I'm SICK....the A4 has to go!

Old January 31st 05, 11:15 PM
JJ

Default I'm SICK....the A4 has to go!

I complained about the compartment of the A4 for a guy who is 6'5. I had a
passat.....never a problem...but not NEAR as fun. The center consol pushes
on the outside of my right leg...causing foot numbness....and the stiff
seats cut into the back of my thigh. My ortho doc said it probably is the
car.....Is the A6 much bigger? The seat larger? Is there an alternative
vehicle that can provide the fun with a larger driver area?

Old January 31st 05, 11:42 PM
Iain Miller

"JJ" > wrote in message
>I complained about the compartment of the A4 for a guy who is 6'5. I had a
>passat.....never a problem...but not NEAR as fun. The center consol pushes
>on the outside of my right leg...causing foot numbness....and the stiff
>seats cut into the back of my thigh. My ortho doc said it probably is the
>car.....Is the A6 much bigger? The seat larger? Is there an alternative
>vehicle that can provide the fun with a larger driver area?

Suggest you hop over to www.clubb5.com, read the forums & see just what can
be done with a Passat for not that much money. A 1.8T with a chip, some anti
roll bars a "Chas bar" to stiffen up the front end & suspension mods turns
it into a completely different car. Maybe you'll find yourself re-aquiring
one!

I.

Old February 1st 05, 08:50 AM
Pete

"JJ" wrote
>I complained about the compartment of the A4 for a guy who is 6'5.

Is this the B6 A4? I've heard some complaints about that center console
being a pain in the neck Some even sold their B6s. No such problems in
my B5, but then again, I'm only 5'7".

Rather than asking, you should head on over to the dealer and take the A6
for a drive - that's the only way you'll know whether the seating position
fits you. That said, the A6 will most likely not be as much fun to drive as
the A4. A6 is more of a luxury highway cruiser, much like the Passat,
unless you upgrade the suspension (not sure if factory sport susp. was an
option on the A6).

You could also look at the G35 if the looks don't scare you. It's also
available with AWD.

Cheers,

Pete

Old February 1st 05, 09:44 AM
Peter Bell

In message >
"Pete" > wrote:

> That said, the A6 will most likely not be as much fun to drive as the
> A4.

I was perfectly happy with my 2000 A6 2.7T, after owning an A4. I'm
even happier with my current RS6, but that's a different story!

> A6 is more of a luxury highway cruiser, much like the Passat, unless
> you upgrade the suspension (not sure if factory sport susp. was an
> option on the A6).

Sports suspension was always an option in the UK, but it became the
standard fitment after a while.

Old February 1st 05, 09:25 PM
Mike Smith

JJ wrote:

> I complained about the compartment of the A4 for a guy who is 6'5. I had a
> passat.....never a problem...but not NEAR as fun. The center consol pushes
> on the outside of my right leg...causing foot numbness....and the stiff
> seats cut into the back of my thigh. My ortho doc said it probably is the
> car.....Is the A6 much bigger? The seat larger?

I testdrove an '02 A6, encountered the same problems you are describing,
and in fact passed it up for that very reason. Meanwhile, my '03 Passat
is much better in this regard. It's not that the car is bigger, but the
center console is much more reasonably sized. (Late-'90s, early-'00s
Audis seem to all have *huge* center consoles for some reason.) I've
only seen pics of the new A6, but it looks like it might be roomier down
in the leg area.

--
Mike Smith
Old February 1st 05, 10:31 PM
Stephen Clark

I sat in a new 2005 A6 and didn't notice any console interference with my
leg as you describe.

I am 6' 1".

--
Stephen Clark
99 Lexus RX300

See my Audi in the Registry at www.audiworld.com!

Old February 1st 05, 10:32 PM
JJ

The side bolster also seems to literally cut into the back of my thigh. I
don't understand why it doesn't affect my left leg. The car was fine for the
first few months....but with my on the road for almost 45 minutes....the
aching began in the back of my leg. Then the tingling in my foot. Any other
tall drivers out there? Was my Passat that much different? Ugh! It sucks to
be tall.