1999 Grand Voyageur Tailgate

Old July 18th 05, 01:45 AM
drdecker

Default 1999 Grand Voyageur Tailgate

My vans tailgate lock is seized. I cannot open. I have tried using WD40 and
it will not work. The key will not even go in. Is there away to open the
gate from the inside.

Old July 18th 05, 05:51 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"drdecker" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> My vans tailgate lock is seized. I cannot open. I have tried using WD40

and
> it will not work. The key will not even go in. Is there away to open the
> gate from the inside.

Go to a wrecking yard and find a Grand Voyager that has the same interior
trim color as yours. Have them carefully remove, or remove yourself, the
interior plastic that covers the back of the tailgate. Obtain the lock
cylinder
at the same time.

Take the lock cylinder to a locksmith with your key and have him rekey
the cylinder.

Now take a electric saber saw and drill and hack a hole in the inside
plastic of your
van over the lock, take care not to cut into anything important (like
wiring) reach in,
disengage the lock, open the gate, unscrew the inside plastic and throw it
away,
replace the lock, replace the inside plastic.

Probably will set you back $50.

Ted

Old July 18th 05, 09:38 AM
maxpower

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> "drdecker" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> > My vans tailgate lock is seized. I cannot open. I have tried using WD40

> and
> > it will not work. The key will not even go in. Is there away to open the
> > gate from the inside.
> >

> Go to a wrecking yard and find a Grand Voyager that has the same interior
> trim color as yours. Have them carefully remove, or remove yourself, the
> interior plastic that covers the back of the tailgate. Obtain the lock
> cylinder
> at the same time.
>
> Take the lock cylinder to a locksmith with your key and have him rekey
> the cylinder.
>
> Now take a electric saber saw and drill and hack a hole in the inside
> plastic of your
> van over the lock, take care not to cut into anything important (like
> wiring) reach in,
> disengage the lock, open the gate, unscrew the inside plastic and throw it
> away,
> replace the lock, replace the inside plastic.
>
> Probably will set you back $50.
>
> Ted

It probably has nothing to do with thte lock, its the door lock acuator
motor that is seized up, A common problem for that device, as I said you
have to pop the interior panel off from inside, then pop the door open to
replace the acuator

Old July 19th 05, 10:10 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> It probably has nothing to do with thte lock, its the door lock acuator
> motor that is seized up, A common problem for that device, as I said you
> have to pop the interior panel off from inside, then pop the door open to
> replace the acuator

Well, he did say he couldn't get the key in the lock.

Ted

Don't buy Dodge justme Dodge 10 July 13th 05 06:40 AM
1999 3 Series convertible Tom Scales BMW 2 March 6th 05 06:28 PM
Tailgate latch replacement Thom Jeep 4 January 15th 05 10:30 AM
Ferodo brake pad code for 1999 BMW E39 520i vricardo BMW 0 December 9th 04 03:35 PM
HELP: 2001 wagon tailgate locks constantly Gabe Saturn 2 October 27th 04 02:47 PM