Closest call (driving) you've ever had

Old March 11th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Closest call (driving) you've ever had

We've all flirted with that old eternity road. I've had three
that come to mind immediately that I'll never forget (over
34 years of driving--including the year with learner's permit).

When I was, you guessed it, 16, I had the habit of top-ending
my mom's Cutlass, which was 112-115 mph. I lived in a small
rural town, and there was another tiny town about 12 miles away
that I decided one day to see how fast I could get to. There
was also a classic "dead man's curve" on the route that I'd
heard a little about but didn't take too seriously. It had/has
quite an impressive dead list over the years--from people
doing just what I was doing that day. I was top-ending when
I hit the curve (it's a deceptive thing as there's a little downhill
and it also curves sharply after it starts, which is not noticeable
when approaching it (I didn't wear seatbelts in those days either).
How I managed to not lose it that day I'll never know. I was literally
an ant away from death. The road was dry, and I always had the
wisdom--even at that age-- to never over-correct. Bottom line
is that that taught me a lesson I'll never forget as I was never
that reckless again. (My face was as white as a dead man's
when I looked at myself in the mirror.)

Another time, I was driving a 1974 Vega (very light vehicle) a little
too fast I'd guess, hit a puddle, hydroplaned, and very nearly had
a head-on with a huge Buick. This scared me pretty good, and could've
easily been fatal, but it wasn't quite as terrifying as the dead man's
curve day. (This spot some years later caused a woman to hydroplane
in the same dip in the road during rain, causing her to hit a log truck
head on, killing her.)

The other instance is almost funny really. I was driving at about 4
a.m.
one morning in 1978, along a highway I'd never been on before. I was
cruising along at about 65 mph, had no idea I was about to get
to a T intersection (if I continued on straight, I would've hit woods).
Anyway, I was looking at myself in the mirror for some reason, looked
up and saw woods fast approaching. LUCKILY, make that VERY LUCKILY,
just to the left was a dirt road that intersected with the same highway
I was intersecting with. I had just enough time, and had just good
enough
reflexes, to quickly veer to the left and fly down the dirt road
instead of
flying into the trees!

I've had other close calls as well--almost getting hit by drunks etc.,
these
really stand out.

--
Flores

Old March 11th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Long ago I used to pride myself on the ability to keep pushing long
after a wiser man would have called it a night, bulling my way through
big yawns, drifting attention, and "microsleep" to reach a pre-chosen
destination instead of flexing my schedule and itinerary to accommodate
what was reasonable to accomplish.

One afternoon it almost bit me and could have taken an innocent
bystander with me. (Yes, afternoon. We associate these problems with
late hours, and indeed I maintain that after midnight everybody's an
impaired driver; but if you've been ramrodding it too hard for too
long, your body can demand sleep at any hour.)

I knew I was getting tired but thought I was alright to the next city,
or at worst just a cup of coffee from alright. I dreamed that I was
driving in my sleep, and woke up to realize that I had been doing
exactly that, somewhat to the distress of the semi coming down the lane
I was in, which was mostly his side of the center line, not mine.

I cranked the wheel hard to the right, watched him in my mirrors to
make sure we'd *all* survived my idiot-ass attitude, cranked up the
radio, rolled down the windows, sat in an uncomfortable position,
deliberately kept my head and eye focus moving, found a safe place to
pull over for a nap, and, fitfully over the years, began behaving more
responsibly when operating large dangerous machinery in proximity to
others.

Sometimes when it gets late and you've been up too long doing too much,
you need to pull up short and make your excuses from the pay phone at a
motel. Getting there late beats not getting there at all.

--Joe

Old March 11th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
> Long ago I used to pride myself on the ability to keep pushing long
> after a wiser man would have called it a night, bulling my way through
> big yawns, drifting attention, and "microsleep" to reach a pre-chosen
> destination instead of flexing my schedule and itinerary to accommodate
> what was reasonable to accomplish.
>
> One afternoon it almost bit me and could have taken an innocent
> bystander with me. (Yes, afternoon. We associate these problems with
> late hours, and indeed I maintain that after midnight everybody's an
> impaired driver; but if you've been ramrodding it too hard for too
> long, your body can demand sleep at any hour.)
>
> I knew I was getting tired but thought I was alright to the next city,
> or at worst just a cup of coffee from alright. I dreamed that I was
> driving in my sleep, and woke up to realize that I had been doing
> exactly that, somewhat to the distress of the semi coming down the lane
> I was in, which was mostly his side of the center line, not mine.
>
> I cranked the wheel hard to the right, watched him in my mirrors to
> make sure we'd *all* survived my idiot-ass attitude, cranked up the
> radio, rolled down the windows, sat in an uncomfortable position,
> deliberately kept my head and eye focus moving, found a safe place to
> pull over for a nap, and, fitfully over the years, began behaving more
> responsibly when operating large dangerous machinery in proximity to
> others.
>
> Sometimes when it gets late and you've been up too long doing too much,
> you need to pull up short and make your excuses from the pay phone at a
> motel. Getting there late beats not getting there at all.
>
> --Joe

Yes, I had that happen on a long stretch of interstate highway late at
night coming back from dropping my daughter off at school. Dozed off
for a moment and for an instant I didn't know where I was. Really
scary. Pulled off to a rest area and got a few winks. And I try to
not push beyond the slightly sleepy state now. Once I get to that
state the only cure is a catnap in a rest area.

Old March 11th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
> Long ago I used to pride myself on the ability to keep pushing long
> after a wiser man would have called it a night, bulling my way through
> big yawns, drifting attention, and "microsleep" to reach a pre-chosen
> destination instead of flexing my schedule and itinerary to accommodate
> what was reasonable to accomplish.
>
> One afternoon it almost bit me and could have taken an innocent
> bystander with me. (Yes, afternoon. We associate these problems with
> late hours, and indeed I maintain that after midnight everybody's an
> impaired driver; but if you've been ramrodding it too hard for too
> long, your body can demand sleep at any hour.)
>
> I knew I was getting tired but thought I was alright to the next city,
> or at worst just a cup of coffee from alright. I dreamed that I was
> driving in my sleep, and woke up to realize that I had been doing
> exactly that,

<g> Yep, I can relate. I thought I was maybe the only person who'd
gone to sleep and actually had a "micro" dream while driving. Way back
in my younger years, I was driving home down I-75 at about 7 a.m.
after a sleepless night having fun with friends in Atlanta. My
girlfriend
was asleep in the seat next to me. I was tooling along, needing
matchsticks for the eyelids, but managing okay. A camper pickup
passed me and I drifted off and dreamed that I was with my uncle
in his camper headed to Florida on a fishing trip! A rough rumbling
suddenly woke me up. It was my left wheels leaving the left
side of the road. That scared me enough for me to forcibly
wake my ass up and finish the trip.

--
Flores

Old March 12th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article . com>, wrote:
> We've all flirted with that old eternity road. I've had three
> that come to mind immediately that I'll never forget (over
> 34 years of driving--including the year with learner's permit).

hmm... well there was the one that actually resulted in a collision. The
blow out while braking while driving my '75 maverick that I related before
so I won't bore everyone with it again.

The most recent was jan. 2005 when I was on I294.... Shortly after the TW
car had been smashed. I was no longer used to driving the mustang on
snow. On top of that the tires weren't exactly up to the task, but I had
not planned on driving it in snow. Usual poor ass
plowing, right lane was basically untouched. I am getting close to my
exit so I carefully move the mustang into the right lane after having
slowed. The rear end doesn't like this and starts to come around. I catch
it, it oscillates the other way, I catch it, this keeps repeating when
the sleep driver who was behind me in the middle lane decides this
is a good time to pass me while hugging the lane line. I can understand
wanting to pass, but why so close? The left lane was open and clear. I catch
the oscillation and avoid hitting him. How he couldn't see the oscillations
was beyond me. The semi driver in the right lane behind me noticed and
slowed way down putting a lot more distance between us than the generous
distance I had given initially.

After way too many oscillations I get it calm down and exit. Thankfully
the standard winter driving techniques worked. I had been very gentle but
the corrections were even causing problems.

Old March 14th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Ahhh yes.

I have some good driving stories.This one was back in 1997. I was
driving from Calgary to Winnipeg. Back then, I had a 1992 F-150 with
the 5 liter engine. Man, that thing had sweet power. Anyway, I decided
stupidly to pass a semi UP a hill. Guess what? Almost completed the
pass when I saw ANOTHER semi coming right at me. I almost didn't get
through. I never again pass on hills or corners. I learned my lesson,
and almost soiled my pants. I deserved it, I was young and stupid.

Stoneman Auto Review

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/sar

One test drive at a time!

Driving is not a Privilege. Driving is a Right. proffsl Driving 172 April 12th 06 05:48 AM
More evidence against cell phones and driving Rich Ford Mustang 1 December 3rd 05 12:04 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
The increasing stress of driving Alexander Rogge Driving 17 July 14th 05 05:48 AM
Speeding sucks Magnulus Driving 191 April 26th 05 05:21 AM