98 4.0 EFI Rough Idle

Old December 22nd 04, 01:32 AM

Default 98 4.0 EFI Rough Idle

I have a 98 ford explorer 4.0 EFI Its not a SOHC. My check engine
light came on the other day, the next morning I noticed a rough idle.
it seemed to clear up after the engine warmed up. I disconnected the
battery cables to do a reset. It ran a few days ok. then the light came
back on one afternoon after a driving it for a couple of hours. the
next morning it ran rough again til it warmed up. any suggestions on
this.
Thanks

Old December 22nd 04, 02:23 AM

I see that there were recalls on SOHC engines for a " Intake Gasket". I
wonder if that covers the EFI engines also. I Have 114000 miles on the
truck.

Old December 22nd 04, 02:47 AM
Jim Warman

Knowing what codes are being stored in the PCM would certainly help. I can't
stress how important DTCs are in the diagnostic process. I didn't see any
TSBs pertaining to the OHV motor. SSMs are considerably harder to search
without having the VIN to run through OASIS.

I reall the from timing casette on the SOHC being treated to a warranty
extension but I'm sure that it was limited to 100,000 miles.

ps.com...

Old December 22nd 04, 01:19 PM

Has anyone purchased one of those "Code" readers fron AutoZone for
29.95? I was wondering if they work.

Old December 22nd 04, 02:05 PM

Old December 23rd 04, 06:07 AM
Jim Warman

Well they will likely scan OBD2 generic codes... however their functionalty
is limited in the realm of scan tools. These tools rarely read proprietary
codes such as those stored in the GEM, HEC, TCM and so on.

http://www.troublecodes.net/technical/scaninfo.shtml might be worth a read.

ups.com...