1998 VW Jetta: No Dash / Instrument panel lights,.

Old August 20th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Terrence

Default 1998 VW Jetta: No Dash / Instrument panel lights,.

I have a 1998 Jetta GL that the interior instrument and dash lights will not
illuminate or turn on. However, I do have exterior head lights / tail
lights / turn signals / hazards as well as the overhead reading lights.

Turn signal/ hazards / high beam indicator works on the instrument
cluster, other wise, its all dark. All fuses seem intact with no to a
blown state. In chatting with a VW service guy, he speculated that the
dimmer roll switch - "rheostat" near the headlight switch might be broke.
The factory replacement for this is about 120.00 dollars plus a shop labor
of 89.00 / hour. If anyone has had this part replaced, I would appreciate
you sharing your experiences. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Terrence

Old August 20th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jonny

"Terrence" > wrote in message
>I have a 1998 Jetta GL that the interior instrument and dash lights will
>not
> illuminate or turn on. However, I do have exterior head lights / tail
> lights / turn signals / hazards as well as the overhead reading lights.
>
> Turn signal/ hazards / high beam indicator works on the instrument
> cluster, other wise, its all dark. All fuses seem intact with no to a
> blown state. In chatting with a VW service guy, he speculated that the
> dimmer roll switch - "rheostat" near the headlight switch might be broke.
> The factory replacement for this is about 120.00 dollars plus a shop
> labor
> of 89.00 / hour. If anyone has had this part replaced, I would
> appreciate
> you sharing your experiences. Thanks in advance for the replies.
>
> Terrence

A rheostat typically develops a bad spot before going entirely bad, if it
goes entirely bad at all. Play with it in the evening hours so you can see
illumination properly. If its not responding, check elsewhere. The actual
connector of the rheostat may be contaminated or damaged for instance.
--
Jonny

Old August 20th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many Daves

so is it on the same fuse as the overhead lights?
I would suspect the fuse first but I would also assume that it powers
something else.
Then I would test that dimmer switch and related wiring.

Old August 20th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"Terrence" > wrote in message
>I have a 1998 Jetta GL that the interior instrument and dash lights will
>not illuminate or turn on. However, I do have exterior head lights / tail
>lights / turn signals / hazards as well as the overhead reading lights.
>
> Turn signal/ hazards / high beam indicator works on the instrument
> cluster, other wise, its all dark. All fuses seem intact with no to a
> blown state. In chatting with a VW service guy, he speculated that the
> dimmer roll switch - "rheostat" near the headlight switch might be broke.
> The factory replacement for this is about 120.00 dollars plus a shop
> labor of 89.00 / hour. If anyone has had this part replaced, I would
> appreciate you sharing your experiences. Thanks in advance for the
> replies.

If you do end up needing a new switch, do it yourself...really! You can
save the labor (it does not take an hour to relplace this item).

This is what you want:
http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/pro...ber=1H6998531E

This one is actually better than your existing switch b/c it has a parking
lamp setting as well as settings for front and rear foglamps. You probably
don't have them (fogs) now but you can add them later with this switch if
you want to. And you also get a parking lamp setting too.

Anyway, if you look at the new switch, you'll see a spring loaded tab on the
left side and on the top. All you need to do is gently pry those same tabs
on your current switch (usually w/something long and thin/flat like a butter
knife), gently pull it out, unclip the wiring connector from the back, and
then installation of the new switch is the reverse of removal. However,
test the lighting before you clip the new one fully into the dash (just to
make sure). But that's it! It's an easy replacement.

Old August 20th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Peter Parker

In article <cg1Gg.1951$rT5.125@fed1read01>, Matt B. > wrote:
>"Terrence" > wrote in message
>>I have a 1998 Jetta GL that the interior instrument and dash lights will
>>not illuminate or turn on. However, I do have exterior head lights / tail
>>lights / turn signals / hazards as well as the overhead reading lights.
>>
>> Turn signal/ hazards / high beam indicator works on the instrument
>> cluster, other wise, its all dark. All fuses seem intact with no to a
>> blown state. In chatting with a VW service guy, he speculated that the
>> dimmer roll switch - "rheostat" near the headlight switch might be broke.
>> The factory replacement for this is about 120.00 dollars plus a shop
>> labor of 89.00 / hour. If anyone has had this part replaced, I would
>> appreciate you sharing your experiences. Thanks in advance for the
>> replies.

>If you do end up needing a new switch, do it yourself...really! You can
>save the labor (it does not take an hour to relplace this item).

It could also NOT be the switch. If the car was being driven for years without
the lights, the lights could be in need of replacement or just readjusting
in the instrument cluster. They lose connectivity in the socket after a while.
This isn't a hard job, just take your time and be careful so you don't break
the plastic.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...