Do I stick with Saturn?

Old December 22nd 04, 01:43 AM
bosco took

Steph wrote:
> bosco took > wrote in news:uPSdnXEbWuv0eF3cRVn-
> :
>

>>My lease on my 2001 SL2 (33K) is almost up. My dealer wants to place

> me
>
>>in a 2005 Ion2...although a long time Saturn fan, I have heard mixed
>>reviews about the Ion....The only non-insurance problem I have had

> with
>
>>my SL2 was a dead battery, though I thnik the motor is not as zippy as
>>it was. Do I walk away and look for another brand (e.g. Hyundi), buy
>>the SL2 (about 10k CND) or go for the Ion...Any and all advice will be
>>appreciated.

> I leased a '94 SL2 (only 30 days), then owned a '95 SL2, then leased a
> '97 SW2. We LOVED the SW2, but the residual to buy it at the end of the
> lease was crazy like $12k (US). I tried to haggle a bit, but the sales
> guys said they couldn't budge on it, though they could work a deal on a
> new 2000 - "afterall you have to have a car right?"
>
> I actually did not HAVE to have a car, as I had a working old and rusty
> full-size van at the time and was only driving a few miles per day
> anyway, so I handed them the keys and walked away.
>
> 8 months later we custom ordered a 2001 LW200 and got the 0.9%
> financing, which was way better in the end than either buying the 3
> year old SW2 (though we liked it more), or getting a newer vehicle at
> that time without the financing incentives.
>
> If you are truly happy with the existing vehicle and can finance it
> without losing too much money, do so. You might wish to take the
> opportunity to also add extended coverage to it, since you will be
> making payments on it the added cost for the extra warranty financed is
> minimal.

My dealer wants $1600 for the extended coverage...ridiculous, in my opinion
Old December 22nd 04, 01:44 AM
bosco took

Steph wrote:
> bosco took > wrote in news:uPSdnXEbWuv0eF3cRVn-
> :
>

>>My lease on my 2001 SL2 (33K) is almost up. My dealer wants to place

> me
>
>>in a 2005 Ion2...although a long time Saturn fan, I have heard mixed
>>reviews about the Ion....The only non-insurance problem I have had

> with
>
>>my SL2 was a dead battery, though I thnik the motor is not as zippy as
>>it was. Do I walk away and look for another brand (e.g. Hyundi), buy
>>the SL2 (about 10k CND) or go for the Ion...Any and all advice will be
>>appreciated.

> I leased a '94 SL2 (only 30 days), then owned a '95 SL2, then leased a
> '97 SW2. We LOVED the SW2, but the residual to buy it at the end of the
> lease was crazy like $12k (US). I tried to haggle a bit, but the sales
> guys said they couldn't budge on it, though they could work a deal on a
> new 2000 - "afterall you have to have a car right?"
>
> I actually did not HAVE to have a car, as I had a working old and rusty
> full-size van at the time and was only driving a few miles per day
> anyway, so I handed them the keys and walked away.
>
> 8 months later we custom ordered a 2001 LW200 and got the 0.9%
> financing, which was way better in the end than either buying the 3
> year old SW2 (though we liked it more), or getting a newer vehicle at
> that time without the financing incentives.
>
> If you are truly happy with the existing vehicle and can finance it
> without losing too much money, do so. You might wish to take the
> opportunity to also add extended coverage to it, since you will be
> making payments on it the added cost for the extra warranty financed is
> minimal.

p.s.

for the cost of financing the 2001 I can get a 2005 Ion
Old December 22nd 04, 02:07 PM
Ron Taylor

i would purchase your lease return with an factory extended warranty, if
i were you.

Old December 22nd 04, 02:22 PM
Ron Herfurth

"Steph" > wrote in message

snip

> We LOVED the SW2,

snip

> 8 months later we custom ordered a 2001 LW200 and got the 0.9%
> financing, which was way better in the end than either buying the 3
> year old SW2 (though we liked it more),

Just curious what it was about the SW that you liked better than the LW ?

My next will be a wagon but I can't decide between getting a used SW, a used
LW or waiting to see if Saturn brings out another one ( a wagon version of
the ION would be nice).

Ron
Charlottesville, va
94 SL1

Old December 22nd 04, 04:51 PM
Steph

"Ron Herfurth" > wrote in
:

>> We LOVED the SW2,

> snip
>
>> 8 months later we custom ordered a 2001 LW200 and got the 0.9%
>> financing, which was way better in the end than either buying the 3
>> year old SW2 (though we liked it more),

> Just curious what it was about the SW that you liked better than the
> LW ?

The SW2 was big enough for us. The LW200 is bigger and more comfortable
with a leather interior and heated seats but since we also have a mini-
van we did not necessarily need the extra space of the LW200. Also the
SW had a longer run, lots of people able to work on them, parts easily
available (for now).

> My next will be a wagon but I can't decide between getting a used SW,
> a used LW or waiting to see if Saturn brings out another one ( a wagon
> version of the ION would be nice).

Well they did away with the SW body, and I hear they are hard to find.
The Lw series was also phased out, I have trouble finding someone who
knows anything about the LW200 with a manual, as it was a "new" to
Saturn transmission (from Saab I think). Also becuase of fewer cars out
there the glass windows on the LW are more (yes we have a crack in the
windshield).

The Relay is what is coming off their line currently for "big cars". I
am not thrilled with the Relay, though have not seen or driven one yet
in person.

Old December 22nd 04, 08:06 PM
bosco took

Ron Taylor wrote:
> i would purchase your lease return with an factory extended warranty, if
> i were you.

sorry Ron....can u explain?
Old December 23rd 04, 11:07 PM
Rev Turd Fredericks

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:56:53 GMT, Blah blah > wrote:

>> >Well because they never salt them would be my guess.

>> Plenty of salt, they just take better care of them.
>>

>They use more sand than salt.
>
> The roads around here are generally very good but there are pot holes
>that show up in places right after winter from snow plows breaking
>chunks out.

In Toronto it's all salt and a bit of sand.

> The biggest problem with those tiny cars he mentioned is there isnt any
>crumple zones to speak of. They looked more like small caskets than
>cars. I want more than headlights and tail lights around me, I want a
>"hood" in front and a "trunk" in the back.

I hear you there. When I lived in Toronto, I used to drive a 1974 VW
bug (the salt on the roads kills them though), but this was before the
boom in SUV's. When I moved to California I was practically salivating
at the prospect of getting a vintage VW in perfect condition. However,
seeing the way people drive out here in their SUV's talking on their
cellphones etc. etc. an old VW beelte would be like signing your own
death warrant. It's too bad, because I really loved those cars,
totally low tech and all you need to fix one is a screwdriver and a
wrench.

Old December 24th 04, 01:25 AM
Napalm Heart

"Blah blah" > wrote in message

> > >Well because they never salt them would be my guess.

> > Plenty of salt, they just take better care of them.
> >

> They use more sand than salt.
>
> The roads around here are generally very good but there are pot

holes
> that show up in places right after winter from snow plows breaking
> chunks out.

The frost coming out of the ground is what causes the potholes, not
the snow plows.

> The biggest problem with those tiny cars he mentioned is there isnt

any
> crumple zones to speak of. They looked more like small caskets than
> cars. I want more than headlights and tail lights around me, I want

> "hood" in front and a "trunk" in the back.

Agree with you here.

Old December 24th 04, 02:01 PM
Ron Taylor

again, just an option.
i still like the sl models. i'm sure you have the option to buy yours.
low miles, you know the car and it's service history.

Old December 26th 04, 01:09 AM
Ron Taylor

pan, and fill with a thick bed of onions,
celery, green onions, and parsley.
Place roast on top with fat side up.
Place uncovered in 500° oven for 20 minutes, reduce oven to 325°.
Bake till medium rare (150°) and let roast rest.
Pour stock over onions and drippings, carve the meat and
place the slices in the au jus.

Bisque à l?Enfant

Honor the memory of Grandma with this dish by utilizing her good
silver soup tureen and her great grandchildren (crawfish, crab or
lobster will work just as well, however this dish is classically
made with crawfish).

Stuffed infant heads, stuffed crawfish heads, stuffed crab or lobster shells;
make patties if shell or head is not available
(such as with packaged crawfish, crab, or headless baby).
Flour
oil
onions
bell peppers
garlic salt, pepper, etc.
3 cups chicken stock
2 sticks butter
3 tablespoons oil

First stuff the heads, or make the patties (see index)
then fry or bake.
Set aside to drain on paper towels.
Make a roux