What does BMW stand for?

Old December 1st 04, 04:29 PM
Anand Vardhan Kanoria

BMW is Bayarische Motoren Werke which is Bavarian Motor Works in English.

Old December 1st 04, 04:44 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Anand Vardhan Kanoria > wrote:
> BMW is Bayarische Motoren Werke which is Bavarian Motor Works in

^^^^^^^^^^

From: Somebody >
Subject: What does BMW stand for?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:40
Newsgroups: alt.autos.bmw

> Bayerische Motoren Werk.

^^^^^^^^^^

From: pltrgyst >
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:40
Newsgroups: alt.autos.bmw

> Bayerischen Motoren Werke Gmb

^^^^^^^^^^^

Someone somewhere must be right....

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 1st 04, 06:23 PM
Robert La Ferla

Bayerischen Motoren Werke GmbH is the correct name. It started out as
Bayerischen Flugzeug-Werke and thus the airplane propeller in the logo.
In English, BMW is Bavarian Motor Works. Bavaria being the southern
part of Germany with beautiful alps which borders Austria, Switzerland
and Italy.

Here is the definitive source:
http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index....ensteine.shtml

Old December 1st 04, 07:27 PM
Ramone Cila

"Milwana" > wrote in message
> Lets not forget Bob Marley and the Wailers This man once owned a 2002 I
> understand he use to park his Bimmer

Anyone here get BMW's quarterly mag "BMW Magazine". If so, look at the
article on Julie Foudy...in it they are talking about the two BMW's she owns
and BMW's own corporate mag refers to the cars as "Beemers".

I've always, like most others I suppose, call the cars Bimmers and the bikes
Beemers. Apparently BMW Group disagrees with my usage :^)

Old December 1st 04, 08:27 PM
Fred W

Ramone Cila wrote:
> "Matt O'Toole" > wrote in message
>
>>Somebody wrote:

>>>Bayerische Motoren Werk.
>>>
>>>Bavarian Motor Works, in English.

>>Yup, it started as an aircraft motor company. The logo is actually a

> stylized
>
>>propeller.

> OK, what does EMW stand for and what was their logo?
>
> I'll bet Burns knows without looking :^)

Hmmmm....

you must be referrring to Eisenacher Motoren Werk? Logo was a compass
rose (the 4 pointed star used on maps to indicate N/S/E/W)

-Fred W
Old December 1st 04, 09:33 PM
Fred W

Ramone Cila wrote:
> "Milwana" > wrote in message
>
>>Lets not forget Bob Marley and the Wailers This man once owned a 2002 I
>>understand he use to park his Bimmer

> Anyone here get BMW's quarterly mag "BMW Magazine". If so, look at the
> article on Julie Foudy...in it they are talking about the two BMW's she owns
> and BMW's own corporate mag refers to the cars as "Beemers".
>
> I've always, like most others I suppose, call the cars Bimmers and the bikes
> Beemers. Apparently BMW Group disagrees with my usage :^)

Probably a problem in translation...

;-)

-Fred W
Old December 1st 04, 10:54 PM
Ramone Cila

"Fred W" > wrote in message

> Hmmmm....
>
> you must be referrring to Eisenacher Motoren Werk? Logo was a compass
> rose (the 4 pointed star used on maps to indicate N/S/E/W)

Yeah, some BMW mag, don't recall the name of it right now, recently did a 2
or 3 issue story on the history of BMW. I had never known before reading
that, that after the war the BMW plant at Eisencher (lost because it was in
old East Germany), now under Soviet control, continued building cars under
the EMW name and a modified BMW propeller (for a while they actually used
the BMW name and logo, until lawsuits put an end that). Rather interesting
part of BMW's history I had zero idea of..

Old December 1st 04, 11:41 PM
Fred

Bloody Money Waster

Old December 2nd 04, 03:44 AM
Endocrine

pete wrote:

> I know what they letters BMW stand for colloquially but could some
> body tell me the actual meaning of the letters. Is it Bremen
> Motorwerken or something similar please?
> pete

This from the FIA:

Button Must Wait.
Old December 2nd 04, 06:41 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Eisenach...(not Eisencher)

You might not know that many German companies, well-known or otherwise, fled
the Soviet-occupied east after 1945, often leaving behind their physical
assets. A couple that spring to mind are
- Agfa (photographic equipment and film), whose old site continued under the
name Orwo,
- and Zeiss (optical products), which became Zeiss-Ikon in West Germany and
in East Germany Carl Zeiss Jena (Jena being the town in which it was based).

In my field I deal with a small engineering company that was founded in
Dresden in 1902. The family left after WW2 and restarted in Coburg, West
Germany.

DAS
---