Looking for 1958 Plymouth repro 150 MPH speedo plate.

Old March 30th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Looking for 1958 Plymouth repro 150 MPH speedo plate.

Hi,
I'm currently restoring a 1958 Plymouth 120mph speedo head to
"Christine" specs.
I've already got the odometer to run backwards,now I just need a 150
MPH speedo head plate and matching transmission gear to make it
complete.
I remember seeing repro 150 MPH speedo head plates awhile back, can any
one here steer me in the right direction?

Old March 30th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

http://www.moparmel.com/home/home.html (scroll down).
Old March 31st 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Frank Grimes (Homer's Enemy) wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently restoring a 1958 Plymouth 120mph speedo head to
> "Christine" specs.
> I've already got the odometer to run backwards,now I just need a 150
> MPH speedo head plate and matching transmission gear to make it
> complete.
> I remember seeing repro 150 MPH speedo head plates awhile back, can any
> one here steer me in the right direction?

For those of us that don't know, was the 150 MPH speedo a valid option
for 1958, or was it something made up for the *Christine * movie?

Was it available only for the Golden Fury, or could it be had on the
Belvedere and the Savoy as well? Just curious.

-Kirk Matheson

Old April 2nd 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

The 150mph speedo head was specific to the Fury model only. All other
models came with the 120 mph speedo head.
All Plymouths in 1958, from the top of the line Fury to the lowly Plaza
could have been ordered with the 350 ci motor with the option of 2x4's
Also contrary to movie producers and novelists, a 1958 Plymouth "Fury"
DID NOT come in red and white .
Buckskin Beige with gold annodized trim was the only way the 1958
Plymouth "Fury" was offered from the factory.
The 1958 Plymouth Belvedere did come in red and white, but I guess the
name "Fury" was more suitable to a demonic car than Belvedere, Plaza,
or Savoy.

Old April 2nd 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Remember, Stephen King is a Mopar enthusiast. He seems to have known
the '58 Fury wasn't offered in red and white, which may be why he
specified in detail in the novel that the red/white paint job had been
specially ordered by the original owner, Roland LeBay. I'm pretty sure
that bit of dialogue made it into the movie, as well.

What does not wash, though, is the bit in the novel where the car is
described as having a "Hurst shifter". We know from other descriptions
in the book that it has an automatic transmission, which would've been
pushbutton-controlled in '58. Ergo, no Hurst shifter.

Old April 3rd 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Daniel J. Stern" > writes:

> Remember, Stephen King is a Mopar enthusiast. He seems to have known
> the '58 Fury wasn't offered in red and white, which may be why he
> specified in detail in the novel that the red/white paint job had been
> specially ordered by the original owner, Roland LeBay. I'm pretty sure
> that bit of dialogue made it into the movie, as well.
>
> What does not wash, though, is the bit in the novel where the car is
> described as having a "Hurst shifter". We know from other descriptions
> in the book that it has an automatic transmission, which would've been
> pushbutton-controlled in '58. Ergo, no Hurst shifter.

Unless a later owner converted...

Rear licence plate rattle advice pls Class 1 BMW 14 September 28th 05 07:31 PM
1982 CJ-7 Norman Jeep 35 June 19th 05 06:17 PM
FS: 1995 "Sterling Marlin #4" Limited Edition Collector Plate J.R. Sinclair General 0 March 3rd 04 06:48 AM
FS: 1992 Bill Elliott "Inaugural Season" Collector Plate J.R. Sinclair General 0 January 13th 04 06:37 AM
FS: 1997 Hamilton/McDonalds Bill Elliott "The Shining Night" Collector Plate J.R. Sinclair General 0 January 11th 04 07:36 AM