Limited Slip Differential

Old August 30th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
adla11

Default Limited Slip Differential

Hi, does anyone have an opinion about this? One mechanic I spoke to
said it's highly probable that the grinding sound I hear for the first
couple of minutes of driving the car (the sound then dissipates after a
couple of minutes) means that the LSD needs to be replaced.

Another said it MIGHT need to be replaced, but changing the diff oil
might solve the problem.

We're talking about a 1989 Toyota Cressida, with about 120,000/miles.

Neither of the mechs actually physically inspected the diff, but they
both DO know my car rather well. I'm just not sure why one is so sure
it needs to be replaced. Maybe it's based on the expected lifespan of
this part?

Thanksya for any ideas.

Old August 30th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
lptpsam

"adla11" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, does anyone have an opinion about this? One mechanic I spoke to
> said it's highly probable that the grinding sound I hear for the first
> couple of minutes of driving the car (the sound then dissipates after a
> couple of minutes) means that the LSD needs to be replaced.
>
> Another said it MIGHT need to be replaced, but changing the diff oil
> might solve the problem.
>
> We're talking about a 1989 Toyota Cressida, with about 120,000/miles.
>
> Neither of the mechs actually physically inspected the diff, but they
> both DO know my car rather well. I'm just not sure why one is so sure
> it needs to be replaced. Maybe it's based on the expected lifespan of
> this part?
>
> Thanksya for any ideas.

Based on my experience with domestic cars, I'd 1st check & see if Toyota
makes an additive for this diff'l. Then chg. the diff'l. lube, using this
additive if it exists. I've seen it quieten several GM's. HTH, s.

Old August 30th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

adla11 wrote:

> Hi, does anyone have an opinion about this? One mechanic I spoke to
> said it's highly probable that the grinding sound I hear for the first
> couple of minutes of driving the car (the sound then dissipates after a
> couple of minutes) means that the LSD needs to be replaced.
>
> Another said it MIGHT need to be replaced, but changing the diff oil
> might solve the problem.
>
> We're talking about a 1989 Toyota Cressida, with about 120,000/miles.
>
> Neither of the mechs actually physically inspected the diff, but they
> both DO know my car rather well. I'm just not sure why one is so sure
> it needs to be replaced. Maybe it's based on the expected lifespan of
> this part?
>
> Thanksya for any ideas.

LSD's can be noisy. They have either cone-type or multi-plate clutches
that can chatter under certain conditions, but ONLY when turning a
corner so that the rear wheels are spinning at different speeds. If your
car is grinding when driving in a straight line, I'd doubt that its a
problem with the LSD. Also, did Toyota Cressidas even *have* LSDs as an
option? And with 120k miles, I'd be highly doubtful that the LSD would
even still be working, at least not well. They typically need to be
re-clutched or replaced (the cone-type generally don't have replaceable
clutches) around every 100k miles.
Old August 30th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

Ask the mechanic to attach switchable microphones to various parts of
the car then take it for a drive. He should be able to isolate the
source quickly.

Old August 31st 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Elbert

Did that model car come with limited slip?

I guess that's what you are referring to. If the car does
have limited slip and its making the noise then I doubt changing the
fluid would have any effect.

Usually noise from the "rear-end" is a bad thing and translates
into $$$.

I think it would be rather easy to figure out if noise was coming from
the rear differential..

I would want someone to look at the car first hand to confirm that the
problem is in the "rear".

On 30 Aug 2006 09:57:58 -0700, "adla11" > wrote:

>Hi, does anyone have an opinion about this? One mechanic I spoke to
>said it's highly probable that the grinding sound I hear for the first
>couple of minutes of driving the car (the sound then dissipates after a
>couple of minutes) means that the LSD needs to be replaced.
>
>Another said it MIGHT need to be replaced, but changing the diff oil
>might solve the problem.
>
>We're talking about a 1989 Toyota Cressida, with about 120,000/miles.
>
>Neither of the mechs actually physically inspected the diff, but they
>both DO know my car rather well. I'm just not sure why one is so sure
>it needs to be replaced. Maybe it's based on the expected lifespan of
>this part?
>
>Thanksya for any ideas.

-----------
Elbert

Old August 31st 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

adla11 wrote:

> Hi, does anyone have an opinion about this? One mechanic I spoke to
> said it's highly probable that the grinding sound I hear for the first
> couple of minutes of driving the car (the sound then dissipates after a
> couple of minutes) means that the LSD needs to be replaced.
>
> Another said it MIGHT need to be replaced, but changing the diff oil
> might solve the problem.
>
> We're talking about a 1989 Toyota Cressida, with about 120,000/miles.
>
> Neither of the mechs actually physically inspected the diff, but they
> both DO know my car rather well. I'm just not sure why one is so sure
> it needs to be replaced. Maybe it's based on the expected lifespan of
> this part?
>
> Thanks for any ideas.

Replace the fluids, and drive it until it dies.......
a 1989 is not worth putting tons of money into.

Bob

Old August 31st 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
RayV

lptpsam wrote:
> Based on my experience with domestic cars, I'd 1st check & see if Toyota
> makes an additive for this diff'l. Then chg. the diff'l. lube, using this
> additive if it exists. I've seen it quieten several GM's. HTH, s.

Put in a LS additive and top off the axle fluid and drive the car in a
figure 8 pattern in a parking lot at low speed. Fixed my problem for
$10.

Old September 1st 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ad absurdum per aspera

> Also, did Toyota Cressidas even *have* LSDs as an option?

Some Toyotas of the era certainly had it as an option in differentials
or transaxles. I discovered this when perusing an owner's manual,
perhaps for one of the family fleet of late 80s Camrys, perhaps for a
'90 Corolla -- if memory serves, all Canadian models got the traction
device on whatever car that was, though it was an option (and in my
experience not a terribly common one) on US versions.

There seems to be considerable interest in the subject among
aficionados of the Toyota Supra, which, in its post Celica days, I
think was a platform cousin of the Cressida.

Limited slip BDragon Corvette 9 February 10th 06 06:00 AM
limited slip clutches gorrilla Corvette 4 October 11th 05 11:57 PM
No limited slip in 2006? HerkyJerky Ford Explorer 5 August 27th 05 12:55 AM
limited slip rear damnnickname Ford Mustang 15 November 30th 04 08:31 AM
Limited Slip Differencial Clutches 97 Chevy 2500 2WD Jess2084 4x4 0 November 29th 04 11:13 PM