Noise and rough engine

Old November 11th 04, 10:40 PM
kindashort

Default Noise and rough engine

Hello,

I have a 94 Sl2 and currently have a couple of problems. One is
when I start the car I have a screeching sound for a minute or two and
it goes away. I currently have gone under the hood to listen to it
but cannot id which component is making the noise. The other is with
the idle. When I apply the brakes and stop sometimes the car will race
and then stall out. Putting it in reverse can also cause it to die.
The vehicle has 197000 on it. I change the oil at 3000 miles or three
month interval. I just drained as much as I couold out of the tranny
and changed that filter. Any ideas or checks I could make would be
appreciated. Thanks

Jim
Old November 11th 04, 10:51 PM
Roy

Your screeching noise is most likely a belt. Needs to be tightened or
replaced.
m...

Old November 11th 04, 11:22 PM
Bob Shuman

Or, if the belts are new and tight, then the noise is probably from a
bearing that is wearing out on one of the items driven by the belts (power
steering pump, alternator, water pump, idler wheel, tensioner, etc.) This
is most likely a glazed belt as the previous poster surmised, but if it is a
bearing, sometimes you can locate the source by listening closely. If not,
then try spraying the items one by one with a spray lubricant through a
spray nozzle tube to direct it to only the bearing areas and then re-start
to see when it goes away. (Just do not get any lube on the belt or the
related belt drive areas as this will surely cause slippage.)

Good luck!

Bob