Brake light on?

Old December 5th 04, 09:10 PM
Nicknotnicky

Default Brake light on?

Has anyone come across the problem of their Brake Light coming on for no
apparent reason? This is a 92 5.0. Parking brake is off, master cylinder seems
full. The car stops fine. Possibe sensor issue?
Any Ideas?
http://hometown.aol.com/nicknotnicky...e/profile.html
Old December 5th 04, 10:57 PM
SVTKate

It could be the brake light switch is stuck in the down position...

Kate

Old December 5th 04, 11:15 PM
Lonnie

I'm sure there are much more qualified to answer this question but maybe the
headlight switch could be causing this problem? Seems like a possibility to
me but I'm sure others will have more knowlegeable suggestions.

Old December 6th 04, 12:34 AM
351CJ

My original thought, but out of adjustment, but then I decided he meant the
brake warning light on the dash, not the brake lights...

ink.net...

Old December 6th 04, 01:03 AM

My parking brake light was staying illuminated on the dash... if you are
talking about this... then my problem was the switch itself located in the
middle console (dunno about your car) touching some metal & causing it to
stay on..

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

Old December 6th 04, 01:37 AM
Richard

Usually three reasons.
Ebrake not fully released or switch sticking.
Low brake fluid in master cylinder.
Pressure imbalance between front and rear braking system (most serious).

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

Old December 6th 04, 12:03 PM
SVTKate

"351CJ" > wrote in message news:PONsd.310$4E6.133@trnddc06...
| My original thought, but out of adjustment, but then I decided he meant
the
| brake warning light on the dash, not the brake lights...

I believe you;re right.
I suppose we will never know since he is not responding... hmm... ?

Old December 6th 04, 11:45 PM
Nicknotnicky

Thanks all. Yes I'm sorry I should have been more clear. The light I am
referring to is the "idiot light" on the dash. I'll check for a switch in the
console. Beyond that, I guess it's a trip to the mechanic...
http://hometown.aol.com/nicknotnicky...e/profile.html
Old December 7th 04, 06:54 PM
Mike R

In article >,
(Nicknotnicky) wrote:

> Thanks all. Yes I'm sorry I should have been more clear. The light I am
> referring to is the "idiot light" on the dash. I'll check for a switch in the
> console. Beyond that, I guess it's a trip to the mechanic...

http://hometown.aol.com/nicknotnicky...e/profile.html

Three circuits will trigger the brake warning lamp:

* Brake fluid level switch (master cylinder)
* Parking (emergency) brake switch
* Ignition switch (start position for bulb prove-out)

FWIW, this is what I would try with the symptom being intermittent:

Remove the center console and inspect the parking brake switch adjustment,
loose mounting h/w, etc. If ok, disconnect the connecter at the parking
brake switch, removing it from the circuit. Drive around and test. If
problem clears, adjust or replace the parking brake switch.

If brake warning lamp still randomly illuminates, check the m/c brake
fluid level. Ok, you've obviously done this. Remove the connector at the
m/c. Short the two pink with white trace wires with a jumper and leave
connecter disconnected. This will remove the brake fluid level switch
while maintaining the ignition switch (prove-out) circuit. Drive around
and test. If problem clears, the brake fluid level switch is defective.

If the symptom still persists, either there's an intermittent shorted wire
(pink/white trace) to chassis on the grounding side of the warning lamp or
possibly an issue with the ignition switch...

--
Mike
93 Cobra
Old December 7th 04, 11:37 PM
Nicknotnicky

(Nicknotnicky) wrote:

>> Thanks all. Yes I'm sorry I should have been more clear. The light I am
>> referring to is the "idiot light" on the dash. I'll check for a switch in

>the
>> console. Beyond that, I guess it's a trip to the mechanic...

http://hometown.aol.com/nicknotnicky...e/profile.html

>Three circuits will trigger the brake warning lamp:
>
>* Brake fluid level switch (master cylinder)
>* Parking (emergency) brake switch
>* Ignition switch (start position for bulb prove-out)
>
>FWIW, this is what I would try with the symptom being intermittent:
>
>Remove the center console and inspect the parking brake switch adjustment,
>loose mounting h/w, etc. If ok, disconnect the connecter at the parking
>brake switch, removing it from the circuit. Drive around and test. If
>problem clears, adjust or replace the parking brake switch.
>
>If brake warning lamp still randomly illuminates, check the m/c brake
>fluid level. Ok, you've obviously done this. Remove the connector at the
>m/c. Short the two pink with white trace wires with a jumper and leave
>connecter disconnected. This will remove the brake fluid level switch
>while maintaining the ignition switch (prove-out) circuit. Drive around
>and test. If problem clears, the brake fluid level switch is defective.
>
>If the symptom still persists, either there's an intermittent shorted wire
>(pink/white trace) to chassis on the grounding side of the warning lamp or
>possibly an issue with the ignition switch...
>
>--
>Mike
>93 Cobra

Sounds like you have some experience in this area Mike! The light is not
coming on intermittently, it's constantly on. Does that make a difference or
narrow it down any further ?
Thanks

Nick
http://hometown.aol.com/nicknotnicky...e/profile.html