisdom" for years. I recall seeing a story in the Vintage Mustang Forum
>within the past few months, about a '69 that had this happen and the
>driver lost control and crashed. What it's about is that, if the
>"give" in the bushings is less than the "give" in the strut, then the
>strut will bend first when the suspension moves. Over time this will
>weaken the strut, just like if you bend a paper clip back and forth
>until it breaks. Your mileage may vary, and this may just be urban
>legend, but given that the rubber bushings perform well enough it's a
>risk you may not want to take.

That's the first I had heard on it. As for the kit, that part may not
have been changed. I can't sure until I crawl under and look. A you
say, it may be urban legend. Like the gas tank thing. True, fires have
resulted from rear end collision, but according to everything I've
read, they were the exception, not the rule. Still, companies are
using it as a selling point for steel plates... which may be a good
idea anyway, but not necessarily a required one. Guess I will, if they
are polys, just add it to my routine checklist, just to be on the safe
side.

Every now and then, information comes through the NG that I can
actually apply to my own car, and that's cool. Still, a lot of other
info that applies to other years which I can still use.

Anyways.... Tanks! I'm tankful for the nfo. : )