Tire Rotation Question

Old July 8th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jacob

Default Tire Rotation Question

I have a '95 XLT and I bought a set of Michelin M/S tires at about 100,000
miles, and have had them rotated twice since then. They only rotate them
from front to back and vice versa, NOT from side to side. They told me that
side to side is not a good idea now, especially since I didn't have the side
to side rotation done on the first rotation. Is this correct? Should they
be rotated from side to side as well as front to back, or is front to back
ok. What should I do at my next rotation at 123,000 miles, which should be
in about 6 months? Thanks!

Old July 8th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bill Jeffrey[_1_]

Jacob wrote:

> I have a '95 XLT and I bought a set of Michelin M/S tires at about 100,000
> miles, and have had them rotated twice since then. They only rotate them
> from front to back and vice versa, NOT from side to side. They told me that
> side to side is not a good idea now, especially since I didn't have the side
> to side rotation done on the first rotation. Is this correct? Should they
> be rotated from side to side as well as front to back, or is front to back
> ok. What should I do at my next rotation at 123,000 miles, which should be
> in about 6 months? Thanks!

If you rotate from front to back, each tire ends up rotating in the same
direction as it did before.

If you rotate them from side to side, each tire ends up rotating
backwards from the way it rotated before. This is supposed to be bad
for radial tires - I'm not sure why.

Bill
Old July 8th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big Shoe

This is a case where you should read what the owners manual says and
do it that way. For years, Ford has recommended side to side for two
of the tires. Without going out in the driveway and checking, I think
it recommends moving the front two straight back and crossing the back
ones to the front. I think that comment about changing the direction
of rotation was true once upon a time, but not any longer. I have
been having tires rotated per Ford's recommendation every 5,000 miles
and have never had a problem with them (except for Firestones way back
when)

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:03:31 GMT, Bill Jeffrey

Old July 9th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Fred 2

I just did a rotation as per the ower's manual,

LR to LF, RR to RF

Original LF to RR, original RF to LR

This pattern compensate for edge wearing.

This rotaion pattern is okay unless you have unidirectional tires or
other special tires.

Stick with the same rotation scheme for the life of the tires.

Old July 9th 06, 10:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jacob

So is it too late to change to this rotation system now, since it has been
front to back, and vice versa for two rotations?

Old July 9th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

I'm sure you'll get many different opinions. When radials were first
introduced they warned against anything but front to back on the same
side. Concern was that the tread would separate from the casing. I
think that concern was dismissed about 15 - 20 years ago but old rules
die hard.

If it was still something to worry about how would one explain how a
radial spare might get used in any of the positions at different
times? Or that used tires are sold and installed every day and no one
has the slightest idea which side and which direction their were
original installed on.

just my $0.02

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 09:28:10 GMT, "Jacob" > wrote:

>So is it too late to change to this rotation system now, since it has been
>front to back, and vice versa for two rotations?
>
>"Fred 2" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I just did a rotation as per the ower's manual,
>>
>> LR to LF, RR to RF
>>
>> Original LF to RR, original RF to LR
>>
>> This pattern compensate for edge wearing.
>>
>> This rotaion pattern is okay unless you have unidirectional tires or
>> other special tires.
>>
>> Stick with the same rotation scheme for the life of the tires.
>>

>> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 14:30:57 GMT, "Jacob" > wrote:
>>
>>>I have a '95 XLT and I bought a set of Michelin M/S tires at about 100,000
>>>miles, and have had them rotated twice since then. They only rotate them
>>>from front to back and vice versa, NOT from side to side. They told me
>>>that
>>>side to side is not a good idea now, especially since I didn't have the
>>>side
>>>to side rotation done on the first rotation. Is this correct? Should
>>>they
>>>be rotated from side to side as well as front to back, or is front to back
>>>ok. What should I do at my next rotation at 123,000 miles, which should
>>>be
>>>in about 6 months? Thanks!

Tire air pressure question tomkanpa Chrysler 7 January 29th 06 05:12 AM
Question: Tire size for 15x8 rims, stock gears, mpg differences [email protected] Jeep 7 May 3rd 05 02:04 PM
tire ? wheel question wraithyjeep Jeep 1 April 26th 05 07:49 PM
Run Flat tire question H and A Corvette 36 January 16th 05 01:56 PM
Attn Tire experts. Tire valve stem question Jim Smith Saturn 1 June 17th 04 07:03 AM