96 Explorer: Elevation change...tuneup needed?

Old December 15th 05, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 96 Explorer: Elevation change...tuneup needed?

1995 Explorer XLT AWD V8 5.0L

I recently moved from South Lake Tahoe, CA (elev. 6200') to Sacramento,
CA (sea level) and I am wondering if there is anything that should be
done to "tune" the engine from high elevation operation to low
elevation? I just ccompleted my first tank of gas down here and I only
got 14 mpg, versus about 16 mpg I got in the mountains, but that could
easily be due to the nature of the driving I am doing now...much more
stop and go, as opposed to very little stop and go and cruising the 9
miles to/from work at 45-50 mph.

Thanks!

Bob
Old December 16th 05, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I bought my '93 Explorer in northern New Mexico (I lived at 7400 ft above
sea level) and it had the "high elevation package" - whatever that is.
Anyways, when I moved to sea level 10 years ago, my gas mileage immediately
dropped 15% on the highway, and has stayed there ever since. I never did
anything about it - I now get about 18 mpg in mixed driving.

I did seem to have a bit more power however.

Tom

Old December 16th 05, 12:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Hello.
I'm not an auto expert, but would like to offer my 2 cents anyway.
I remember my dad's old car had a carburator, and whenever we'd drive to
Colorado for vacation (we live in Houston) he'd have to get it adjusted
for the higher climate. Then, upon return, he'd get it adjusted back to
the way it had been.
This was necessary because of the difference in oxygen at the two
levels, but with modern cars having so much controlled by computer, I
don't know of anything you must do yourself.
Newer mass air sensors compensate for the intake of air, and adjust fuel
accordingly.
I drove my 96 XLT to Colorado several years ago, and experienced the
same thing. My mileage increased significantly when I reached the higher
elevations, and stayed that way until I dropped back to sea level.
Sorry I can't suggest anything to improve the situation, but wanted to
share my similar experience.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us
from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?