anti Touareg sentiment

Old September 24th 04, 03:26 AM
D. Dub

0-60 in 9 sec. in a car that also gets 65 MPG (Cdn) gets my heart racing.

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message

> >Umm the TDI is not a slug.

> 0-60 in 9.0 + seconds from a compact car isn't sluggish to you? The 1.8T

Jetta
> gets very good gas mileage and is capable of 0-60 in 7.1 seconds with a

stick.
> The TDi may be "useable", it's certainly not any slower than the average

SUV.

Old September 24th 04, 03:45 AM
Nate Nagel

Compared to a 1.8T it is Of course compared to a 1.8T a lot of nice
cars are somewhat slug-like...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Old September 24th 04, 04:14 AM
Rob Guenther

I'd love to get 9 seconds from my Diesel... ive got the old 4 speed
automatic TDI - I probably just break the 10 seconds (ie under 11 but more
then 10) with my PSI tuning box.

They are not good in a straightline, but they will pull relentlessly right
up to top speed, they're not any worse to drive then the 2.0L - better at
over 120kph I think - and you don't have to downshift all the time when you
want to pass.

Old September 24th 04, 05:29 AM
Steve Grauman

>0-60 in 9 sec. in a car that also gets 65 MPG (Cdn) gets my heart racing.

There's certainly something said for economy, but that's a little ridiculous.
The Toureag TDi V10 is amazing, great gas mileage, awesome torque and 0-60 in
under 8 seconds. But it's also $55k. And no other Deisel I know of can match
it's performance.
Steve Grauman
Old September 24th 04, 12:37 PM
Craig Faison

On 23 Sep 2004, Steve Grauman wrote:

> Don't feel bad, the 1.8T and 2.0 actually get more or less identicle gas
> mileage, that's one of the reasons the 1.8T is such a great engine. Only the
> TDi would've been more fuel effcient, and it's understandable why you wouldn't
> want that slug to drive everyday.

Don't worry, I don't feel bad... ;-)

And FWIW, I would have preferred a TDI, but my wife really wanted the
1.8t/5spd. I was driving an A2 diesel jetta at the time, so the TDI felt
like a ferrari in comparison.

Craig

Old September 24th 04, 05:07 PM
Tony Bad

"JH" > wrote in message
. com...

> 0-60 times are only a big deal to young guys that read lots of car buff
> magazines, but have actually owned few vehicles and have limited driving
> experience.
>
> Lots of talk...little connection to real world driving.

I agree. When I read magazines, I am amused by some comments that the writers
make. They bitch about poor 0-60 times in a pick-up or mini-van. Acceleration
times should be an issue in a sports car, or even a sports sedan...but what
relevance is there in big luxury cars, economy cars, or utilitarian vehicles
like vans.

> Having owned several diesel cars myself and driven thousands of miles in
> them, including the Sierra Nevada and Rockie mountains during ski trips,
> the power of a diesel is "enough" if you're a good smart driver, that
> anticipates traffic conditions and thinks ahead.

The only issue I had when I hit the big mountains out west, was that the engine
got HOT going up those big old mountains, and cooked some already near death
glow plugs. It was a good thing I stayed on top of a hill that night, as I
needed a good downhill coast to get the car fired up on a cold day with no glow
plugs! (1 or 2 may have still been working)

--
Tony Bad

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Old September 24th 04, 05:19 PM
Pete LaFlamme

I leased one for myself. Then I made the mistake of letting my wife drive
it.

So I went out and purchased a new 2003 GLX Jetta for me, now we are both
happy.

I get positive comments all of the time on the Touareg, it is a very nice
vehicle, absolutely no complaints in the year we have driven it.

If you read the messages at this site I don't think many of the posters are
in a position to acquire a $40,000+ vehicle.....yet.

Old September 24th 04, 05:32 PM
JH

Pete LaFlamme wrote:
> I leased one for myself

> If you read the messages at this site I don't think many of the posters are
> in a position to acquire a $40,000+ vehicle.....yet.

LOL

Does anyone else see the extreme humor in those lines.

"leased one"

The classic way the auto industry gets folks you can't really afford a
vehicle into it...

Sorta like "rent to own"

Amazing how many $40,000+ vehicles are parked outside cheap rental
housing...

P.S. Pete, you don't have a clue about each posters real financial
situation here...but you certainly gave some clues to yours...

Old September 24th 04, 05:41 PM
JH

Tony Bad wrote:

> The only issue I had when I hit the big mountains out west, was that the engine
> got HOT going up those big old mountains, and cooked some already near death
> glow plugs.

We've had a few (expected) issues with diesels in the COLD mountains.

Once had an auxillary Racor fuel filter located too far from engine
heat, and it got so cold the diesel fuel "jelled" in it. Had to be
by-passed along side the road to get the car running again.

And once got so cold in Jackson Hole, WY, we had to leave the diesel
running all night to have any hope of getting it started the next
morning without extreme efforts. The locals all had some sort of
auxillary heaters for their diesel...we didn't coming from a generally
warm climate area.

The key to driving a diesel fast in the mountains, was trying to
maintain momentum. Actually, far more challenging and fun than just
mashing a gas pedal.
Old September 24th 04, 05:48 PM
Tony Bad

"JH" > wrote in message
. ..
> Pete LaFlamme wrote:
> > I leased one for myself

> > If you read the messages at this site I don't think many of the posters are
> > in a position to acquire a $40,000+ vehicle.....yet.

> LOL
>
> Does anyone else see the extreme humor in those lines.
>
> "leased one"
>
> The classic way the auto industry gets folks you can't really afford a
> vehicle into it...
>
> Sorta like "rent to own"
>
> Amazing how many $40,000+ vehicles are parked outside cheap rental
> housing...

There is quite a bit of irony in Pete's post. I always thought of leasing the
way JH indicates. It allows you to drive a car you really can't afford to own.
Not a bad deal, but it means you are fowever making payments. Most modern cars
will go a minimum of 100,000 miles with few issues if properly maintained. That
means after the payments stop, I have 4 or 5 years free from that burden. I like
that.

If one does a google search, I came up with one offer of $0 down, and $439 a
month. Not too bad, especially if someone lives at home with mom and dad. I see
plenty of young people in my area driving fancy cars. They probably have few or
no other financial obligations, and sink most of their money in a car.

Hey, I bought a 79 Rabbit with my life savings in 1979, the year I finished high
school...so I understand the pursuit of luxury! (;^P) Of course, I didn't have
to give it back after 3 years, and drove it daily for the next 20.