96 SL1 124K...time for checkup?

Old October 4th 04, 07:26 PM
tenshiryu

Default 96 SL1 124K...time for checkup?

Hi everyone, I don't know much about cars, and my Saturn's a used car that
I've had for close to 6 yrs.

I don't have my manual anymore, so I don't know what I should do for my
100K checkup. I've gotten my brake cylinders, front and rear brakes,
muffler/exhaust pipe, and spark plugs all changed within the past year or
2 (spark plugs around 4-5 yrs ago). I think around the time I got my
spark plugs changed, I got my linkage (?) replaced in my stick shift since
I couldn't get into 1st or 2nd gear.

Should I just go to the Saturn dealer and get a checkup? What entails a
checkup for the 100K+ cars? (How much would it cost?)

I'm sorry I'm not much help when it comes to cars. Last time I went to
PepBoys for my brakes, they told me that my alternator belt was
cracking...How do I check that, to know if they are trying to jip me of my
$$?

Thanks a bunch for any kind of help!
-Tenshiryu

Old October 4th 04, 09:39 PM
Jonnie Santos

....here's what my old dealer suggests for service. I'd guess it's pretty
similar to other dealers.

http://www.saturnsd.com/Flashsite/Se...hedule_sl.html

lkaboutautos.com...

Old October 5th 04, 02:23 AM
Ben

How about a 96 SL2 with 245,000 miles on it?

Old October 5th 04, 04:27 PM
Jonnie Santos

....wow, that's a lot of miles. I'm guessing you already have a system using
the mileage intervals on the basic schedule for reference. You probably
strike up some good conversation at the dealer too. Do you use this vehicle
for work, or have a long commute or just love to drive? (just curious)

Old October 5th 04, 10:40 PM
Ben

Actually I inherted it from a friend.. He had to get a bigger car for his
back problems.. So he just gave it too me.. He bought it new in Feb of 96
(Found the original sticker in the owner's manual) and drove 150 miles a day
for like 5 years for work.. We drove it to Indiana and back this past
weekend and it drove great.. It needs some break work done.. I can tell it
has a slightly warped rotor... He would change the oil every 2000 miles and
kept up with the maintence like clock work... I plan on doing the same.. For
a free car.. If I can get about 50,000 or miles out of it.. I can't
complain... And just to add something else.. He drove his Honda to about
450,000 miles before the main seals went and died...

Old October 6th 04, 01:30 AM
Jonnie Santos

....(imo) it's great when people take care of their stuff - I love readying
about these kind of numbers on the odo too. And congrats on the new-to-you
car.

Old October 8th 04, 06:52 PM
tenshiryu

Wow, that really helps! Thanks a lot for your help!!

WANT TO BUT A SPYDER......? Bagger Chrysler 0 January 13th 05 06:22 PM
Almost done, for this time RocknTJ Jeep 8 December 31st 04 01:33 PM
Service time John Sloan Saturn 6 September 8th 04 04:34 AM
HELP! 88 Suzuki Samurai Won't pass emissions test BIG TIME! xyzzy 4x4 8 April 1st 04 05:48 PM