Engine squeal in late-80s stang

Old December 16th 04, 07:48 PM

Default Engine squeal in late-80s stang

Asking for a friend here, so forgive me if I'm short on details... a
friend just picked up a late-80s model Mustang (302 I think, but don't
quote me on that) and is getting a squealing noise from under the hood.
He says it sounds similar to a belt squeal, but it's NOT the belts, as
he's removed them all and the noise persists. Also, it only happens
under acceleration.

This is hard to do a Google search on as 90% of searches including
"squeal" turn up hits on "tire squeal"

Replies to email are appreciated, as I don't check this group
regularly. Thanks in advance...

Old December 17th 04, 03:43 AM
CrazyDave

duh

Old December 17th 04, 09:50 PM

Now *THAT* was an intelligent response lemme tell ya!

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

"BeverlyOmasta" > wrote in message
> >ubject: Engine squeal in late-80s stang
> >Date: 12/17/04 1:53 PM Eastern Standard Time
> >
> >If people don't know why would they post? Just to make the

> Didnt

daddy

Old December 17th 04, 10:03 PM

Again.. you amaze me with such intelligence. Where, oh where did you ever
gain such wisdom??

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake
FRPP 3.73 gears
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo)
Hi-speed fan switch
255/60R-15 rear tires
Subframe connectors

"BeverlyOmasta" > wrote in message
> >late-80s stang
> >Date: 12/17/04 3:50 PM Eastern Standard Time
> >
> >Now *THAT* was an intelligent response lemme tell ya!

> Thank you, but that doesnt mean that much to me coming from a person with

the

Old December 18th 04, 02:37 AM
Matt Ion

Dinsdale wrote:

> On 17 Dec 2004 19:46:41 GMT, (BeverlyOmasta)
> wrote:
>

>>>Remember the bit where I said he removed all the belts and the noise
>>>persists?

>>Try removing the compressor or getting a new one... Just remove it and see what
>>happens...Sorry i said belts, i must of been thinking about belts since it was
>>in your post..UGH

> Well...an A/C compressor making noise without a belt seems like a
> stretch...so here's a few more...

That's what I thought

> Is it a manual transmission? If so, maybe the throw-out bearing is
> howling....although it would probably be different during shifts...
> (expert advice needed here)

I suspected a bearing might be a possibility, although exactly which
one(s) would only squeal under load/acceleration has me stumped. Didn't
think of the throwout - don't know offhand if it's standard or auto,
but I'll pass that on.

> I guess another source could be an air intake issue...a leak whistling
> under acceleration....and on that note, maybe a vacuum leak.
> (oye..the limbs are getting thin out here!)

Ah, good idea... my Honda Accord had this problem now and then (blasted
'87, last year they made'em with a carb, and about 5,000 different
vaccuum hoses meant it was easy to overlook a loose one

> I'd even go out on a further limb and look for anything that may be
> scraping the balancer...like the timing pointer. (but that would
> probably not happen just under acceleration)

Hmm, true, but maybe that's a pointer (yok yok) in the right
direction... if something on the body/frame is contacting something
moving on the engine when the engine mounts flex under acceleration.
Could also be enhanced if engine mounts are weak. I'll pass that on as
well, thanks.

> If it's a 4 cyl, it could be the timing belt...it could be rubbing on
> the housing or the belt tensioner bearing is going bad.

I don't remember if it's a 6 or an 8; I know it's not a 4. We thought
of a timing belt right off, but it's a chain-drive, and a rubbing chain
makes a very different noise

Thanks again for the suggestions!