96 camaro z28 AC

Old July 5th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
your creator

Default 96 camaro z28 AC

i have a issue with my AC, it's completely charged but its not blowing
out any cold air! any suggestions?

Old July 5th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"your creator" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>i have a issue with my AC, it's completely charged but its not blowing
> out any cold air! any suggestions?

Always check the fuse first. Of course, there are so many different things
that could cause the A/C to be inoperative that we would need a lot more
information in order to offer any meaningful suggestions. Some electrical
diagnostics are probably in order if the system does indeed have a full
charge.
--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Educator

Old July 5th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John Clonts

your creator wrote:
> i have a issue with my AC, it's completely charged but its not blowing
> out any cold air! any suggestions?

Is the compressor turning?

Old July 6th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

"Kevin" > wrote in

> "your creator" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>i have a issue with my AC, it's completely charged but its not blowing
>> out any cold air! any suggestions?
>>

> Always check the fuse first. Of course, there are so many different
> things that could cause the A/C to be inoperative that we would need a
> lot more information in order to offer any meaningful suggestions.
> Some electrical diagnostics are probably in order if the system does
> indeed have a full charge.

Kevin,

I have two questions:
1) What is the coldest temperature a correctly-operating automotive AC
system is capable of achieving?
2) What is the coldest reading such a system would show on a thermometer
pointed at the vent outlets?

--
TeGGeR®

Old July 6th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> "Kevin" > wrote in
>

> > "your creator" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >>i have a issue with my AC, it's completely charged but its not blowing
> >> out any cold air! any suggestions?
> >>

> > Always check the fuse first. Of course, there are so many different
> > things that could cause the A/C to be inoperative that we would need a
> > lot more information in order to offer any meaningful suggestions.
> > Some electrical diagnostics are probably in order if the system does
> > indeed have a full charge.

> Kevin,
>
> I have two questions:
> 1) What is the coldest temperature a correctly-operating automotive AC
> system is capable of achieving?
> 2) What is the coldest reading such a system would show on a thermometer
> pointed at the vent outlets?
>
> --
> TeGGeR®

If I understand your questions properly:

1. If the A/C system is working PROPERLY the surface of the evaporator core
should have an average temperature of a little above freezing. Any colder
than that and ice will form on the fins. So theoretically, the vent
temperature should never be below 32F. In reality, there are too many
variables to specify a correct air outlet temperature. Most manufacturer's
say that 45 F is satisfactory under normal operating conditions. My Ford
Ranger does 35F even when it's 90F outside.

2. Same as No. 2 except the temp at the vents will be a few degrees warmer
than the evap because of heat infiltration.
--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old July 6th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

"Kevin" > wrote in

> "TeGGeR®" > wrote in message

>> Kevin,
>>
>> I have two questions:
>> 1) What is the coldest temperature a correctly-operating automotive
>> AC system is capable of achieving?
>> 2) What is the coldest reading such a system would show on a
>> thermometer pointed at the vent outlets?
>>

> If I understand your questions properly:
>
> 1. If the A/C system is working PROPERLY the surface of the evaporator
> core should have an average temperature of a little above freezing.
> Any colder than that and ice will form on the fins. So theoretically,
> the vent temperature should never be below 32F. In reality, there are
> too many variables to specify a correct air outlet temperature. Most
> manufacturer's say that 45 F is satisfactory under normal operating
> conditions. My Ford Ranger does 35F even when it's 90F outside.
>
> 2. Same as No. 2 except the temp at the vents will be a few degrees
> warmer than the evap because of heat infiltration.

Yes you understood my questions correctly.

And if *I* understand *you* correctly, then there is no way a properly-
functioning AC system should be showing less than freezing at the vents,
assuming ambient temperatures wel above freezing.

I ask because there is a guy in another group insisting that he's measuring
(with several thermometers) 26-30º temperatures at the vents. This didn't
make any sense to me on account of the freezing you mention, so I thought
I'd ask.

How do home and commercial freezers keep from getting clogged with ice?

--
TeGGeR®

Old July 6th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
M.M.

TeGGeR® wrote:

> And if *I* understand *you* correctly, then there is no way a properly-
> functioning AC system should be showing less than freezing at the vents,
> assuming ambient temperatures wel above freezing.
>
> I ask because there is a guy in another group insisting that he's measuring
> (with several thermometers) 26-30º temperatures at the vents. This didn't
> make any sense to me on account of the freezing you mention, so I thought
> I'd ask.

It depends on the humidity. Here in the AZ desert, we have often
humidity in the 3-5% range in June. When the dew point is in the teens,
you can have evap temps below freezing without ice-up. When my Ranger's
A/C is working well, it can be down around freezing at the vents. And
when it's 115+ outside, that's very welcome...
Old July 6th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message

> How do home and commercial freezers keep from getting clogged with ice?
>
> --
> TeGGeR®

Older units needed to be manually defrosted, but newer frost free units have
electric heater coils that cycle on to keep the coils defrosted. Naturally
there is no constant movement of moisture ladened fresh air across the
refrigerating coils on a refrigerator, so there is a much slower build up of
ice. Frost free refrigerators even incorporate a small fan motor to evacuate
much of the air that enters the frig when you open the door, which further
lessens the presence of moisture ladened air across the cooling coils.

Old July 6th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"M.M." > wrote in message
> TeGGeR® wrote:
> >
> > And if *I* understand *you* correctly, then there is no way a properly-
> > functioning AC system should be showing less than freezing at the vents,
> > assuming ambient temperatures wel above freezing.
> >
> > I ask because there is a guy in another group insisting that he's

measuring
> > (with several thermometers) 26-30º temperatures at the vents. This

didn't
> > make any sense to me on account of the freezing you mention, so I

thought
> > I'd ask.
> >

> It depends on the humidity. Here in the AZ desert, we have often
> humidity in the 3-5% range in June. When the dew point is in the teens,
> you can have evap temps below freezing without ice-up. When my Ranger's
> A/C is working well, it can be down around freezing at the vents. And
> when it's 115+ outside, that's very welcome...

Yes, this is very true, and I guess I should have mentioned that during
periods of low humidity the evaporator may actually get as low as 26F
(depending on the type of refrigerant used -R12/,r134a) before the flow
control device would cause any deicing rise in evap pressure. I did say the
AVERAGE evap temp should remain above 32F, though.

Old July 6th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"Kevin" > wrote in message

> "TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
>

> > How do home and commercial freezers keep from getting clogged with ice?
> >
> > --
> > TeGGeR®
> >

> Older units needed to be manually defrosted, but newer frost free units

have
> electric heater coils that cycle on to keep the coils defrosted. Naturally
> there is no constant movement of moisture ladened fresh air across the
> refrigerating coils on a refrigerator, so there is a much slower build up

of
> ice. Frost free refrigerators even incorporate a small fan motor to

evacuate
> much of the air that enters the frig when you open the door, which further
> lessens the presence of moisture ladened air across the cooling coils.
> --
> Kevin Mouton
> Automotive Technology Instructor
> "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
> Red Green

Oh, and I should have mentioned that on the larger walk-in type commercial
freezers, there are dehumidifiers incorporated to keep the internal
atmosphere at near 0% humidity. That way there is no moisture to form ice on
the cooling coils.

Kevin