EGR and Transmission Troubles...

Old April 22nd 07, 10:40 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Tom Rogers[_2_]

Default EGR and Transmission Troubles...

2005 Dodge Caravan has 93k miles, has Check Engine code of P0404 (EGR).

Would this cause the vehicle to run rough when trying to maintain a constant
speed? The vehicle seems to "lurch forward" or "buck" alot, but not when
accelerating, only when maintaining a constant speed, and not while
coasting.

Also, when I get into the vehicle, I shift into Reverse and I hear a clunk,
shift into drive and I hear a clunk. But while driving the car, the gear
shifts are very smooth. CV joint(s) or Transmission? And if Transmission,
what in the Transmission would this be.

Just would like to have this info to tell the dealer when I take it in for
service.

Thanx VERY much for any help/advice.

-Tom Rogers

Old April 22nd 07, 11:05 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:40:34 -0400, "Tom Rogers"
> wrote:

>2005 Dodge Caravan has 93k miles, has Check Engine code of P0404 (EGR).
>
>Would this cause the vehicle to run rough when trying to maintain a constant
>speed? The vehicle seems to "lurch forward" or "buck" alot, but not when
>accelerating, only when maintaining a constant speed, and not while
>coasting.
>
>Also, when I get into the vehicle, I shift into Reverse and I hear a clunk,
>shift into drive and I hear a clunk. But while driving the car, the gear
>shifts are very smooth. CV joint(s) or Transmission? And if Transmission,
>what in the Transmission would this be.
>
>Just would like to have this info to tell the dealer when I take it in for
>service.
>
>Thanx VERY much for any help/advice.
>
>-Tom Rogers

The EGR can cause rough running, but usually only if stuck on - which
is VERY rare. Usually the modulator goes south. However, On my
daughter's Neon, it was a cracked hose - and that DID cause some
roughness at idle, as well as turning on the CEL with an "insufficient
EGR flow" code. It was the vacuum line from the modulator to the EGR
diaphragm. It had been a problem for several months before I got to
it, and by that time the orfice on thetio of the diaphragm unit (where
the vac hose fit) was plugged with a bit of rust- so I just scratched
it off. With a new hose, the problem was GONE.

Old April 24th 07, 09:52 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
truckdriver

On Apr 22, 6:05 pm, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:40:34 -0400, "Tom Rogers"
>

> > wrote:
> >2005 Dodge Caravan has 93k miles, has Check Engine code of P0404 (EGR).

> >Would this cause the vehicle to run rough when trying to maintain a constant
> >speed? The vehicle seems to "lurch forward" or "buck" alot, but not when
> >accelerating, only when maintaining a constant speed, and not while
> >coasting.

> >Also, when I get into the vehicle, I shift into Reverse and I hear a clunk,
> >shift into drive and I hear a clunk. But while driving the car, the gear
> >shifts are very smooth. CV joint(s) or Transmission? And if Transmission,
> >what in the Transmission would this be.

> >Just would like to have this info to tell the dealer when I take it in for
> >service.

> >Thanx VERY much for any help/advice.

> >-Tom Rogers

> The EGR can cause rough running, but usually only if stuck on - which
> is VERY rare. Usually the modulator goes south. However, On my
> daughter's Neon, it was a cracked hose - and that DID cause some
> roughness at idle, as well as turning on the CEL with an "insufficient
> EGR flow" code. It was the vacuum line from the modulator to the EGR
> diaphragm. It had been a problem for several months before I got to
> it, and by that time the orfice on thetio of the diaphragm unit (where
> the vac hose fit) was plugged with a bit of rust- so I just scratched
> it off. With a new hose, the problem was GONE.

i had the same problem on my neon and the egr valve was stuck open and
caused it to buck and run rought change the egr and the electrical

Old June 5th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
mikesfabrication

Change your throtle position sensor (TPS) I think you will be happy with
a repair of under 50bucks and 10 minutes work. Good luck!

--
mikesfabrication
mikesfabrication's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=516627

http://www.automotiveforums.com