Rocks in a box of glass...

Old July 9th 04, 07:48 PM
RedForeman

Default Rocks in a box of glass...

I went down to the river and gathered several buckets of large-ish rocks, to
put in the 55g. I had attempted to do several things with it, but as many
have said before, a 55g 4' tank, is limited, it's the depth that gets ya...

So I'm going to organize a mound that reaches 3/4 to the top, stacked on one
side, with a small pile on the other end. Something like this.
______________________________________
| Q ____--- _____ O |
| / \__/ \ O _______ |
| / \ O / \ |
|_/________________\_____/_________\____|

Q- powerhead
--- canister filter output
O canister filter input

ok, so are my filters positioned ok or could they be improved upon?? The
right side seems to need something to continue pushing the water around... I
have another powerhead, but don't want to create a whirlpool... hahaha...
anyway....

It's planned to be a malawi tank, mostly zebras and peacocks... Do they have
issues with currents????

Other than that, I had thoughts of putting instead of the malawis,
Curviceps, Severums and Kribs... So Curviceps and Severums are SA cichlids,
and the kribs are africans... but all tolerate a wide pH range, right? the
SAs like harder water, which will be ok, and if the kribs dont' like it,
there will be other accomodations arranged, very easily....

So whattaya think about the 'plan'??

--
| RedForeman fabricator and creator of the ratbike streetfighter!!!
| ==========================
| 2003 TRX450ES
| 1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale)
| '98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted....
| ==========================
| `,,`,,`,,`,, `,,`
|| ((((`..`..`.. (((( `. , .`.. ((((
| for any questions you may have....
is that better??

Old July 9th 04, 10:56 PM
Amateur Cichlids

"RedForeman " wrote in message
[...]

If you go with the Malawi's, I wouldn't mix Mbuna with Peacocks.
Aulonocara species are not as aggressive as the Metriaclima and
Pseudotropheus species. That, and a 55 is really too small for most Zebra's.
(Well, all zebra's IMO. ) Also, the Aulonocara would benefit from a varied
diet, including white worms and brine shrimp occassionally, where the
Metriaclima species should be a diet of spirulina for the most part.

South American cichlids enjoy soft acidic water. It's the Central
American cichlids that like hard alkaline water. I currently have Severums
with Curviceps and the Severums are a bit hard on them. I'd suggest a pair
of curviceps and a pair of kribs, then the rest of the tank filling with
dither fish. There are numerous varieties of rainbow fish that are quite
attractive.
Amateur

Old July 10th 04, 06:39 PM
NetMax

|_/________________\_____/_________\____|

[...]

I agree. While you could compromise on the dietary requirements, the
available space will just not accommodate that mix when they age.
Another option is to stay with smaller Africans. Instead of
Metriclima/Pseudotropheus, look into Neolamprologous, Julidrochromis and
other small rock dwellers. Of the Pseudotropheus, Demasoni are still an
option, but I think they compromise your menu again, and the Neos/Julies
don't. With this mix, you might have 3 of the smaller Auloncara or other
open water types, or just go into dither fish as Amateur suggested.

I've had better experiences with Curviceps & Severums co-habituating, but
they all started together young and they had their own 'playgrounds'. I
think your setup would accommodate both and some Kribs, though there
would be some growing adjustments when the Kribs spawned, and then later
when the Curviceps spawned (I'm thinking curviceps such as Acaras or
smaller).

Call me a fool, but I'd even put a half-dozen Rams in there for about a
month before adding the other fish (and some dither, Scissortail rasbora,
Torpedo barbs etc). Ordinarily, the Rams would be pushed out, but with
enough rockwork (as indicated), and starting with the Rams first, then
juvenile Kribs (4 or 5), then juvenile Acaras (3 or 4), and then juvenile
Severums (4 or 5, or split the quantity with some Flag cichlids 3+3?),
you just might hit a mostly happy equilibrium.

*Warning*, my advice often pushes the envelope (and I use my other tanks
for overflow & problem resolution). Seek other experienced and more
conservative advice before you decide anything ;~)
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old July 10th 04, 10:51 PM
John

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:48:02 -0400, "RedForeman "
wrote:

[...]

Also, Red, be aware that the typical 55 gallon tank is very much an
ecomony tank, and is not all that sturdy. My concern is that you have
collected what sounds like quite a few pounds of Tennessee river rock
and plan to pile it high. I advise caution here!

Use florescent lighting diffusers (eggcrate) under the rock to
distribute the stress on the glass bottom. Also, silicone your rocks
into "subassemblies" using groups of 3 or 4 rocks. Then you can
inter-lock these to create rockwork that is less likely to shift and
fall against the side glass. Have fun!

John
Old July 12th 04, 03:48 PM
RedForeman

|||| Q ____--- _____ O |
|||| / \__/ \ O _______ |
|||| | _/________________\_____/_________\____|
||| Q- powerhead
||| --- canister filter output
||| O canister filter input
||| ok, so are my filters positioned ok or could they be improved
||| upon?? The right side seems to need something to continue pushing
||| the water around... I have another powerhead, but don't want to
||| create a whirlpool... hahaha... anyway....
||| It's planned to be a malawi tank, mostly zebras and peacocks... Do
||| they have issues with currents????
||| Other than that, I had thoughts of putting instead of the malawis,
||| Curviceps, Severums and Kribs... So Curviceps and Severums are SA
||| cichlids, and the kribs are africans... but all tolerate a wide pH
||| range, right? the SAs like harder water, which will be ok, and if
||| the kribs dont' like it, there will be other accomodations
||| arranged, very easily....
||| So whattaya think about the 'plan'??
|| Red
|| If you go with the Malawi's, I wouldn't mix Mbuna with Peacocks.
|| Aulonocara species are not as aggressive as the Metriaclima and
|| Pseudotropheus species. That, and a 55 is really too small for most
|| Zebra's. (Well, all zebra's IMO. ) Also, the Aulonocara would
|| benefit from a varied diet, including white worms and brine shrimp
|| occassionally, where the Metriaclima species should be a diet of
|| spirulina for the most part.
|| South American cichlids enjoy soft acidic water. It's the Central
|| American cichlids that like hard alkaline water. I currently have
|| Severums with Curviceps and the Severums are a bit hard on them. I'd
|| suggest a pair of curviceps and a pair of kribs, then the rest of
|| the tank filling with dither fish. There are numerous varieties of
|| rainbow fish that are quite attractive.
|| Amateur

Thanks for that... I'm always on the fence about which direction to go,
sometimes I try to mix it up, but it seems it's not the best idea...

Warning heeded...

Old July 12th 04, 03:50 PM
RedForeman

|||| Q ____--- _____ O |
|||| / \__/ \ O _______ |
|||| | _/________________\_____/_________\____|
||| Q- powerhead
||| --- canister filter output
||| O canister filter input
||| ok, so are my filters positioned ok or could they be improved
||| upon?? The right side seems to need something to continue pushing
||| the water around... I have another powerhead, but don't want to
||| create a whirlpool... hahaha... anyway....
||| It's planned to be a malawi tank, mostly zebras and peacocks... Do
||| they have issues with currents????
||| Other than that, I had thoughts of putting instead of the malawis,
||| Curviceps, Severums and Kribs... So Curviceps and Severums are SA
||| cichlids, and the kribs are africans... but all tolerate a wide pH
||| range, right? the SAs like harder water, which will be ok, and if
||| the kribs dont' like it, there will be other accomodations
||| arranged, very easily....
||| So whattaya think about the 'plan'??
|| Also, Red, be aware that the typical 55 gallon tank is very much an
|| ecomony tank, and is not all that sturdy. My concern is that you have
|| collected what sounds like quite a few pounds of Tennessee river rock
|| and plan to pile it high. I advise caution here!
|| Use florescent lighting diffusers (eggcrate) under the rock to
|| distribute the stress on the glass bottom. Also, silicone your rocks
|| into "subassemblies" using groups of 3 or 4 rocks. Then you can
|| inter-lock these to create rockwork that is less likely to shift and
|| fall against the side glass. Have fun!
|| John

That has been a worry of mine, since I got the rocks... but am hoping to not
create too much stress on the underlying floor... the tanks been well
'braced' so to speak... several layers of plywood under it to disperse the
weight... the glass on the other hand, it's not an economy model it's got
4.5mm glass... seems ok, double braced across the top and bottom... I'll
have to dbl check that tonite...

Old July 12th 04, 03:52 PM
RedForeman

||||| Q ____--- _____ O |
||||| / \__/ \ O _______ |
||||| _/________________\_____/_________\____|
||| Red
||| If you go with the Malawi's, I wouldn't mix Mbuna with Peacocks.
||| Aulonocara species are not as aggressive as the Metriaclima and
||| Pseudotropheus species. That, and a 55 is really too small for most
||| Zebra's. (Well, all zebra's IMO. ) Also, the Aulonocara would
||| benefit from a varied diet, including white worms and brine shrimp
||| occassionally, where the Metriaclima species should be a diet of
||| spirulina for the most part.
||| South American cichlids enjoy soft acidic water. It's the
||| Central American cichlids that like hard alkaline water. I
||| currently have Severums with Curviceps and the Severums are a bit
||| hard on them. I'd suggest a pair of curviceps and a pair of kribs,
||| then the rest of the tank filling with dither fish. There are
||| numerous varieties of rainbow fish that are quite attractive.
||| Amateur
|| I agree. While you could compromise on the dietary requirements, the
|| available space will just not accommodate that mix when they age.
|| Another option is to stay with smaller Africans. Instead of
|| Metriclima/Pseudotropheus, look into Neolamprologous, Julidrochromis
|| and other small rock dwellers. Of the Pseudotropheus, Demasoni are
|| still an option, but I think they compromise your menu again, and
|| the Neos/Julies don't. With this mix, you might have 3 of the
|| smaller Auloncara or other open water types, or just go into dither
|| fish as Amateur suggested.
|| I've had better experiences with Curviceps & Severums
|| co-habituating, but they all started together young and they had
|| their own 'playgrounds'. I think your setup would accommodate both
|| and some Kribs, though there would be some growing adjustments when
|| the Kribs spawned, and then later when the Curviceps spawned (I'm
|| thinking curviceps such as Acaras or smaller).
|| Call me a fool, but I'd even put a half-dozen Rams in there for
|| about a month before adding the other fish (and some dither,
|| Scissortail rasbora, Torpedo barbs etc). Ordinarily, the Rams would
|| be pushed out, but with enough rockwork (as indicated), and starting
|| with the Rams first, then juvenile Kribs (4 or 5), then juvenile
|| Acaras (3 or 4), and then juvenile Severums (4 or 5, or split the
|| quantity with some Flag cichlids 3+3?), you just might hit a mostly
|| happy equilibrium.
|| *Warning*, my advice often pushes the envelope (and I use my other
|| tanks for overflow & problem resolution). Seek other experienced
|| and more conservative advice before you decide anything ;~)
|| --
|| www.NetMax.tk

That's why I asked these silly questions to get those envelope pushing
answers... But I will put another couple of weeks of thought into it...
Get the research done, and it'll still be a month before I do it...

Old July 13th 04, 04:18 AM
NetMax

|||| Q ____--- _____ O |
|||| / \__/ \ O _______ |
|||| | _/________________\_____/_________\____|
||| Q- powerhead
||| --- canister filter output
||| O canister filter input
||| ok, so are my filters positioned ok or could they be improved
||| upon?? The right side seems to need something to continue pushing
||| the water around... I have another powerhead, but don't want to
||| create a whirlpool... hahaha... anyway....
||| It's planned to be a malawi tank, mostly zebras and peacocks... Do
||| they have issues with currents????
||| Other than that, I had thoughts of putting instead of the malawis,
||| Curviceps, Severums and Kribs... So Curviceps and Severums are SA
||| cichlids, and the kribs are africans... but all tolerate a wide pH
||| range, right? the SAs like harder water, which will be ok, and if
||| the kribs dont' like it, there will be other accomodations
||| arranged, very easily....
||| So whattaya think about the 'plan'??
|| Also, Red, be aware that the typical 55 gallon tank is very much an
|| ecomony tank, and is not all that sturdy. My concern is that you

have
|| collected what sounds like quite a few pounds of Tennessee river

rock
|| and plan to pile it high. I advise caution here!
|| Use florescent lighting diffusers (eggcrate) under the rock to
|| distribute the stress on the glass bottom. Also, silicone your rocks
|| into "subassemblies" using groups of 3 or 4 rocks. Then you can
|| inter-lock these to create rockwork that is less likely to shift and
|| fall against the side glass. Have fun!
|| John

That has been a worry of mine, since I got the rocks... but am hoping

to not
create too much stress on the underlying floor... the tanks been well
'braced' so to speak... several layers of plywood under it to disperse

the
weight... the glass on the other hand, it's not an economy model it's

got
4.5mm glass... seems ok, double braced across the top and bottom...

I'll
have to dbl check that tonite...

4.5mm!? Must be a typo, maybe 14.5mm! I'd expect the base of a 55g to
be 12 to 15mm thick. I think Red is just checking to see how carefully
we are reading his posts ;~)

btw, excellent points from John.
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old July 13th 04, 03:04 PM
RedForeman

|| 4.5mm!? Must be a typo, maybe 14.5mm! I'd expect the base of a 55g
|| to be 12 to 15mm thick. I think Red is just checking to see how
|| carefully we are reading his posts ;~)
|| btw, excellent points from John.
|| --
|| www.NetMax.tk

Maybe a typo, wasn't actually thinking at the time, but yep, 4.5mm is WAY
too small... I'll have to yank out the ole micrometer and check that.. I
forgot lastnight....

it's not an AGA tank, but it's not bowing like my unbraced 29g is... it's
1/2" out in the center... almost scary...

--

www.gmail.com

Old February 23rd 11, 05:15 PM
keviinpiter keviinpiter is offline
Junior Member

South American cichlids enjoy the soft acidic water. This is the Central American cichlids like hard alkaline water. I now have Severums with Curviceps and Severums is they are a bit hard. I suggest a pair of curviceps and kribs, and then shake the remaining fish tanks filled. There are many varieties of fish, the rainbow is quite attractive.

Where to get replacement hinges for glass top MarkW382 Reefs 6 July 15th 04 04:14 PM
Dieing Rocks are stablising. skozzy Reefs 5 December 21st 03 01:22 PM
What do I use to stick rocks together ? NetMax General 7 August 28th 03 02:48 PM
MH's glass or no glass pt Reefs 1 August 28th 03 09:43 AM
creating a pile of rocks Paul General 7 August 15th 03 05:51 AM