Looking hard at a 1996 750iL, got some questions

Old March 28th 05, 12:58 AM

Default Looking hard at a 1996 750iL, got some questions

Howdy Ya'll,

I stumbled across the above in a smallish town in TX that no longer
has a BMW dealer and have fallen for this car big time.

I've been on several forums and read some of the horror stories about
these cars, the cost of maintenance, etc, etc. but have some questions
I'd like to pose here. The car seems fundamentally sound and drives
very well but has some glitchy stuff. A good friend here works at
Honda, but was previously the factory certified Master BMW mechanic
for the dealer before they closed (wouldn't consider the car if this
guy wasn't around).

Naturally I'll ask my guy about this stuff, but would really like
feedback from ya'll as well. Here are my questions:

- The CD player works and sounds okay, but the radio doesn't make any
sound regardless of band (shows to be scanning, recieving stereo, etc.
but no sound). Amp must be working if CD plays, yes ?

- The roof behaves oddly - won't slide open but goes to vent position.

- It's got the weak pixel problem but have read a fix on a forum for
that....just wondering if it really works ? (Consists of taking it
apart and spraying with electronic cleaner). Naturally has the broken
drink holder, but not a big deal to me on this car.

- The car is black/black. Paint & leather are pretty good to very good
condition. The paint has that haze that comes from being in the sun
too much. Will it polish out or will I need new paint ? The plastic
lenses show their age from too much UV as well. Also, I see a little
moisture inside one of the rear tail lenses. Fabric stuff on the rear
deck is badly faded, and some of the finish on the wood up front has
small cracks in it. I guess these can be treated/fixed for a price.

- Were the factory phones worth a flip ? Are they worth activating ?

- The suspension seems very firm and okay I guess. How can I tell if
its functioning properly ?

- My gut tells me that the last owner didn't get regular service on
this car....just drove it/sold it. Hopefully he changed the oil
occasionally and maybe checked fluids. The seller is a wholesaler who
is upside down and has to sell it. I can buy it way below book and am
willing to take a chance if noone completely blows me out of the water
on here and my mechanic buddy doesn't scare me off.

I looked at this thing for a week before I even unlocked it, and I
tell ya, I NEVER shoulda driven this car for the same reason I stay
outta high-dollar strip joints.....I want to be happy with what I've
got at home !

THANKS !!!

Lobo

Former 2002/320i/325 owner.

Old March 31st 05, 02:31 AM
zz

plan on 3-5k on dealer repairs
2k cat converters
400 for pixel issue
600 radio
1000 sunroof
1500 tuneup oil, brakes?????

> wrote in message
> Howdy Ya'll,
>
> I stumbled across the above in a smallish town in TX that no longer
> has a BMW dealer and have fallen for this car big time.
>
> I've been on several forums and read some of the horror stories about
> these cars, the cost of maintenance, etc, etc. but have some questions
> I'd like to pose here. The car seems fundamentally sound and drives
> very well but has some glitchy stuff. A good friend here works at
> Honda, but was previously the factory certified Master BMW mechanic
> for the dealer before they closed (wouldn't consider the car if this
> guy wasn't around).
>
> Naturally I'll ask my guy about this stuff, but would really like
> feedback from ya'll as well. Here are my questions:
>
> - The CD player works and sounds okay, but the radio doesn't make any
> sound regardless of band (shows to be scanning, recieving stereo, etc.
> but no sound). Amp must be working if CD plays, yes ?
>
> - The roof behaves oddly - won't slide open but goes to vent position.
>
> - It's got the weak pixel problem but have read a fix on a forum for
> that....just wondering if it really works ? (Consists of taking it
> apart and spraying with electronic cleaner). Naturally has the broken
> drink holder, but not a big deal to me on this car.
>
> - The car is black/black. Paint & leather are pretty good to very good
> condition. The paint has that haze that comes from being in the sun
> too much. Will it polish out or will I need new paint ? The plastic
> lenses show their age from too much UV as well. Also, I see a little
> moisture inside one of the rear tail lenses. Fabric stuff on the rear
> deck is badly faded, and some of the finish on the wood up front has
> small cracks in it. I guess these can be treated/fixed for a price.
>
> - Were the factory phones worth a flip ? Are they worth activating ?
>
> - The suspension seems very firm and okay I guess. How can I tell if
> its functioning properly ?
>
> - My gut tells me that the last owner didn't get regular service on
> this car....just drove it/sold it. Hopefully he changed the oil
> occasionally and maybe checked fluids. The seller is a wholesaler who
> is upside down and has to sell it. I can buy it way below book and am
> willing to take a chance if noone completely blows me out of the water
> on here and my mechanic buddy doesn't scare me off.
>
> I looked at this thing for a week before I even unlocked it, and I
> tell ya, I NEVER shoulda driven this car for the same reason I stay
> outta high-dollar strip joints.....I want to be happy with what I've
> got at home !
>
> THANKS !!!
>
> Lobo
>
> Former 2002/320i/325 owner.

Questions, questions, questions Vernon Balbert BMW 15 January 16th 05 03:01 AM
switching hard dog rollbars pws Mazda 0 November 18th 04 11:03 PM
1996 Cherokee new owner--a couple dumb questions screwem 4x4 0 July 11th 04 01:27 PM
FS: 1996 U.D. Jeff Gordon "Magic Memories" 5x7 Mail-In Card J.R. Sinclair General 0 June 22nd 04 06:08 AM