Ford/Shelby To Build Ultimate Mustang

Old January 29th 05, 02:39 AM

Default Ford/Shelby To Build Ultimate Mustang

Imagine the quad-cam, supercharged, 5.4-liter, 550-horsepower engine
from the Ford GT supercar fitted between the frame rails of the new
Mustang. With this kind of heat under the hood, estimated performance
would likely be 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, and the 1/4 mile could be
scorched in the high 11-second range. Then imagine this Shelby Mustang
equipped with a beefed-up straight axle out back, in place of a IRS, to
keep the costs down. To keep the cost down...? Did we read that
right? Yep, it's _starting_ to sound like maybe Ford and Shelby have
decided to keep the next ultimate Mustang within reach of the common
man. Skeptical...? Well, consider the previous top-rung Mustang, the
SVT Cobra, is on hiatus, so maybe the Shelby 'Stang will replace Cobra
from it's throne. Not convinced? Well, the name Shelby Mustang Cobra
is being tossed around. Also, consider the '03 and '04 Terminator
Mustangs severely undercut the 2000 R and you have to wonder if maybe
this new ultimate Mustang might be priced under $40Gs, and could we
even see mid 30s?

At this point, it's a foregone conclusion that a Shelby Mustang is
coming. .. especially when Ford is now saying the Shelby
'Stang's performance target is the 500-horsepower, 500 cubic-inch Viper
and the new 7-liter, 550-horsepower Z06 Corvette. <draining my drool
cup> What's next... 600 HP...?

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD

Old January 29th 05, 05:23 AM
CobraJet

In article . com>,
> wrote:

> Imagine the quad-cam, supercharged, 5.4-liter, 550-horsepower engine
> from the Ford GT supercar fitted between the frame rails of the new
> Mustang. With this kind of heat under the hood, estimated performance
> would likely be 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, and the 1/4 mile could be
> scorched in the high 11-second range. Then imagine this Shelby Mustang
> equipped with a beefed-up straight axle out back, in place of a IRS, to
> keep the costs down. To keep the cost down...? Did we read that
> right? Yep, it's _starting_ to sound like maybe Ford and Shelby have
> decided to keep the next ultimate Mustang within reach of the common
> man. Skeptical...? Well, consider the previous top-rung Mustang, the
> SVT Cobra, is on hiatus, so maybe the Shelby 'Stang will replace Cobra
> from it's throne. Not convinced? Well, the name Shelby Mustang Cobra
> is being tossed around. Also, consider the '03 and '04 Terminator
> Mustangs severely undercut the 2000 R and you have to wonder if maybe
> this new ultimate Mustang might be priced under $40Gs, and could we
> even see mid 30s?
>
> At this point, it's a foregone conclusion that a Shelby Mustang is
> coming. .. especially when Ford is now saying the Shelby
> 'Stang's performance target is the 500-horsepower, 500 cubic-inch Viper
> and the new 7-liter, 550-horsepower Z06 Corvette. <draining my drool
> cup> What's next... 600 HP...?

Has anyone here asked his or her insurance company what the premium
would be on a 500-horsepower car?

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old January 29th 05, 05:00 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

Joe wrote:
> CobraJet > wrote in
> :
>

>>In article . com>,
> wrote:
>>

>>>Imagine the quad-cam, supercharged, 5.4-liter, 550-horsepower
>>>engine from the Ford GT supercar fitted between the frame rails of
>>>the new Mustang. With this kind of heat under the hood, estimated
>>>performance would likely be 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, and the
>>>1/4 mile could be scorched in the high 11-second range. Then
>>>imagine this Shelby Mustang equipped with a beefed-up straight axle
>>>out back, in place of a IRS, to keep the costs down. To keep the
>>>cost down...? Did we read that right? Yep, it's _starting_ to
>>>sound like maybe Ford and Shelby have decided to keep the next
>>>ultimate Mustang within reach of the common man. Skeptical...?
>>>Well, consider the previous top-rung Mustang, the SVT Cobra, is on
>>>hiatus, so maybe the Shelby 'Stang will replace Cobra from it's
>>>throne. Not convinced? Well, the name Shelby Mustang Cobra is
>>>being tossed around. Also, consider the '03 and '04 Terminator
>>>Mustangs severely undercut the 2000 R and you have to wonder if
>>>maybe this new ultimate Mustang might be priced under $40Gs, and
>>>could we even see mid 30s?
>>>
>>>At this point, it's a foregone conclusion that a Shelby Mustang is
>>>coming. .. especially when Ford is now saying the Shelby
>>>'Stang's performance target is the 500-horsepower, 500 cubic-inch
>>>Viper and the new 7-liter, 550-horsepower Z06 Corvette. <draining
>>>my drool cup> What's next... 600 HP...?

>> Has anyone here asked his or her insurance company what the
>> premium
>>would be on a 500-horsepower car?

> If you can afford to buy the car (_if_ it's ever made), you won't care
> what the insurance costs.
>
> And btw, where did the 'foregone conclusion that a Shelby Mustang is
> coming' come from? Gotta love these rumors that turn into fact just
> from wishful thinking...

Yup, I've seen too many vehicles that were supposedly coming to market
bearing the Shelby name that never arrived to take this very seriously.
Old January 29th 05, 05:40 PM
CobraJet

In article >, Joe
> wrote:

> CobraJet > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article . com>,
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Imagine the quad-cam, supercharged, 5.4-liter, 550-horsepower
> >> engine from the Ford GT supercar fitted between the frame rails of
> >> the new Mustang. With this kind of heat under the hood, estimated
> >> performance would likely be 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, and the
> >> 1/4 mile could be scorched in the high 11-second range. Then
> >> imagine this Shelby Mustang equipped with a beefed-up straight axle
> >> out back, in place of a IRS, to keep the costs down. To keep the
> >> cost down...? Did we read that right? Yep, it's _starting_ to
> >> sound like maybe Ford and Shelby have decided to keep the next
> >> ultimate Mustang within reach of the common man. Skeptical...?
> >> Well, consider the previous top-rung Mustang, the SVT Cobra, is on
> >> hiatus, so maybe the Shelby 'Stang will replace Cobra from it's
> >> throne. Not convinced? Well, the name Shelby Mustang Cobra is
> >> being tossed around. Also, consider the '03 and '04 Terminator
> >> Mustangs severely undercut the 2000 R and you have to wonder if
> >> maybe this new ultimate Mustang might be priced under $40Gs, and
> >> could we even see mid 30s?
> >>
> >> At this point, it's a foregone conclusion that a Shelby Mustang is
> >> coming. .. especially when Ford is now saying the Shelby
> >> 'Stang's performance target is the 500-horsepower, 500 cubic-inch
> >> Viper and the new 7-liter, 550-horsepower Z06 Corvette. <draining
> >> my drool cup> What's next... 600 HP...?

> > Has anyone here asked his or her insurance company what the
> > premium
> > would be on a 500-horsepower car?

> If you can afford to buy the car (_if_ it's ever made), you won't care
> what the insurance costs.

I can see that when you're looking at big buck exotics, but not with
a 35-40k car. After all, that's where a lot of SUV's are these days. I
could swallow 40k if I really really liked the car, but I've seen
payments for high hp rides that can almost double the cost. Then you
have the insurance companies that have a black list of cars they will
not insure under any circumstance. The "whole" cost of ownership needs
to be considered.

> And btw, where did the 'foregone conclusion that a Shelby Mustang is
> coming' come from? Gotta love these rumors that turn into fact just
> from wishful thinking...

We all know Patrick is on the PR payroll. I mean, face it, he does
stoke the fire a tad.

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old January 29th 05, 07:48 PM
JohnR66

If they did it would be a detuned engine. Why undermine the GT?

ups.com...

Old January 30th 05, 12:47 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Michael Johnson, PE opined

>> And btw, where did the 'foregone conclusion that a Shelby Mustang is
>> coming' come from? Gotta love these rumors that turn into fact just
>> from wishful thinking...

Maybe it's gonna be a new chili blend, Carroll's "Mustang Chili".. more
"kick" to it!

Old January 30th 05, 12:57 AM
RichA

On 28 Jan 2005 18:39:07 -0800, wrote:

>Imagine the quad-cam, supercharged, 5.4-liter, 550-horsepower engine
>from the Ford GT supercar fitted between the frame rails of the new
>Mustang. With this kind of heat under the hood, estimated performance
>would likely be 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, and the 1/4 mile could be
>scorched in the high 11-second range. Then imagine this Shelby Mustang
>equipped with a beefed-up straight axle out back, in place of a IRS, to
>keep the costs down. To keep the cost down...? Did we read that
>right? Yep, it's _starting_ to sound like maybe Ford and Shelby have
>decided to keep the next ultimate Mustang within reach of the common
>man. Skeptical...? Well, consider the previous top-rung Mustang, the
>SVT Cobra, is on hiatus, so maybe the Shelby 'Stang will replace Cobra
>from it's throne. Not convinced? Well, the name Shelby Mustang Cobra
>is being tossed around. Also, consider the '03 and '04 Terminator
>Mustangs severely undercut the 2000 R and you have to wonder if maybe
>this new ultimate Mustang might be priced under $40Gs, and could we
>even see mid 30s?
>
>At this point, it's a foregone conclusion that a Shelby Mustang is
>coming. .. especially when Ford is now saying the Shelby
>'Stang's performance target is the 500-horsepower, 500 cubic-inch Viper
>and the new 7-liter, 550-horsepower Z06 Corvette. <draining my drool
>cup> What's next... 600 HP...?
>
>Patrick
>'93 Cobra
>'83 LTD

Will it be a big a failure (reception wise) as the last Shelby Cobra
which is now dead?
-Rich
Old January 30th 05, 01:00 AM
CobraJet

In article >, Backyard Mechanic
> wrote:

> Michael Johnson, PE opined
>

> >> And btw, where did the 'foregone conclusion that a Shelby Mustang is
> >> coming' come from? Gotta love these rumors that turn into fact just
> >> from wishful thinking...

> Maybe it's gonna be a new chili blend, Carroll's "Mustang Chili".. more
> "kick" to it!

Hey, I'll fart to that!

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old January 30th 05, 05:34 AM
Mort Guffman

:

>> In article . com>,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Imagine the quad-cam, supercharged, 5.4-liter, 550-horsepower
>>> engine from the Ford GT supercar fitted between the frame rails of
>>> the new Mustang. With this kind of heat under the hood, estimated
>>> performance would likely be 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, and the
>>> 1/4 mile could be scorched in the high 11-second range. Then
>>> imagine this Shelby Mustang equipped with a beefed-up straight axle
>>> out back, in place of a IRS, to keep the costs down. To keep the
>>> cost down...? Did we read that right? Yep, it's _starting_ to
>>> sound like maybe Ford and Shelby have decided to keep the next
>>> ultimate Mustang within reach of the common man. Skeptical...?
>>> Well, consider the previous top-rung Mustang, the SVT Cobra, is on
>>> hiatus, so maybe the Shelby 'Stang will replace Cobra from it's
>>> throne. Not convinced? Well, the name Shelby Mustang Cobra is
>>> being tossed around. Also, consider the '03 and '04 Terminator
>>> Mustangs severely undercut the 2000 R and you have to wonder if
>>> maybe this new ultimate Mustang might be priced under $40Gs, and
>>> could we even see mid 30s?
>>>
>>> At this point, it's a foregone conclusion that a Shelby Mustang is
>>> coming. .. especially when Ford is now saying the Shelby
>>> 'Stang's performance target is the 500-horsepower, 500 cubic-inch
>>> Viper and the new 7-liter, 550-horsepower Z06 Corvette. <draining
>>> my drool cup> What's next... 600 HP...?

>> Has anyone here asked his or her insurance company what the
>> premium
>> would be on a 500-horsepower car?

>If you can afford to buy the car (_if_ it's ever made), you won't care
>what the insurance costs.
>
>And btw, where did the 'foregone conclusion that a Shelby Mustang is
>coming' come from? Gotta love these rumors that turn into fact just
>from wishful thinking...
>
>Joe
>Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
>Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

The new Motor Trend (March) has a good story on the 2007 Shelby
Mustang Cobra. It's a 5.4L 550HP without IRS.

This would be a fun car... They say it's gonna be the replacement for
the SVT Cobra.

Of course this is all speculation.

Mort
98 Cobra
Old February 15th 05, 05:25 AM
Nicodemus Telrenner

"JohnR66" > wrote in news:kMRKd.112999$w62.71800@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> If they did it would be a detuned engine. Why undermine the GT?

Why? The GT will still kick its butt. Adn the GT is only around 4 more
years. 5 year run, period.

They have this nice, powerful engine. Might as well put it to use.

BTW, wasn't the engine in the 1999(?) Cobra R a 5.4L?