Bad Drivers

Old July 13th 05, 11:07 PM
KLS

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:57:39 -0400, Dave LaCourse
> wrote:

>I didn't take the NJ turnpike. I used I84 and I81 to avoid NY, NJ,
>MD, and DC. You are correct about Mass drivers, but they aren't as
>bad as VA or CT, and we won't even mention NY. d;o)

If you mean NY drivers as in the NYC area, ok. But in western NY,
we're not so bad, really! Quite a few of us have the good sense to
own/drive Audi Quattros and Subarus.
Old July 15th 05, 12:32 AM
Mike Smith

KLS wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:54:39 -0400, Dave LaCourse
> > wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:05:10 -0400, Mike Smith
> wrote:
>>

>>>that you must stay right when
>>>not passing. That sure would be nice, but it just ain't so.

>>Most states that I am familiar with have a "keep right except to pass"
>>traffic law, and you will see the signs saying so. Some states even
>>give a diagram sign that points out the passing lane, travel lane, and
>>merge/slow lane.

> This is what I see where I drive, mostly in New York and Ohio.

I've lived in New York State since I was 5 years old, and I have never
seen such a diagram on a highway sign. Sure, at intersections, the
turning vs. through lanes are often painted on the road, but signs on
major highways enforcing rechtsfahren? Tell me where.

--
Mike Smith
Old July 15th 05, 02:59 AM
Dave LaCourse

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:32:38 -0400, Mike Smith
> wrote:

>Tell me where.

Mass, CT, and NY. NY has a sign saying "passing lane/travel lane/slow
lane". Common sense should be enough for a driver to know not to
drive below the speed limit in the fast lane. Common sense should be
enough for a driver to know that he has traffic stacked up behind him
while in the fast lane. But, then again, ain't too many US drivers
with common sense. Take a trip to Europe - you'll learn real quickly.

Old July 15th 05, 03:09 AM
Dave LaCourse

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:32:38 -0400, Mike Smith
> wrote:

>Tell me where.

Forgot to ask: Do you agree the law says "keep right except to pass"?

Old July 15th 05, 08:18 AM
Guy King

The message >
from Dave LaCourse > contains these words:

> Take a trip to Europe - you'll learn real quickly.

Particularly in the UK. Driving on the wrong side of the road's a very
short steep learning curve, and falling off it hurts.

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Old July 15th 05, 09:59 AM
Dave

>> Take a trip to Europe - you'll learn real quickly.
>
> Particularly in the UK. Driving on the wrong side of the road's a very
> short steep learning curve, and falling off it hurts.

LOL

Old July 15th 05, 12:42 PM
KLS

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:59:15 -0400, Dave LaCourse
> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:32:38 -0400, Mike Smith
> wrote:
>
>>Tell me where.

>Mass, CT, and NY. NY has a sign saying "passing lane/travel lane/slow
>lane". Common sense should be enough for a driver to know not to
>drive below the speed limit in the fast lane. Common sense should be
>enough for a driver to know that he has traffic stacked up behind him
>while in the fast lane. But, then again, ain't too many US drivers
>with common sense. Take a trip to Europe - you'll learn real quickly.

What Dave said, about both the sign and the European driving
experience.

Old July 15th 05, 04:15 PM
Art M

"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:32:38 -0400, Mike Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>Tell me where.

> Forgot to ask: Do you agree the law says "keep right except to pass"?

I think it's more of a suggestion than something that could get you a
ticket. The wording may be different. I seem to remember the NJ turnpike
signs read "slower traffic keep right". Additionally trucks are not allowed
in the left lane there (though at some points they have their own lanes).

The thing that I notice about the "fast" lane is that many seem to think
their amount of speeding is all right, but anything faster is just crazy so
they're not moving over.

--Art

Old July 15th 05, 04:53 PM

Art M wrote:
> "Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:32:38 -0400, Mike Smith
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>Tell me where.

> > Forgot to ask: Do you agree the law says "keep right except to pass"?

> I think it's more of a suggestion than something that could get you a
> ticket.

In most states, "keep right except to pass" is codified into law. When
it's posted on rectangular black&white signs (like speed limit signs),
it's not advisory. (Like diamond black and yellow signs.)

Enforcement is just about non-existant, however.

E.P.

Old July 15th 05, 05:07 PM
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:15:11 -0400, "Art M"
> wrote:

>The thing that I notice about the "fast" lane is that many seem to think
>their amount of speeding is all right, but anything faster is just crazy so
>they're not moving over.

In other words they are saying, "I will select your speed limit."
Never escalate. Never impede. If I am traveling in the fast lane, it
is because I am passing someone, or I am in a line of traffic. When I
pass someone, I pull into the right (or center) lane, especially if
there is someone behind me. He wants to go faster -- who am I to deny
him? Left lane bandits are more dangerous than speeders - not as
dangerous as tailgaters, but right up there with causes for accidents.

Dave

BTW, the signs I saw were in CT. Mass has "keep right except to pass"
as many (all) states have.

The Nation's Worst Drivers [email protected] Ford Mustang 22 May 31st 05 01:56 AM
Drives me crazy MidnightDad Driving 35 April 26th 05 03:05 AM
SUV drivers MidnightDad Driving 60 April 1st 05 08:03 PM
Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 01:37 AM
Truck Drivers Needed Trucking Recruiter 4x4 0 April 14th 04 01:33 PM