Chevy Blazer Door Won't Open

Old October 26th 04, 02:25 AM
Spiderman

Default Chevy Blazer Door Won't Open

Long story short: The driver's side door handle on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer
was busted (wouldn't pull open the door). Ordered a replacement handle
online. Removed door panel, removed old handle and removed the rod/arm from
handle. Went to put in new handle and discovered they sent me the wrong part
(it was too big and the bolt holes don't line up). After venting some
frustration (hehe), screwed back in the broken handle without reconnect the
rod (would have been a waste of time). The parts place is sending me a new
handle....but in the meantime, the rod must have fallen inside the door
because I cannot open the door using the inner door handle/release (it feels
like its not pulling anything). How can I trigger the latch to release
without using either the exterior (broken) or internal (disconnected) door
handles? Is it still possible to remove the door panel without opening the
door?

Thanks.

Old October 26th 04, 08:07 AM
Scotty

Use other door!

Old October 26th 04, 09:01 AM
Spiderman

I AM using the other door....however, I would like to replace the outer door
handle when the correct replacement part arrives in a day or two. My problem
is that I have no way of opening the driver side door with either the
outside handle (currently broken) or the inside handle (rod not engaging the
latch)....it's essentialy "stuck"!

u...

Old October 26th 04, 11:02 AM
Scotty

Sounds like your lacking slightly in the mechanical skills (No insult
intended here) take it to the mechanics and pay to get it done right, then
if it stuffs up again in a month you can take it back to them and they
should do it for free under warrenty. Somtimes parting with cash is hard to
do but I always run with;

"The longest way round is usually the shortest way out!"

A rule that I always live by and most often save a heap of time and
agrovation.

Old October 26th 04, 05:57 PM
Bruce Chang

"Spiderman" > wrote in message
> Long story short: The driver's side door handle on my 1989 Chevy S10
> Blazer was busted (wouldn't pull open the door). Ordered a replacement
> handle online. Removed door panel, removed old handle and removed the
> rod/arm from handle. Went to put in new handle and discovered they sent me
> the wrong part (it was too big and the bolt holes don't line up). After
> venting some frustration (hehe), screwed back in the broken handle without
> reconnect the rod (would have been a waste of time). The parts place is
> sending me a new handle....but in the meantime, the rod must have fallen
> inside the door because I cannot open the door using the inner door
> handle/release (it feels like its not pulling anything). How can I trigger
> the latch to release without using either the exterior (broken) or
> internal (disconnected) door handles? Is it still possible to remove the
> door panel without opening the door?
>
> Thanks.

The latch is pretty easy to work, the only problem is getting to it. If you
look at some pictures of the lock about half way down the page he

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/memberpage/191601/18

That will give you an idea what you need to press. If you see the green
arrows pointing to "outer handle rod" that's what you'll need to hit.
You'll need a wooden dowel or the like to get it in the window slot and then
if you can probe around, you should be able to hit that rod and open the
door.

If you can't do that, then you might drill off the old handle and try to
stick the dowel in one of the mounting holes or the hole the actuating arm
fits through to hit the same thing. You'll probably have more space to play
with and get a better view of it from there.

That's the info I can get off the top of my head. Good luck.

-Bruce

Old October 26th 04, 08:58 PM
Spiderman

"Scotty" > wrote in message
u...
> Sounds like your lacking slightly in the mechanical skills (No insult
> intended here) take it to the mechanics and pay to get it done right, then
> if it stuffs up again in a month you can take it back to them and they
> should do it for free under warrenty. Somtimes parting with cash is hard
> to do but I always run with;
>
> "The longest way round is usually the shortest way out!"
>

> A rule that I always live by and most often save a heap of time and
> agrovation.

No not really. It's a super simple job....It only took me about 15 minutes
to remove the panel and broken handle. The problem is they sent me the wrong
part and I had nothing to connect the latch release rod to after removing it
from the broken handle. All I need to do is get back in the door after I get
the new handle and reconnect the rods. Why should I shell out cash for
something I can do myself? I already received some useful responses...thanks
for playing.