E39 Police Cars in London

Old January 26th 05, 05:06 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

[Bottom-posting style improved]

Joke!

DAS
---

[...]

Old January 26th 05, 06:02 PM
Frank Kemper

haute in die Tasten:

> No. Especially having driven one a few times! My point is only
> that in a number of European countries, the police seem to
> diversify their fleets more broadly than in the US and Canada, an
> interesting practice to some of us on this side of the pond. Here
> such a suggestion would likely be met by incredulous stares from
> the fleet manager who likes to stock one size of tire, one weight
> of oil, etc.

I think that US Police cars are more customized to the needs of police
duty than, say, in Germany. Here they recently started leasing their
police cars instead of buying them. For that reason the exterior colour
has changed. In former times most german police cars were white with
green doors and green hoods. Now they are silver and wear green or
silver decials made out of plastic film. At the end of the lease the
police equipment is de-installed, the decials are removed, and some
lucky guy gets a beaten-to-death BMW touring with a nice colour;-)

This is how german police cars looked some years ago

http://www.blaulichtfahrzeuge.de/pol...rd-414-12.html

and this is how they look now:

http://www.blaulichtfahrzeuge.de/pol...ceklasse-digi-
030310-02.html

(Note, how they managed to install the lights/siren section into the
sunroof gap)

As a rule of thumb, german police does not use cars from foreign
manufacturers, with rare exceptions. So I have seen some Land Rover
Discovery in the colours of the Bavarian police on duty in the
Berchtesgaden County near the Alps.

http://cameltrophy.wz.cz/Images/fotky/dis12c.JPG

This seemed odd to me, because there are many Mercedes G models on duty
for various police departments and special operations groups. When the
Deutschmark was exchanged against the Euro, one could also see some
armoured money transport trucks (very impressve 8x8 vehicles, which can
run more than 100 mph). They usually were accompanied by armoured BMW
E38 or by armoured Toyota Landcruiser (all painted in police colours)

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old January 26th 05, 08:45 PM
mjc

Don't worry, I top post because it is absolutely stupid to have to scroll
down on EVERY reply past all that has been shown before, just to get to the
response. KEEP TOP POSTING. We enlightened minority will soon "win" over
those that are sheep led by convention!

www.ukpolicecars.co.uk (Google

Old January 26th 05, 10:31 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

I absolutely agree but it does appear to depend on the newsreader and how
one views the messages. Through Google it is very different. And the other
day I had a very peculiar experience. I found my posts to this (and another
similar) NG all over the web in OTHER forums. And there it really can be a
little incovenient to read top-posted msgs.

However, sod it...

DAS
---

news

Old January 27th 05, 12:14 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
> And there it really can be a little incovenient to read top-posted msgs.

Trouble is most top posters simply quote the entire post - or more likely
the thread that they're commenting on - which is a pain in the wallet for
those on a dial up connection. And also don't understand how a decent
newsreader follows threading.

My rule of thumb is to make sure my entire post is only one page at
800 x 600 which might involve some trimming and re-formatting. So no one
has to scroll to follow it.

--
*Modulation in all things *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 27th 05, 12:49 AM
Dan Drake

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:14:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
>> And there it really can be a little incovenient to read top-posted msgs.

>Trouble is most top posters simply quote the entire post - or more likely
>the thread that they're commenting on - which is a pain in the wallet for
>those on a dial up connection. And also don't understand how a decent
>newsreader follows threading.

Fact is for most people - even those on dial-up - the download time
for text isn't a real issue.

The real issue is just the one related to courtesy and effective
communication skills. It's not like you'd write a letter to someone,
and then staple the whole correspondence file onto the back of it, is
it? Well, maybe some people would. It's customary in correspondence
to introduce the a summary of the subject matter in order for the
reader to know what the **** you're talking about.

Of course, stapling the whole file to the back of the letter works as
well, it just takes longer to read it all to figure out what the ****
the **** is talking about. It's just another social skill. Not
everyone has social skills.
--
Dan Drake
Old January 27th 05, 09:32 PM
Neil

> "Neil" > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> > uhhh...I think the point was that in the US there is less variety in the
> > types of vehices used by the Police, than is the case in the UK.

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> [Bottom-posting style improved]
>
> Joke!
>
> DAS
> --
> For direct contact replace nospam with schmetterling
> ---

such a [t]wit.

Old January 30th 05, 11:17 PM
BigBazza

>> Curiously I don't recollect seeing Merc police cars in the UK.

> I've seen a ML on the motorway and www.ukpolicecars.co.uk (Google
> rocks...)
> suggests Hertfordshire fancied a go in a C and an E.

Strathclyde have a fleet of marked Merc C280 Kompressor saloons doing
Traffic police duties, most of which (if not all) have tiptronic type
gearboxes. They also have a fleet of ML320 4X4's mainly doing motorway
patrol work, and again, I believe all are autos.

Additionally, they have a large number of marked 5er's (probably
outnumbering the Merc's by 2/1) - almost all are 530's but in both
Petrol and Diesel and both Manual and Tiptronic Automatic flavours
(although the manual cars are being phased out and are disappearing
fast).

As far as I'm aware, the 2000 year model ('W' Plate) unmarked 528i's
in use here have been replaced, one of which was definately replaced
by a Skoda Superb...and apparently the Skoda's now doing a roaring
trade, scalping speeders all across Ayrshire!

Cheers

BigBazza

Old February 4th 05, 01:11 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

LoL. As it happens I plan to spend a few days in Skoda-Land next week...

DAS
---

"BigBazza" > wrote in message
news
[...]

Old February 4th 05, 03:41 PM
Frank Kemper

"Dori A Schmetterling" > haute in die Tasten:

> LoL. As it happens I plan to spend a few days in Skoda-Land next
> week...

Do you go there by car? If so I would recommend travelling the road
from Bayerisch Eisenstein (Bavarian border) to Plzen (Pilsen - where
the famous beer is made). And you should not come back without a crate
of original Pilsener Urquell beer, which tastes different than the
stuff you can buy elsewhere under that brand name.

The advantage of that road is, that there is a bridge with only 3.40 m
max. headroom, so big trucks cannot pass and do not use this road.

Very nice also for convertibles in the summertime.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance