Boosting

Old December 7th 04, 06:30 AM
Dave Fairfield

Default Boosting

I've posted about this before. My 2002 LW had a dead battery when I arrived
at the Calgary International Airport to pick it up. The lot, run by Budget
Rent a Car system, provided me with a boost. The operator assured me that
he knew what he was doing, even though we questioned him when he put the
cables on the negative battery terminal. His cables were internally damaged
as well, and arced a bit as he worked.

The upshot? One burned out airbag control computer -- $ 642.00. One other
computer that needed to be "reflashed" - $ 48.00, and $ 100.00 or more in
labour charges. Of course, the lot accepts no responsibility, saying that
their truck was clearly marked "Boosts at owner's risk" - which it didn't
say, although I'm sure it does now.

My advice? Don't let a parking lot boost truck near your car. Stick to the
AAA (CAA here). Find a car rental company with better corporate morals than
Budget while you are at it. And avoid the "Park and Jet" lots like the
plague.

An expensive lesson to be sure.

Old December 7th 04, 02:32 PM
Oppie

Bummer! Were the cables appied backwards or just the sparking that caused a
fault?
For what it's worth... I always connect the negative to the engine block or
frame rather than to the battery. Far better chance of not getting the
cables reversed. The other thing to keep in mind is that a deeply
discharged battery has a high impedance. When boosting from a higher voltage
source (I've seen 12V batteries boosted from 24V truck systems...I wouldn't
recommend it but it has been done) the discharged battery will not 'ballast'
the voltage. Result is that some of the sensitive electronics can get fried.

I read 'boosting' and immediately thought shoplifting. My folks had a retail
clothing store and this time of year shoplifting, or boosting as it was
referred to, was at a peak.

Happy Holidays,
Oppie

Old December 9th 04, 04:51 AM
Dave Fairfield

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The battery was very dead
(internal fault, it turned out). I have no idea what voltage the boosting
truck used -- but my mechanic thought that if he was running his vehicle (he
was) there would be a surge when my car started -- both alternators working
together.

The problem isn't the way it was done, but the way I was treated. I got a
bill for almost a thousand dollars, and Budget wipes their hands of it.
Seems unfair to me.

Dave

news:1102426335.4f493f0a1465a296410c9646cf77edfe@t eranews...

Old December 12th 04, 02:12 AM
Nick Hull

In article <VYPtd.5837$U47.3409@clgrps12>,
"Dave Fairfield" > wrote:

> I think you've hit the nail on the head. The battery was very dead
> (internal fault, it turned out). I have no idea what voltage the boosting
> truck used -- but my mechanic thought that if he was running his vehicle (he
> was) there would be a surge when my car started -- both alternators working
> together.

My SWAG is that you started the car too quick. I always keep the
boosted cables on (from a 12 volt battery only) foe a minute to put
enough charge into the battery to start the engine, rather than starting
from the booster cables. I also keep the booster cables on for a minute
afterward because the weak battery might have high impedance and allow a
voltage surge, which is moderated by the booster cables. YMMV

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Old December 13th 04, 02:36 AM
Oppie

In a similar day from hell at the airport parking lot... I had left the
headlights on dashing to make a commuter filight. When I returned (there had
been a big weather front and the whole east coast air traffic was *greatly*
delayed) the battery was dead. With a cheesy pair of jumper cables, it took
10 minutes for the battery to even think of cranking. I thanked the nice
couple that had been similarly delayed for giving me the jump when they
wanted was to get some sleep.

Old December 13th 04, 05:32 AM
Jonnie Santos

What do you think about those portable units with the battery used to
jumpstart? (just curious) I helped out a couple of times with my SL2 and I
swear soon after I needed a new battery - probably coincidence.

Old December 14th 04, 01:35 AM
Kevin M. Keller

"Jonnie Santos" > typed until their fingers
bled, and came up with:

> What do you think about those portable units with the battery used to
> jumpstart? (just curious)

I love mine. We have 2 at work used to jump the vans, since they tend to
sit around all week. Keep them charged, and they work wonders. Faster and
easier than cables.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com