"Fifth Gear" TV show.

Old July 18th 04, 12:12 AM
George Graves

Default "Fifth Gear" TV show.

All you Brits:

Your "Top Gear" show has been repackaged and sold to Speed TV in the USA
as "Fifth Gear" and they started showing it here last week. One of the
cars they tested on the first week's shows (they run two episodes
back-to-back) was a 156 GTA. Some very attractive lady did the honors,
and I've got to tell you, even a cursory glance would show anyone that
she was having a blast! First of all, she kept breaking into this broad
smile every time she grabbed a gear or took a corner (which she did very
competently, I might add). While talking about the car to the camera,
she would start to giggle with unbridled pleasure at the car. She
obviously LOVED IT. Boy if I ever met a woman who got that kind pleasure
out of putting a car through its paces, I'd probably marry her! Anyway,
is this gal always this enthusiastic about her rides, or was the GTA a
special case?

--
George Graves
------------------

"This election is shaping up great. Our choices
are a guy who has a lot of second thoughts, or
a guy who has never had a first thought."
-- Jay Leno
Old July 18th 04, 12:14 AM
Catman

George Graves wrote:

> All you Brits:
>
> Your "Top Gear" show has been repackaged and sold to Speed TV in the USA
> as "Fifth Gear" and they started showing it here last week.

you sure? We have a prog here called Fifth Gear as well

>One of the
> cars they tested on the first week's shows (they run two episodes
> back-to-back) was a 156 GTA. Some very attractive lady did the honors,
> and I've got to tell you, even a cursory glance would show anyone that
> she was having a blast! First of all, she kept breaking into this broad
> smile every time she grabbed a gear or took a corner (which she did very
> competently, I might add). While talking about the car to the camera,
> she would start to giggle with unbridled pleasure at the car. She
> obviously LOVED IT. Boy if I ever met a woman who got that kind pleasure
> out of putting a car through its paces, I'd probably marry her! Anyway,
> is this gal always this enthusiastic about her rides, or was the GTA a
> special case?

Her name is Viki Butler-Henderson unless I miss my guess. She only gets
that excited about decent cars (her fave is the Lotus Elise)

'My' mechanic has been in a series with her Lucky *******

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 18th 04, 12:35 AM
Jake P

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 23:12:41 GMT, George Graves
> wrote:

>All you Brits:
>
>Your "Top Gear" show has been repackaged and sold to Speed TV in the USA
>as "Fifth Gear" and they started showing it here last week.

"Fifth Gear" appeared on Channel 5 and was fronted by a few ex "Top
Gear" presenters. It's actually a totally different programme. Top
Gear made a comeback recently, and it's much, much better now IMHO.

One of the
>cars they tested on the first week's shows (they run two episodes
>back-to-back) was a 156 GTA. Some very attractive lady did the honors,
>and I've got to tell you, even a cursory glance would show anyone that
>she was having a blast! First of all, she kept breaking into this broad
>smile every time she grabbed a gear or took a corner (which she did very
>competently, I might add). While talking about the car to the camera,
>she would start to giggle with unbridled pleasure at the car. She
>obviously LOVED IT. Boy if I ever met a woman who got that kind pleasure
>out of putting a car through its paces, I'd probably marry her! Anyway,
>is this gal always this enthusiastic about her rides, or was the GTA a
>special case?

That would be VBH, or Vicki Butler-Henderson. She's a qualified race
car instructor, so knows a thing or two about throwing cars around
tracks. Not just a pretty face.

Jake

Old July 18th 04, 12:45 AM
George Graves

In article >,
Jake P > wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 23:12:41 GMT, George Graves
> > wrote:
>
> >All you Brits:
> >
> >Your "Top Gear" show has been repackaged and sold to Speed TV in the USA
> >as "Fifth Gear" and they started showing it here last week.

> "Fifth Gear" appeared on Channel 5 and was fronted by a few ex "Top
> Gear" presenters. It's actually a totally different programme. Top
> Gear made a comeback recently, and it's much, much better now IMHO.

OK, that's what I get for assuming.

> One of the
> >cars they tested on the first week's shows (they run two episodes
> >back-to-back) was a 156 GTA. Some very attractive lady did the honors,
> >and I've got to tell you, even a cursory glance would show anyone that
> >she was having a blast! First of all, she kept breaking into this broad
> >smile every time she grabbed a gear or took a corner (which she did very
> >competently, I might add). While talking about the car to the camera,
> >she would start to giggle with unbridled pleasure at the car. She
> >obviously LOVED IT. Boy if I ever met a woman who got that kind pleasure
> >out of putting a car through its paces, I'd probably marry her! Anyway,
> >is this gal always this enthusiastic about her rides, or was the GTA a
> >special case?

> That would be VBH, or Vicki Butler-Henderson. She's a qualified race
> car instructor, so knows a thing or two about throwing cars around
> tracks. Not just a pretty face.

She's a wow in my book. Good looks AND loves great cars. What a combo!

--
George Graves
------------------

Happiness is driving an Alfa Romeo
Old July 18th 04, 12:46 AM
Tony Rickard

"George Graves" wrote:

> Your "Top Gear" show has been repackaged and sold to Speed TV in the USA
> as "Fifth Gear" and they started showing it here last week. One of the
> cars they tested on the first week's shows (they run two episodes
> back-to-back) was a 156 GTA. Some very attractive lady did the honors,
> and I've got to tell you, even a cursory glance would show anyone that
> she was having a blast!

Do you mean this one?

http://www.vb-h.net/5g2002/5g27050212.jpg

That is Vicki Butler-Henderson. She has her own fan site:

http://www.vb-h.net/

The road test is available here (with subtitles in Dutch)

http://www.fimonet.com/alfa/alfa_gb.wmv

Cheers
Tony

Old July 18th 04, 12:46 AM
George Graves

In article >,
Catman > wrote:

> George Graves wrote:
>
> > All you Brits:
> >
> > Your "Top Gear" show has been repackaged and sold to Speed TV in the USA
> > as "Fifth Gear" and they started showing it here last week.

> you sure? We have a prog here called Fifth Gear as well

No, I'm not sure, I'm assuming.

> >One of the
> > cars they tested on the first week's shows (they run two episodes
> > back-to-back) was a 156 GTA. Some very attractive lady did the honors,
> > and I've got to tell you, even a cursory glance would show anyone that
> > she was having a blast! First of all, she kept breaking into this broad
> > smile every time she grabbed a gear or took a corner (which she did very
> > competently, I might add). While talking about the car to the camera,
> > she would start to giggle with unbridled pleasure at the car. She
> > obviously LOVED IT. Boy if I ever met a woman who got that kind pleasure
> > out of putting a car through its paces, I'd probably marry her! Anyway,
> > is this gal always this enthusiastic about her rides, or was the GTA a
> > special case?

> Her name is Viki Butler-Henderson unless I miss my guess. She only gets
> that excited about decent cars (her fave is the Lotus Elise)
>
> 'My' mechanic has been in a series with her Lucky *******

Yep. He sure is.

--
George Graves
------------------

Happiness is driving an Alfa Romeo
Old July 18th 04, 05:32 PM
Pete

wrote:

> Boy if I ever met a woman who got that kind pleasure
>out of putting a car through its paces, I'd probably marry her!

I did meet one, and I did marry her <BWG>

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old July 19th 04, 07:16 AM
MeatballTurbo

In article >,
spouted forth into alt.autos.alfa-romeo...
> In article > ,
> MeatballTurbo > wrote:
>
> > In article >,

spouted forth into alt.autos.alfa-romeo...
> > > Your "Top Gear" show has been repackaged and sold to Speed TV in the USA
> > > as "Fifth Gear" and they started showing it here last week.
> > >

> > We have fifth gear here too, it sounds like you have that.
> >
> > It features most of the final team of the old "topgear" that was a BBC
> > production that canned, so they went to Channel 5 and renamed it.
> >
> > Then the BBC decided it wanted it back but couldn't have it, so the only
> > remaining member of the Old "topgear" team, Jeremy Clarkson got together
> > with a few of the journalists from the "topgear" print magazine who had
> > done a bit of Cable and Satalite TV work, and got it going again with a
> > slightly different slant to it.
> >
> > If it was a girl going mad in a fast car, that sounds like VBH (Vicki
> > Butler Henderson), and yes a lot of guys her would offer to marry her
> > too, how often do you find a good looking, posh bird with such a dirty
> > grin and accent, who gets turned on by driving fast cars, and knows
> > something about them. Sounds like you guys are gettting 5th gear, not
> > Topgear, so you can look forward to that too on BBC America.

> Really? Is BBC America going to start carrying Top Gear? Do you know
> when?

I don't know, but I imagine it would be the kind of program that might
cross over, except that Clarkson does nothing but insult American cars,
the few times he gets to test them (except the hummer which he loved
except it was too big, and the Ford GT which has now bought).
--
Carl Robson
(The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

gear knob removal NC Alfa Romeo 0 June 22nd 04 07:56 AM
156 gear knob replacement fmt Alfa Romeo 3 June 1st 04 07:44 PM
147GTA and 166 on Top Gear Pete Alfa Romeo 5 May 24th 04 09:38 AM
156 Selespeed 'clunk' changing into 1st gear Mike Alfa Romeo 3 May 8th 04 02:49 PM
SELESPEED MISSING 4th GEAR ramskov Alfa Romeo 1 May 1st 04 10:26 AM