Are subframes OEM on 1999 Convertibles?

Old March 17th 05, 03:18 AM
DevilPaul

Default Are subframes OEM on 1999 Convertibles?

I have a 1999 3.8L V6 convertible "35th Anniversary" Mustang that I bought used in 2000 with 17,000 miles on it. Back in late January I got into an accident and my car wound up bouncing off of a guard rail on the drivers side. Here's my problem - I brought it to a local body shop who contracted the alignment out to a Midas. Well, the Midas guys called me up and said the alignment couldn't be done without customizing the car. The issue? Subframe supports on the bottom of the car. There are 2 that run parallel with the body on both sides and one large one underneath the engine. I did not put these on and I highly doubt that the previous owner did as that was a rental car company. The Midas refused to do the alignment and then the body shop owner contracted the job to a Monroe Muffler who also refused to do it. I got my car back on Monday and the alignment still isn't done. I can tell it's out of whack and I'm taking it to a Ford dealer on Friday to get the alignment done with the body shop footing the bill. Does anyone know if these subframes are OEM? I don't see how they wouldn't be as it's a convertible car and it would make sense to have them to keep down body flex.

--
Paul

Old March 17th 05, 03:37 AM
Dinsdale

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:18:50 GMT, "DevilPaul" >
wrote:

>I have a 1999 3.8L V6 convertible "35th Anniversary" Mustang that I bought used in 2000 with 17,000 miles on it. Back in late January I got into an accident and my car wound up bouncing off of a guard rail on the drivers side. Here's my problem - I brought it to a local body shop who contracted the alignment out to a Midas. Well, the Midas guys called me up and said the alignment couldn't be done without customizing the car. The issue? Subframe supports on the bottom of the car. There are 2 that run parallel with the body on both sides and one large one underneath the engine. I did not put these on and I highly doubt that the previous owner did as that was a rental car company. The Midas refused to do the alignment and then the body shop owner contracted the job to a Monroe Muffler who also refused to do it. I got my car back on Monday and the alignment still isn't done. I can tell it's out of whack and I'm taking it to a Ford dealer on Friday to get the alignment done with the body
>shop footing the bill. Does anyone know if these subframes are OEM? I don't see how they wouldn't be as it's a convertible car and it would make sense to have them to keep down body flex.

Has the body shop verified that the unibody is within spec?
Old March 17th 05, 03:51 AM
DevilPaul

"Dinsdale" > wrote in message
> Has the body shop verified that the unibody is within spec?

Hmmmm, I'm not sure what you mean by that. This is the first time I've ever
been in an accident so I'm a little, uh, naive.

--
Paul

Old March 17th 05, 10:37 PM
Dinsdale

"DevilPaul" > wrote in
news
> "Dinsdale" > wrote in message
>> Has the body shop verified that the unibody is within spec?

> Hmmmm, I'm not sure what you mean by that. This is the first time I've
> ever been in an accident so I'm a little, uh, naive.

The unibody is the main structure of the car...less the front fenders,
hood, doors, decklid (basically the stuff that's bolted on).
The suspension is bolted to the unibody....if the unibody is bent, those
mounting points have moved in relation to each other and alignment may be
impossible.

Now, why the alignment shops say that subframe connectors are the reason
an alignment can't be done is beyond me because they shouldn't be in the
way. The alignment shops should have found if some parts (the lower
control arms...tie-rods...etc) were bent.

As others have said in this thread...the body shop needs to confirm if
the unibody is straight. (if it's a collision repair shop it should have
a frame jig to check it) If they don't check it, they may be giving you
an unsafe car.

If they say the unibody is straight...tell them to check the k-member
(even though it should be part of the unibody checking)...the front
suspension/steering/brakes are bolted to this and it's bolted to the
unibody.

Here's a pic of an aftermarket k-member...it's the blue thing.
http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...aine/77928.jpg

Old March 17th 05, 11:59 PM
Brent P

In article >, Dinsdale wrote:

> Now, why the alignment shops say that subframe connectors are the reason
> an alignment can't be done is beyond me because they shouldn't be in the
> way. The alignment shops should have found if some parts (the lower
> control arms...tie-rods...etc) were bent.

My guess is it's just another stupid corporate-lawyer-lawsuit-exposure
thing combined with general stupidity.

1) they won't touch cars with modified chasis/suspension.
2) they don't know mustang verts have subframe connectors and the brace
stock from the factory and think it's a mod.

Old March 18th 05, 11:26 PM
DevilPaul

"Dinsdale" > wrote in message
> The unibody is the main structure of the car...less the front fenders,
> hood, doors, decklid (basically the stuff that's bolted on).
> The suspension is bolted to the unibody....if the unibody is bent, those
> mounting points have moved in relation to each other and alignment may be
> impossible.
>
> Now, why the alignment shops say that subframe connectors are the reason
> an alignment can't be done is beyond me because they shouldn't be in the
> way. The alignment shops should have found if some parts (the lower
> control arms...tie-rods...etc) were bent.
>
> As others have said in this thread...the body shop needs to confirm if
> the unibody is straight. (if it's a collision repair shop it should have
> a frame jig to check it) If they don't check it, they may be giving you
> an unsafe car.
>
> If they say the unibody is straight...tell them to check the k-member
> (even though it should be part of the unibody checking)...the front
> suspension/steering/brakes are bolted to this and it's bolted to the
> unibody.
>
> Here's a pic of an aftermarket k-member...it's the blue thing.
> http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...aine/77928.jpg

Thanks for the info Dinsdale, it's definitely appreciated. The unibody on
the car is straight. All of the damage I had as cosmetic and I only bumped
the guard rail at around 15 - 20MPH. I had the car taken to a Ford dealer
and aligned.

--
Paul

Old March 19th 05, 03:24 AM
Dinsdale

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:26:38 GMT, "DevilPaul" >
wrote:

>"Dinsdale" > wrote in message
>> The unibody is the main structure of the car...less the front fenders,
>> hood, doors, decklid (basically the stuff that's bolted on).
>> The suspension is bolted to the unibody....if the unibody is bent, those
>> mounting points have moved in relation to each other and alignment may be
>> impossible.
>>
>> Now, why the alignment shops say that subframe connectors are the reason
>> an alignment can't be done is beyond me because they shouldn't be in the
>> way. The alignment shops should have found if some parts (the lower
>> control arms...tie-rods...etc) were bent.
>>
>> As others have said in this thread...the body shop needs to confirm if
>> the unibody is straight. (if it's a collision repair shop it should have
>> a frame jig to check it) If they don't check it, they may be giving you
>> an unsafe car.
>>
>> If they say the unibody is straight...tell them to check the k-member
>> (even though it should be part of the unibody checking)...the front
>> suspension/steering/brakes are bolted to this and it's bolted to the
>> unibody.
>>
>> Here's a pic of an aftermarket k-member...it's the blue thing.
>> http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...aine/77928.jpg

>Thanks for the info Dinsdale, it's definitely appreciated. The unibody on
>the car is straight. All of the damage I had as cosmetic and I only bumped
>the guard rail at around 15 - 20MPH. I had the car taken to a Ford dealer
>and aligned.

Glad to add to the knowledge base....Happy Motoring.
Old March 18th 05, 06:04 AM
Michael Seeley

02 GT vert and 03 Cobra vert have factory subframes, I would assume the V-6
would be the same for that body style
news

Old March 17th 05, 04:55 AM
SVTKate

I seriously doubt that they are factory.
Have you thought to ask the guys at the dealership shop if they are aware of
anything like that included as standard equipment?

Kate
OH... and you are probabaly better off that Midas refused to work on your
car.
Talk about a rip off outfit. Those *******s make a living taking advantage
of peple that don't know anything about their cars.

Old March 17th 05, 06:31 AM
Brent P

In article >, DevilPaul wrote:
> alignment and then the body shop owner contracted the job to a Monroe =
> Muffler who also refused to do it. I got my car back on Monday and the =
> alignment still isn't done. I can tell it's out of whack and I'm taking =
> it to a Ford dealer on Friday to get the alignment done with the body =
> shop footing the bill. Does anyone know if these subframes are OEM? I =
> don't see how they wouldn't be as it's a convertible car and it would =
> make sense to have them to keep down body flex.

Convertibles do come with some rather weak subframe connectors as I recall. Nothing
like the aftermarket ones. If you could put pictures up on the web, that would help.